Nice overdrive pedal for Fender HRD 1x12

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by D2097, Sep 7, 2008.

1. D2097

D2097 Member

Hi,

I am running a Fender HRD 1x12 with a Gibson ES335 and was looking for suggestions on a nice OD that will work with this setup.

I am currently borrowing a Timmy and that sounds quite good but when I have to give it back next week I don't want to wait so long for another one.

I've done some looking online and these are the ones I'm considering:

Fulltone OCD/FD2
    Crowther Hot Cake
    Aphek Peanut Butter
    Keeley TS9
    Visual Sound Rt. 66

However, any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Honestly it all depends on what you want as far as tone and gain level because this amp will take just about anything you want to use. TS type pedals work well and I really like Big Muffs with it too.

3. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I used a fulltone fulldrive 2 with mine for the longest time...then I sold it for an allen accomplice for which I use a hotcake, a timmy, and a King of Tone v4 by analogman. The KOT4 sounds great with fender amps, really an incredible pedal

4. madsr

madsr Member

the Keeley BD2 mod is a great match with the HRD IMO

5. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    TS9 or Fulldrive for pedals that readily available new or used. or, shell out the money for a timmy in the forum. i don't see anything kicking the timmy off of my board...

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

What kind of guitar(s) do you prefer?

I've been using a Fender Blues Deluxe, the forerunner to the HRD, with the same clean channel (excellent pedal platform, IMO), and have had GREAT experience with a lot of different pedals. Check out my personal page below - most of the sound clips are done with this amp - and let me know if you hear anything you really like and I'll let you know what pedal(s) were used on it.

Currently I am using a Jetter Gain Stage Red as my #1 "dessert island" pedal. It gives me everything from intense growl to fat-n-sweet, and makes the amp sound truly boutique. Plus it's one of those pedals you can click on and then just work your guitar volume for a wide range of tones - all really good tones!

7. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I have found that a treble booster on the drive side with the master turned up a bit and the drive pretty low the Hot Rod sounds phenomenal with my ES-339. The Keeley TS808 sounds great on the clean channel too. If you are looking for a Marshall style crunch an OCD does the trick at least for me.

8. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I have a HRDx and feel that it has a lot of low mids. I'd get something without a mid hump. I really liked the Liquid Sunshine for that. The Gainster also sounds good. It can sound sterile with some amps but The HRDx will warm it up.

9. D2097

D2097 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Really quite helpful.

I think I will try an OCD and a Liquid Sunshine. Hopefully one of those will be suitable. I'll get to try an FD2 again with this setup. Last time I played one was in '04 at 48th St Guitars or Rudy's or whatever...anyway, it sounded real 'buzzy' to me but maybe the new ones are better or more versatile. The thing I like about the Aphek is that it's like two pedals in one and they are cheap...

10. pattste

pattste Member

I play a very similar setup (except that my Hot Rod Deluxe is a limited edition that came standard with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker instead of the Eminence Special Design). I can second the recommendation of the Keeley BD-2 Blues Driver. As a low-gain, transparent overdrive, it is my favorite.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The radial tonebone classic sounds phenomenal through the HRD. 3 levels of gain and a versatile EQ section (especially the mids) make it very easy to dial in a large range of useful tones.

12. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i run a an SG into a MI audio blues pro as a lead boost for my timmy set for light break up. sounds great. not an overly compressed lead tone at all, really dynamic and can be gritty or smoother depending on your playing.

13. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

I always thought the Blackstone Mosfet Appliance mated well with my HRD when I had the amp a few years back, better than the three Tube Works pedals, Tube Screamer, and Keeley modded Rat. Seemed to preserve the clarity of the clean channel better than the others when using the pedal as the distortion source. Didn't use it into the Drive channel, though.