Which amp will pair well with Matchless C-30 in a modern worship setting

• Morgan SW50

• Two Rock Studio Pro

• Dr. Z Route 66

• Other (please list)

Results are only viewable after voting.

jbright44

Silver Supporting Member
Ok guys I'm looking for some opinions here from everyone.

I play at a pretty rock and roll church and we have some budget to buy some backline gear. Currently we have a Matchless HC-30 that is a house amp and are looking to get a second amp. The style of music we play is modern worship stuff (Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc) as you might imagine (for you non church dudes, think U2). We generally have 2 electric players and want to get an amp that will pair nicely with the HC-30 but will have a contrasting type of tone.

So here is the short list of requirements:

• Pairs well with Matchless HC-30 and has a contrasting tone
  • 50 Watts max
  • Available in head
  • Extremely simple amp. There is a wide variety of people that play with a wide variety of gear knowledge so it needs to be able to dial in a very good tone quickly and easily with very few
    options (i.e. tons of knobs and switches)
  • It should take pedals well.
  • Good clean headroom
  • Available to test and try out in the Atlanta area. This is a must

Some of the ones we are considering are:
Morgan SW50
Dr Z Route 66
Two Rock Studio Pro

I've put a poll up for the ones here but I encourage you to offer your suggestions. Also let's try to keep this on topic. Yes you may disagree or agree or have an opinion about how churches spend money and what churches do or don't do or your view on whatever. I get it. If you want to have a discussion with me about it, feel free to PM me. But let's keep this thread on topic.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
In terms of tone, seems to me the Two Rock is kind of the ying to the Matchless yang. That's what I would pick if I was looking for contrast.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
The Matchless is British sounding, so with the options listed I'd go Morgan or Two Rock for an American flavor.

andersmv

I would look at some larger Swart amps if there are any in shops around Atlanta. That would be a nice contrast!

jbright44

Silver Supporting Member
Hambucker up by Chattanooga has them. We may ride up there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

lukeII

I would go with an FTR37 or out of your selection the DrZ 66. The Two Rock and Dumble are probably too smooth if you like the feel of a MAtchless

Blakemore

Silver Supporting Member
does the JTM have the clean head room?
Not the Fender Twin completely clean headroom, but neither does the DC30. Both the DC30 and JTM have that nice harmonic compression style of clean headroom that moves on into breakup.

I toured with that stereo setup for a few years rig playing camps and churches and headroom was never an issue for me.

jbright44

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe I haven't been clear. The setup I'm talking about is not bi-amp set up but two guitar players, one playing the matchless, one playing this new amp.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
I think a plexi style with a MV or an attenuator would pair well with a C30. Or maybe a Fuchs ODS if you want real contrast.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
SW50 would be a cool contrast. That's my vote. I have a Clubman, so I'm a big fan of the Matchless sound. I think a big Fender-ish sound would round out the stage tones very well. Also, don't write off the Hot Rod Deluxe III. Killer clean tones with a simple speaker swap.

más_fuerte

Gold Supporting Member
I voted for the Two Rock. I think it would pair up nicely with the British sound of the Matchless.

Out of curiosity, will both amps be used for lead/rhythm, or will one be for lead and the other for rhythm?

jbright44

Silver Supporting Member
más_fuerte;17282310 said:
I voted for the Two Rock. I think it would pair up nicely with the British sound of the Matchless.

Out of curiosity, will both amps be used for lead/rhythm, or will one be for lead and the other for rhythm?
It really depends on the skills of the guys playing. If we have two guys playing that are good, we'll divide the leads up between the two just to keep it fun for everyone. When we have a guy play that isn't quite as good, the better player will get all the lead work. It really just depends.

Blakemore

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe I haven't been clear. The setup I'm talking about is not bi-amp set up but two guitar players, one playing the matchless, one playing this new amp.

Still recommend the JTM45 ;)

Gearopenia

Silver Supporting Member
If what you list I think a Marshall or fender is the way to go.
Two rock and D style aren't really plug and play and the part about multiple players with different abilities and knowledge makes me think u need something that contrasts the Matchless yet plug and play as the C30'is

Trending Topics