Nice article about Mooer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sgguitarzz, Nov 30, 2019.

1. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

It's the one gold nugget in that detritus-from-a-whale-vent I just unleashed.

rizla likes this.
  2. Gear Ears 4 Years

Gear Ears 4 Years Member

It's nice to be informed about a company you have done or may do business with in the future. I've owned several Mooer products but will discontinue the practice in the future. I think a thread like this is a good (and much needed) reminder about the integrity (or lack thereof) of many of the vendors we deal with on a daily basis.
    Think going into the new year I'll resolve to stick with reputable vendors and place more value on ethical standards by the businesses I deal with.
    It would probably make sense to create a thread with a comprehensive list of known ethical offenders and crooks in this little niche of ours. If one already has been then we should update it regularly.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    sanfi4u likes this.
  3. WWW

WWW Supporting Member

Great band.

willc68 and Help!I'maRock! like this.
  4. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

Mooer are just making 'products' so the only way to 'hurt' them is to not buy them.

I totally respect your right to be ethical but I rather doubt many people would either care enough or can afford to support more expensive reputable vendors.

I would guess that most of us are 'just musicians' and we use whatever we can to make the noises we want at the prices we can afford among all the other chaos and expenses we encounter everyday in our lives.

If it meant waiting months of saving for a real Suhr Riot or buying a Mooer Solo now for a 5th of the price, or months of scrimping and saving for an original EHX Electric Mistress rather than a readily available Mooer Elec Lady clone, I would imagine most on a musician's budget would choose the path of least resistance!

5. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Blues Mood
    Yellow Comp
    90 Orange
    Black Secret
    Hustle Drive
    Ensemble King.........

6. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Weren’t they recently successfully sued for directly copying an American pedal?

7. lefort_1

Some of the data in these articles is Reverb-specific for sales, and some is not,
    BUT, it doesn't look like Mooer has made a big move on the top producers, and they lack a pedal in the top unit's bought.
    In fact, some of the pedals in the lists have Mooer-equivalents.
    ... so maybe, the average musician is NOT finding Mooer to be the answer? I dunno.
    They've been around long enough so they aren't just an 'unknown, new face'.

https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-pedals-of-2017
    https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-pedals-of-2018

8. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Nothing more or less than a "Puff piece". I have nothing against Mooer pedals in general; I have the ELady, which does the Mistress thing, in a fashion, but the article reads more like an advertorial than journalism.

lefort_1 likes this.
  9. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Mooer were part of my early exploration into pedals, so even though I no longer own any of their products, they launched me into discovering the tones I was looking for at the time.

TonePilot likes this.
  10. lefort_1

Ugh.
    A puff piece written on a website produced by a 'member' of BandLabTechnologies, which is a Singapore-based consortium of brands and retailers... sales/sales/sales and nothing but 'good vibes' from these folks.
    From the bottom of Guitar.com's home page:
    https://bandlabtechnologies.com/brands/bandlab-technologies/#our-brands

... just one big, happy marketing group.

spiral, the_Chris, rizla and 6 others like this.
  11. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Member

Or why not look at pedals from MXR? Electro Harmonix, or Wampler? Those are budget priced pedals without resorting to chinese junk.

SG-Slinger likes this.
  12. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

MXR and EHX are half made in overseas anyway. They are assembled here in the US, however.

halfmanhalfgear likes this.
  13. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

It does look as though they were successfully sued by EHX for copyright infringement. So I guess my original reluctance was well founded. If they'd have ripped off Vertex, I'd have just called it poetic justice and moved on, but still no Chinese pedals for me.

TonePilot likes this.
  14. soma

soma Member

Also from what I have learned on TGP and varying degrees of praising the freeze market, one man's ethical is another man's missed opportunity to do someone out of a few dollars.

15. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

You’re thinking of Moen and the Fuzz Moo.

16. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

I wish it were that simple: they are all "Chinese junk" -but most now are most certainly not. I've never had a unit fail on me and if it did (and I still wanted that particular sound) it would be a no brainer to buy another or two at these prices. Their casings and power jacks are more solid and precisely installed than those on a USA brand I own (I will not mention who because I have always otherwise loved their products).

The components within pedals are all sourced from the same Eastern factories so at that point I ask myself, why would I pay 10 times for the same components in similar or occasionally worse casings? Pride? Snobbery? It just doesn't make any sense.

I recently set up an Indonesian Squier Strat recently which cost less than an MXR mini pedal and it played better and sounded much better than the things I started playing on 35 years ago. All tvs, phones and digital gear has improved so much that to dismiss it all as 'junk' and cling to particular brand names, countries of origin and the past is becoming counter productive, IMHO.

MXR are beginning to develop their mini pedal line as indeed Wampler have and this is great for consumer choice but not all circuit types are yet available in mini format -if that is particularly what you're after.

17. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

Wampler are budget pedals? I agree they're not among the highest-priced of the "boutique" brands, but a standard Wampler drive pedal will easily set you back 4 times the price of a Mooer. Definitely not a 1:1 alternative in terms of price for most players.

I agree in general though - I'll rather look for used pedals from the big brands instead of buying new from the clone brands. A used Boss drive won't generally cost much more than a brand new Mooer.

sanfi4u and halfmanhalfgear like this.
  18. Warkli

Warkli Member

Well, i heard some good reviews about GE-300 and a little about Hustle Drive (OCD clone). Never tried them though, after i bought a Mooer Shimverb and a mini ModFactory it was hard to expect anything good from Mooer. Cheap is good but that was complete waste of money. ModFactory has 11 different modulation type and with 3 knobs it has endless settings. If i could find at least 1 usable sound i wouldn't write these. I hate saying bad things about a company or a pedal builder.

If you are a complete beginner in a budget and want to explore stompboxes as a toy and see what you like/dislike, then Mooer could be an option (Big apologize from professional Mooer users). Even that case i would recommend a decent multifx unit.

19. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Imagine how blatant this must have been for a Chinese court to side with a US company.

pdxken and Bill Lumberg like this.