nice power cable!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by CactusWren, Apr 12, 2016.

1. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

I played at a nice resort yesterday. When I showed up with my gear, I was surprised to find another system already set up. It was two paired K8s surrounding a stage. Multiple lights were set up among the cactus; a glowing ball decorated like a moon was in the background. The cords all led to a small touch-mixer off to the side. These guys used all the power there was, and it took 45 minutes to get a line run out for me to set up my single K10. I proposed just plugging into their mixer, but they didn't like the idea.

Now I finally get to the point. I really like the power cords these guys had. They were matte and looked slightly tacky. They lay nicely on the ground. They had big, cylindrical plugs. Very "pro" looking to me. The guy told me it was 12/3 (I guess that's 12 gauge/3 prong), and he said "If you order $40K from them like we do, they'll put your name on the cable, too!" Since I really only need one cable, that's not an option!

Any of you guys order cables like this?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

plugged into the regular 15A wall sockets? priceless.

take comfort that if they spent big boutique money for those silly things then their stupidity was its own punishment.

Flyin' Brian and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

We paid 50 bucks for a nice cable (50' IIRC) that has power receptacles every 5 ft or so. We run it across the stage front for access. Powered mons, boards etc. Love it!

Floyd Eye likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

5. walterw

i will admit to having bought a couple of 14/3 IEC cables in bright blue, on the theory that they at least weren't smaller than the house wiring inside the walls, and the crazy color meant they wouldn't get confused with anybody else's. (idea cribbed from mercury magnetics' bright red 14/3 cables). at least the MM ad copy doesn't make wild claims, and the cables are reasonably priced.

now, i wish they were 16/3, which would still be way more than big enough for anything i could plug into a 15A outlet, while being less stiff and bulky to wrap up at the end of the night.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Home Depot and Lowes sell heavy duty cords that have receptacles every 10' or so. I have a couple 50'ers. I also have heavy duty Yellow jackets in 25, 50 and 100' lengths.

Not all outlets that I run across are 15 amp. In fact every one in my house is a 20. That said, 14/3 is plenty for most applications.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. modulusman

modulusman Member

Nowhere did the OP say how far from power he was set up. If they were having to pull power from a 100 ft away 10 or 12 gauge would be what I would use.

8. walterw

Fair enough; long runs do indeed benefit from fatter cable.

9. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

Most of the stuff was plugged into these square kind of--things--I don't know how to describe them. I do think the one they sent to me ultimately went into a wall. That's bad then?

10. walterw

"Quad boxes"? Four outlets on a metal box, with the fat cable built-in?

Not bad at all, that's how it's done. 12g wire is just maybe bigger than it needs to be for that application is all.

11. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

12. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

The one these guys were using was a big boy, had probably 12 or more plugs in it. They were powering 4 K8s, but more importantly, a bunch of lights scattered over the mountainside.

13. loudboy

loudboy Member

If they were pro enough to order $40K worth of cable, they probably had their own distro?

14. RockoRecords

RockoRecords Member

Yea, Probably a 3 different circuit distro box with 30 amp coming out the side of it. Killed by Death is spot on, just make your own if you want it.