Nice delay w/ tap tempo....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tlester, Oct 26, 2005.

1. tlester

tlester Member

Hi Guys -

Can someone recommend me a good sounding delay that has a tap tempo function?

-Tom

2. buzzdog

buzzdog Member

I have a DD-6 with Analogman Mod and it sounds great. In fact I like it better than my Maxon AD-9. If I could do it again I'd find the DD-5 and have it modded since it has an external jack for tap tempo instead of holding the pedal down for 2 seconds.

Bryan

3. g-nem

g-nem Member

First off- The DD20 has won it's place in my rig as the ultimate delay- sounds great, presets are nice, and easy to use tap tempo- 2 taps with an external pedal. That's my reccomendation.

Just for fun I tried to remember all the pedals that have tap tempo- there aren't that many.

The boss DD5 option is ok if you like the sound of the bodd dd5 ;-)

The digitech digidelay hasn't gotten the best sound reviews and has the same awkward hold-to-tap thing the DD6 does.

The memory lane has tap I think- though it is pricey, I bet people who have it are real happy.

The DLS echotap

Line 6 echo park

The akai headrush I used to have an akai G1 and liked it but sold it when they were going for ridiculous amounts after they were discontinued. I replaced it with a DL4 which I never liked.

T-rex replica

Danelectro wasabi

That's all I can think of- my reccomendations would be the DD20 or akai headrush unless you want to spend the $$$ on the memory lane or replica.

4. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Memory Lane. A definite, definite winner.

Jeff

5. meterman

meterman Member

Really digging my DD20, great sounding delay and with an external momentary footswitch I get full-time tap tempo in any setting.

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on dd-20.

I use mine with external footswitch

7. drolling

drolling Member

A "good sounding delay with tap tempo"?

Memory Lane. No question. Really tough to go back to digital emulations after having the ML on my board these past few weeks.

If anything, it's actually increased my jones for an Echoczar, which I've been on a waiting list for since before I'd even heard of Diamond Pedals..

8. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I was on this search for a while and my search ended with the DLS EchoTAP. I'm a happy camper :)

9. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Memory Lane all the way! What an incredibly Toneful unit! My DD-20 is sitting cold and lonely since its arrival. Who cares about price if the Tone is there.-Eric

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm I the only one that doesn't consider Analog Delay the be all end all???:D

I prefer the clarity of a digital delay that has it's high end rolled of a bit. I've got an AD900, I love it, but it is TOO murky for 80% of what I want in a delay. Also... although the Tube Tape Echo is *warm*, it is still much, much clearer than my AD-900 and other Analog delay's I've heard.

This is why I prefer, over any delay, for live use and recording my Line 6 Echo Park. It has updated software by which the tone is a ton better than the DL4. The Tap Tempo works great. And it's only about $140. Heavy SOB though!

11. tlester

tlester Member

Yes... I'm not a huge analog fan either. For percussive stuff, yes... but not for real melodic stuff. I DO did tape delay, though. But who can afford a real tape delay? I can't. I've heard horror stories about the DL4's tone, so I'll pass on that. The DLS seems pretty cool. A good compremise between tone and price. I may have to check out the echo park, too.

-Tom

12. James Knox

James Knox Member

I use 2 delays on my board. A Boss DD6 (on a True Bypass Looper) for long endless wash of sound tones - especially the WARP funtion...

AND

a DLS EchoTap for warm repeating goodness! Toggle back and forth from a fat half second repeat to a tapped tempo!

James

13. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Another vote for the Echo Tap!

14. DavidE

DavidE Member

I actually have 3 at this point.

The Line6 Delay Modeler (DL4) is great for live use. 3 choices of delay types and tap tempo. The only issue is that it takes up a lot of real estate.

SO, I am currently using my Boss DD6. But I don't turn off the delay much during the night. It's always on, but it's more subtle than what I'd like for certain solos (that's where the DL4 comes in handy.... set one for rhythm use, one for slapback and one for echoey leads). I do have to anticipate turning it off since it's not an instant on/off kind of the thing.

I have a DD5 in my box of gadgets that I used to use. It takes up 2 pedal spots, but I think it sounds just fine, has instant on/off and tap with an external pedal (I usually use a small sustain pedal from a keyboard rather than the larger Boss FSU). But again, it's one delay sound.

Never heard of some of the boutique ones mentioned above.

15. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

+ 1 for the DD20.

I had one for a couple weeks and sold it because I thought it was too hard to use. Then, in the endless pursuit of the perfect rig, picked one up again and couldn't be happier. If I remember correctly, Musicians Friend accidentally listed the price as $179 for a couple of issues and Guitar Center HAD to offer it at that price. I couldn't pass that up.

16. e-flat

e-flat Member

I picked up a DD20 a couple of weeks ago. A store had one in like new shape for $119, so I jumped on it.
    Overall, I think it is great...probably has more capabilities than I'll ever use. The ability to store presets, the tap tempo, and the really nice Analog and Tape modes (with the ability to control the tone of the repeats) are basically what sold me on it. Great box, and the first BOSS I've bought since I was 15 years old :D

17. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

Yeah that DD-20 might be great but damn! It is an ugly box.

All those knobs and flashing lights... It looks like a something from an eighties sci fi movie.

I wish the Replica was Pedal Power 2 friendly.
    I wish the Memory Lane had longer delay time.
    I wish the Delayla XL and the DL-4 weren't so big and ugly.
    I wish the AD 999 had tap tempo.
    I wish there was such a thing as a perfect delay pedal.

Oh wel...

18. g-nem

g-nem Member

3 things I wish the DD20 had:

Real analog knob for delay time glitchiness (although the digital glitchiness of the rotary knob is pretty cool.)

Size of one boss pedal.

Functional looper.

IMO, all three of those things are nothing compared to a delay that sounds good, has tap tempo, and has a few presets. I guess the highest praise I can give the DD-20 is that it is functional. Which is a big deal!

19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

g-nem, the echopark meets your requirements, except for the looper.

20. tlester

tlester Member

How's the tap on the echopark? Does it work well?