1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nicest sounding Chorus pedal on the market?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by regotheamigo, Oct 10, 2005.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I was in the market for a sweet sounding chorus and don't know to much about them. Just wanted one for my clean tone to give me that crystal clear chime like Eric Johnson has. These are the ones that I want to check out. If you know of anything else let me know

T.C Electronic chorus/flanger

Fulltone Cloraflange

2. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I use the Carl Martin XII and the Analogman Clone chorus.

The CM has a more mellow sound to me, which I like, but may not be what you're looking for. The settings on it are not extreme; just the basic chorus sounds, but it's a great sound. It has a built in cord that plugs directly into A/C, however the pedal is a lot taller than all my other pedals. The XII has 2 choruses in one pedal that you can switch back and forth between or run to separate amps. Here's a link to the Carl Martin site: http://www.carlmartin.com/

The Analogman has more of a brighter sound than the CM and it can be set to sound like a Leslie if you want. The model I have is just the single chorus, but A-man also makes a Bi-Chorus that has 2 choruses in it also. Here's a link to his clone pedals: http://www.analogman.com/clone.htm

3. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

If you want the EC sound, stick with the TC Electronics. I think that's what he is still using. I have an Analogman Clone Chorus, too, but mine has the depth toggle option. So, I have 3 settings, normal, thin and deep. Basically, the toggle switch moves the frequency spectrum of the chorus up or down. Analog Mike says that the thin setting is very similar to the TC Electronics. I noodle with it now and again, but for most of the time, I leave it in the normal setting. Overall it's a very versatile pedal and I'm happy with it.

John

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the analogman.

5. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

+2 on the Analogman -- hands down the best.

Next question.......

6. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

+ 1 on the Choralflange.

I had a Bi-chorus for awhile. A very nice, thick sounding unit, but you are stuck with the one sound. Don't get me wrong, you can tweak the Analogman pedal, but the character of the chorus remains the same. As far as the CF, it can get very close to the Analogman's sound, but it can also do a whole bunch of others. It also can do a nice flange, can be run as a true-bypass pedal (mono) or as a buffered pedal (stereo). It also has the ability to set the output, so you can boost or cut volume (or run it at unity gain) when it is engaged.

The DLS Chorus-Vib is also a very nice unit - more tweakable than the Analogman CC, less than the CF - and it costs less than either! It is a digital chorus - but sounds better than most analog units. Another excellent sounding chorus is the Boss CE-2 with Keeley mod.

I have had all of these and several others on my board, but I sold them all and kept the CF - it just sounds better to my ears. Make sure to get a newer one (early '04 or later) as these units have more headroom on the input.

The Gitpicker

7. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

BOSS DC-2 is killer in stereo
    Visual H2O is really nice.
    EBS Red Twister bumped an Analogman off my board

8. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

x 10 for the Choral Flange. I have been very impressed. The only Chorus that I've been as impressed with are the old "Cow Pie" CE-1 Chorus pedals which need to be modded and tend to need frequent repairs. I took my CE-1 out of my pedal board and have been very happy with the Choral Flange as it's replacment.

9. Fernando

Fernando Member

You can't go wrong with the Chorus~Vib. It's a freaking fantastic pedal.

10. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

If you are looking for EJ, you might want to consider the TC Electronics or, better yet, either of the two DLS chorus pedals. A chorus that leans more on the digital end of the spectrum would be more up front with brilliance and top end sheen. Thats what I like most about EJ's clean tone.

Most of what I see being recommended are analog chorus pedals. An analog chorus sound is warmer, flangier, and more watery sounding than EJ. The best analog chorus is the Retrosonic, but that is my opinion after having owned most of what has been recommended.

11. fernmeister

fernmeister Member

as a former tc owner, i'll put a vote in for the jacques meistersinger. ride the blend control down and you can get some very nice subtle tc like tones.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I've tried them ALL.

DLS is the best and the only one that's both stereo AND true bypass.

13. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

(other than the TC which is what he actually uses)

New - DLS

Used - Ibanez DCF10

14. muddy

muddy Member

YEA on the dls!!! been sayin' it for YONKS now!

ml

15. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

+1 ;)

16. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

And remember, he uses the TC in a dedicated clean rig so the fact that it messes up your bypass signal doesn't matter to him since it's always on in his rig...

17. erksin

erksin Member

Love my DLS - does the cleaner TC-type as well as the thicker CE-1 type tones. The Vibrato function is KILLER, IMO - very Magnatone...

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Need to chime in here, as this topic is very current for me as well.

Just a couple of days ago I wrote an email to AnalogMike (before seeing this thread) asking how I can overcome the low-end loss that occurs with his Clone Chorus. I really like the lush sound of the clone chorus, but it really cuts the low-end. He suggested that I consider the "Deep Option" switch to get more of a TC sound. Has anyone tried this?

I used to own a TC, which was wonderful for adding that beautiful shimmer to your clean tone, but man, it really changed your tone when turned off.

19. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

love that chorus ....no....hate that chorus ...no ....I wish it would sound like it`s supposed to ...been through the Choralflange ....too stiff for me .The Red Twister ....better but not it ...using the Arion for now but it`s inevitably
    headed for trade bait . Was going to go Analogman but you guys are getting me curious about the DLS ....What about the BYOC clone ?....anyone compare it to Analogman? If anyone wants to trade DLS or Analogman for a RED twister .....give a shout , thanks