Nice new pedal...why don't I like it more?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electronpirate, Aug 2, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

After looking for a clean boost pedal, I've picked up the Xotic RC Booster. Playing through an Egnater MOD 50.

After a week or so of playing with it, I'm pretty unimpressed. Not EXACTLY sure what it is either. Yes, it seems that highs are more clear, but also that in some midrange it seems, well, muddy. Amp sounds better without it. It also completely took away the dynamics of the amp...same volume of output when guitar volume is 10 down to 1.5, then SOME cleanup, then off. A/B with it off, and on, and I guess I feel a little like, well, ripped off.

Put it through the loop to try that...not bad, I guess.

So I guess my impression is that it doesn't sound BAD, but neither does it sound good. And I really wanted this thing to sound good.

From reviews here I expected pretty much sonic Nirvana. I realize I'll probably be lone wolf out here. Just wonder if I can get some money back on this thing...

EP

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

How much gain are you running on the amp?

3. Medication

Medication Member

Maybe the ZVex SHO or Super Duper is what you're looking for?

4. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

All pedals change your signal some better than others but if you like pedals (I do) you have to get used to the idea of a changed signal. Now if you like it or not is another question.

Also, do you need it or not..usually not. JMHO YMMV

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

For some reason or another some pedals don't work as well with some amps as they do others but I guess you can say that about anything.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Exactly the right question. A clean boost only works if the amp has remaining headroom, otherwise you'll just get saturation and sometimes frequency shifts (as you are getting in the mids).

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've tried it through all the stages:
    Bassman
    Bassman pushed
    SL
    SL2

And I do want to reiterate I'm not bashing the pedal, but I do agree with the comment that some amps just don't like certain pedals, etc.

Ah well, a worthy experiment.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I a/b-ed my friends RC Booster with my Catalinbread SCP. The SCP won hands down. The only thing the RC did better was a completely transparent volume boost. The SCP gives me a volume boost, but makes my amp sound and feel like so much more than it is, like a werewolf on the full moon

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

The RC is designed to be a transparent boost. Other boosts, including some "clean" boosts, are designed to be non transparent.

10. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

The midrange IS muddy, I agree.

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Hmm... I love the Hotcake Bluesberry for a neutral boost (or a bigger kick in the pants to the amp!), and you can dial in some "presence" as well...

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Look for a used SexDrive by Durham Electronics. Great clean boost, very powerful and clear. Has a compression switch on it too (off/soft/hard).

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

Were you by chance watching 20/20 on TV last night?

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Nope. Must be something in the air

15. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

It works great through my amp and it can get some pretty awesome broken up tones. When I tried it through my friends custom Fuchs combo it sounded totally different. It didn't break up nearly as much when the gain control was up, however it was being played at much lower volumes. The RC booster really shines when you have the amp just about to break...Then when you slap the RC right in front of it, it can give you some very nice broken up tones....then if your fortunate to have a BB preamp on top of that....wow that is a GREAT sound. In my opinion at least...

16. carltonh

carltonh Member

IMO, almost any well designed gain pedal should be able to also get a good clean boost. My main three: Throbak ODB and MI Audio BBD & Tubezone can all do great clean boosts. I'm not sure why more OD's can't do this. I think it might be an added expense to get custom pots to make it possible.

17. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I haven't given up yet.

Going to try 'just' the solo boost and see if I was wrong about the dynamics.

18. landru64

landru64 Member

i agree that it is unimpressive. i borrowed one from scott henderson when it was first the rage. didn't get it. further comparison between another one and a landgraff boost and a jackson active gain gave me the impression of a pedal without transparency. not that it wasn't neutral frequency wise (that to me isn't transparency), but it has a cloudiness to the entirely frequency spectrum that's really obvious if you hear either of the other boosts mentioned.