Nice addition to a CS336 - Fralin P92's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doublescale1, Mar 15, 2015.

1. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Just a note from a very satisfied customer - I had a set of Fralin P92's installed in my CS336 a few weeks back - had a chance to press them into gig service right away and happy to report that they fulfilled every expectation I had for them. They are so very very close to a nice P90 in tone from top to bottom, as Lindy designed them. But they are very warm with a nicely rounded sparkle to the top end. I certainly was able to turn the treble down from my usual hum bucker setting on the amp, in this case a Carr Rambler for that gig. I play in a Classic R&B/Blues Rock 8 piece with horns and do a lot of Cropper'esque chord partials to fit better in the band mix and the P92's were perfect for filling in that rhythm mid-to-top of the band mix. Thanks to the mad-winding skills of Fralin Pickups. The P92's seem to be a perfect match for the CS336.

2. Digidog

Digidog Member

3. doublescale1

ok - I'll try to get a phone pic of the guitar done in the next day or so - mine is a "plain-top" vintage burst - no flame, just wonderful tone.

4. doublescale1

so here is a quick phone photo of my CS336 and the new set of P92's.
    [​IMG]

5. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I am seriously considering installing P92s in my 336. I recently installed a set of Fralin P92s in a Custom Made Grosh Cabronita Style Telecaster. = Wow! soft velvet tone, with incredible articulation and clarity.

6. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

Cool axe!

I might put P-92s in my 335 as well. Not happy with the muddy PAF style pickups in there now, despite them being highly rated boutique pups. Just not my taste.

I have a twangmaster in the neck of another guitar and it is amazing but very bright. I think the p-92 might be best best of both worlds.