Nice "Old" Blond Esquire - Authentification?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anje, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hi,

the original thread disapeared in the crash, so I first put up a few pictures of the guitar we're talking about :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a very nice Blond Esquire I bought from a forum bro a few months ago, plays nice, great vibes and feeling.
    The fact is nobody seemed to know where it came from, mix of old - recent reliced parts?... I honestly didn't care much about this, since it plays and sound so well and made me forget my former Nocaster Relic (the '49 Lap Steel pickup in there just screams!)

I had decided to ad a neck pickup in it (have a nice GVCG/Lollar waiting), and I finally had little time to take care of it these days. So I took advantage of that little work to look at the body joint, here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

looks like "A Murillo" written, with something like a date which seemed to read "mar ... 92" (not clear at all), and "52 Tele"

does anybody know what that would mean? Any known "A. Murillo" builder-luthier out there? :)

Any input appreciated, thanks!

2. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

The stamp in the neck pocket "looks" like the body stamps found on some of the Crafted In Japan Teles. Sometimes you will get a date stamp along with the guitar the body is intended for. The color of your guitar is available on Japanese 50's Teles. '92 is too early for the Custom Shop. What's the routing like underneath the pick guard? Any marks on the neck?

3. telesquire

telesquire Member

I've seen that name on Custom shop Fenders and 1992 is NOT too early for the C.Shop as it started in late 1987!In 1992 Fender CS did produce a run of 100 pale blonde 52 Tele's so its entirely possible.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Either way, that's a nice one.

5. BMF Effects

I stand corrected. What I meant to say (and brain froze on) is that '92 would be too early for a Custom Shop relic. To the best of my knowledge the relic series didn't start until '95.

6. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

the routing is classic Tele:

[​IMG]

neck looks like old Warmoth

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If it were mine and I wanted a neck pup, I'd buy a new pick guard too. That way it can be brought back to "original" if you go to sell it.

8. BMF Effects

Of course if you should decide to sell it, a PM my way would be nice. :D

9. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

don't worry, I got another pickguard for the Esquire-Tele conversion :)

BMF, sorry it stays at home :D

10. BMF Effects

It never hurts to ask.

11. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I've spoken to another forum member that has played that guitar (not the previous owner), and he said the pickup on it compared favorably to genuine 61 Esquire he had spent a lot of time with.

I believe his exact words were:
    "It rocks!"
    :D

Congrats again, Anje, on the cool guitar! Even if you never know for certain exactly what it is, what's NOT in doubt is that it's a great guitar!
    :dude

12. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

yes exactly! just being a little curious here while doing this little tech work, but it's not that important and will be well forgotten when the last screw is in place and the guitar pluged in! :dude

13. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

You got to love the Esquires; very versatile in that you can always add an extra pick up. The '52 reissues are sweet sounding guitars.

[​IMG]

Regards,

Tom

14. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I know the guitar, as Ive played it before John sold it, That is if its the one sold to Don L. Its a killer. Looks like custom shop parts, but not put together by Fender. I believe John didnt remeber who put it together, but it was not Fender.
    Great esquire though.
    O

15. MikeP

MikeP Member

16. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

Don't know much about it, except it sure looks great- beauty! Question for those who might know, when did Fender start making the 2 extra holes in the neckpocket (to secure the body to the hanger during painting, I presume)? Don't have my Tele bible handy, but I'm fairly certain it must not have been until the '90s?

17. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

THanks for the info MikeP, I've posted the thread overthere too

guitarman_1 yes it's the one, I agree it's a killer!

18. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

just a little update, the conversion is done, here's the "Telequire":

[​IMG]

before/after:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm happy to have done the conversion, I missed the neck tone and I now have a really nice intermediate position too.
    The Lollar/GVCG neck pickup sounds really nice in the guitar and is a great match to the bridge one.

btw I put away the pots that were becoming quite noisy and tried a "delta tone" one for tonality, I find it nice putting the tonality cap completely out of the circuit when full on, you really feel a little more presence and treble. That way I still have the "esquire" bridge tone untouched, so cool :dude

19. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

very nice! im a blonde fan too! i have a lollar/gvcg A5 in the bridge of my tele and it's THE pickup for that particular guitar.

and yeah, no matter what the origin of that axe is...who cares! i lookes great and ill bet it sounds and plays wonderfully too. have fun with that!

20. pokey

pokey Supporting Member