Nice looking limited edition DSL40c

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sstweed, Apr 28, 2015.

1. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

There's a white tolex version too. I love the basket weave Marshall look. I wonder if I could just get the front grille for my plain Jane black DSL?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Nice! Is this a recent edition?

3. sstweed

Just showed up in a musicians friend catalog (or was it guitar center?) tonight. First I've seen of it.

4. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

I like that, very nice!

5. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Ha ha marshall is reacting to blackstars vintage looking club 40. Silly companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

What does a 'vintage Blackstar' look like???

7. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Nothing like this

8. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I would love to do the same with mine. If you find a source for that new grille let me know!

9. sstweed

I'll check. I haven't even had time to check mine to see if that panel comes off. Being a lower end product it's probably glued in and not easily converted. :(

10. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I had a DSL 40c for a short time, I put a vintage 30 in there and it sounded way better.

11. sstweed

I've put a bunch of different speakers in mine. CL80, scumback H75, Scumback M75, V30, Scumback M75LD, 12-65. Sometimes I think I didn't give the 70-80 enough time. I played out with it once and it did pretty good in a mix actually. But at home next to these other speakers, well, the others sound so much better that I just want to keep playing them instead of the 70-80. The 70-80 might break in enough to start sounding good but it just seems like a bright speaker in a bright amp. Not typically a good combo for me. I think that 70-80 might take a while to break in properly.

12. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

13. ken374

ken374 Member

I have just over 40hrs on mine, it smoothed out pretty good and I changed the preamp tubes out. At times with my Les Paul it still seems a little bright on the red, readjusted the neck pup and that helped. I know before when I was standing away like 15 feet it was pretty bright now its just about right. Volume at 4.5 green channels nice and warm crunchy tones. I prb will change it when the cash comes in maybe.

The tone just stays nice and tight when playing loud not like some amps the bass flubs, dynamics are awesome! Some nos tubes warm it up! One of my all time favorites and I had many some 3 times the price. And it has zero noises in this combo, no tubes rattling!!

14. ken374

ken374 Member

15. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Marshall screwed up with the dsl 40. If they would have put in a better speaker, had the red gain stage less fizzy, and added separate eq for each channel, the amp would have attracted a different class of buyers. So many guys get this amp and sell it off out of frustration.

16. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

a better speaker reduces some of the fizz

17. sstweed

It's so close. One of the most versatile amps Marshall has made. For the money it is useful and if carefully setup, pretty good tone can be had. There are no great tones in the amp. But there are good tones. And the price and versatility are very good. Worth a new speaker so far I think.

18. ken374

ken374 Member

I had used Celestion blue, green backs, Eminence GB 128, V30 ect in all kinds of amps and I dont really find the DSL fizzy! Cheap tubes are,crap cables and not having your guitar setup and adjusted proper all adds up. I hate when people cry oh that pedal is fizzy or the amps fizzy maybe your fizzy? cant setup a amp or pedals?? I f I see something I don't like in the sound I fiddle with tubes or what ever to get the best out of it. How about adjusting your pups maybe you have them little high? moral, there many things that come into play when getting good tone. My tone is pretty dam clean and clear, pretty far from fizzy. I was pretty impressed when I first cranked the amp but I already had some of my tubes in.

19. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

I use high quality gear. That amp is fizzy on the red channel. The green channel is nice.

20. sstweed

Played out last night with a G12-65 Heritage speaker in my DSL. It sounded quite nice. Green channel of course. That speaker is voiced such that it minimizes that tone traits of the DSL I don't like and gives a great tone that sat well in the mix. Next week i might try it with a Scumback m75-LD. That is a VERY good sounding speaker.