Ni-MH

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by El Tauro, Feb 6, 2012.

1. El Tauro

El Tauro Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could tell me if it is possible to purchase (preferable to building/creating) a power pack with Ni-MH rechargable batteries. Obviously they'd have to be removable...! I'd be using it to power my Fender Princeton 65 Solid State (manual/spec sheet here) and a selection of pedals, probably drawing quite a bit of current.

I'm aware that I'm perhaps being overly optimistic to expect Ni-MH batteries to do the job. My layman's analysis seems to say it won't work, or it will be highly convoluted and not worth it.

I can't get my head around the range of deep cycle batteries and SLA etc. either - I understand they would be far better suited. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. However, I think my budget (-$100) would prevent me from going with deep cycle + inverter + charger.

Any advice, potential issues, ideas or responses to my initial question would be greatly appreciated.

El Tauro

2. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

You are talking about a lot of engineering. It would probably be a hell of a lot cheaper and less of a headache to just get a rechargable amp. I am certain I seen one advertised somewhere.

3. 777

777 Member

www.cheapbatterypacks.com

I fly radio control planes and that seems to be a fair amount of their business. They make good packs and will make to your specs.

4. El Tauro

El Tauro Member

Both of those options sound great...having trouble working out an option to get to Australia. Anyone in Australia know where to find the Duracell Powerpack or an equivalent system?

As for the rechargeable amp, I'm not against them at all, and it would be handy. I'm just seeing if there is any alternative that I'm not aware of. I may yet go for a Cube Street or something similar. It's just so hard to get things in Australia - all of the Crate Taxi amps, half the roland stuff, vox, etc. - you can find it somewhere occasionally, but with no consistency. Usually no range. For example, I can only buy the Cube Street, and everything else the postage bumps the price exponentially - same with the Duracell Powerpack.

Thanks guys.