Nick Greer Underdog 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrmojorisin, Dec 14, 2004.

1. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

Well, I walked into Juniors Music today not expecting to buy anything, let alone another amp. And especially not a Tweed style amp. I am a decidedly non-Fender guy...just never found one that felt alive to me like the Marshall style amps I covet.

Anyway, Junior tells me "you got to hear this one man...haven't heard an amp sound this good in a long while".

Nothing fancy by the looks of it. One G12H30 in a tweed pine combo cab. Pair of 6v6. 5Y3. Pair of 12AX7. Yawn. Like a Victoria. Nice amps but they don't float my boat too well...

Anyway, plugged it in. Turned up the volume and I noticed before I started playing that I am hearing movement on the strings and I am not moving my hands yet. Hmmm, seems pretty wired!Bang out a few chord and now the the hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up. Raw, snarling, junkyard dog, oh so righteous tweed tone. Deep south blues joint kinda tweed tone. 15 watts my ass! 15 WATTS MY ASS!

Bought it. Got it home and fired it up with my limba McNaught single cut with Lollar P90's. Filled the whole studio. Sounded huge...no way, its only a 1x12 right. Frigging huge. Where's the reverb coming from? Spacious 3D sound. Like I am playing in a friggin cavern...

I turn it off after a while and hum MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME....MERRRY CHRISTMAS TO ME.

This is a really good one, and I got SN 002!

Then Jr drops me a line and says Nick Greer just called him and told him that Billy Gibbons is eyeing SN003 after hearing it for the first time, at Round Robins in Houston.

(singing voice)

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME...MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME

Anyone else out there heard one of these monsters yet?

My tweed cherry has definitely been broken...

Mucho thanks to Junior at Juniors Music for steering me to this one. He's a great guy, with a great store, for those of you who haven't done business with him.

Carl

2. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

How much are those going for? I've seen the amp referenced on Nick's website but never seen on in person. Thought it was vaporware.

3. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

is the going rate, it seems.

Carl

4. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

I'd like to see the inside. Got any pics of the plumbing?

5. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

Sorry no pics of the plumbing yet...I'll try to take a few soon.

Carl

6. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in...that puppy is 15 watts!!! Billy Gibbons has not bought an amp yet...but all of his buds at Rockin Robin sure as hell are talkin bout our amp and have mentioned it to him! Glad you like the amp man, keep on keepin on and I'll keep on building. I'll be able to check back on this page hopefully in the next few days...down in Del Rio, TX right now hangin out with my bro that's graduating from pilot school with the USAF and don't have a comp down here except my bro's...Always keep in mind--I'm a 22 year old, deaf, long haired, redneck country boy with an obsession for loud and good tone...there's a reason our shirts look like Jack Daniel's labeles and have the words "redneck tone" on em!

Thanks again for the talk and what not!

Nick Greer

7. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

I haven't tried one of Nick's Underdog 15's (I live close to Rockin Robins so maybe I should drop by and check it out), but I do have one of his Stinger A amps and love it. It sounds great (very thick, in a good way) and very well made (his 1x12 cab's are very nice as well).

Hey Nick, great to have you down here in Tejas, even if you are clear on the other side of the state.

8. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Glad you mentioned the Stinger. That was actually the one I saw on his website not Underdog. My mistake.

9. Sherman

Sherman Member

10. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

The one in the middel in that link is mine.

My says SN 002, Mod 1 on the inner label. Nick says that the Mod 1 is why the amp is so junkyard dog. Just wanted to mention to folks out there to look for the Mod 1 on the label...

Nick, is Mod 1 the baseline now?

Carl

11. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

Mod 1 denotes that the amp is modded, dealers can order them either way, modded or unmodded. The mods give the extra push... The unmodified ones sound wonderful too, just not as loud and like a tweed deluxe...we are selling quite a few of the modified ones. Rockin Robin has a modified one that will be there probably mid to late January as well as a Stinger. I will probably swing back by and bug them on my way back to Athens soon. Thanks for all the talk guys, play big, play loud, or go home!

***Also...the pics on Junior's page of the insides are pics of an unmodded, stock, original style Underdog. That is SN001 chassis on the page. The mods look slightly different inside.***

Nick G

12. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Hey Nick,

Does "Mod 1" infer that there are other mods available? Mod 2, Mod 3...?
    If so, can you please describe them?

Thanks!!!

13. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

So is this amp a tweed deluxe clone or what?

14. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

Yep, pretty straight forward clone with mods made to it to keep the bass from "farting out" and to give you more clean headroom (most Deluxes have almost none) and more overall volume. The use of the G12H30 also gives louder volume. The amps are hand wired, point to point with cloth covered wire and all that jazz, custom wound output transformers and they rock! The mods make the amp sound more open and a little less flubby in some areas. Thanks for the interest in these little pups, they're mean amps...I just got back from Texas and must say that I am more than thrilled with the performance of my modded Underdog15.

Nick G

15. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

anybody want pics of inside, call nick. he's a good guy and ALL those amps kick ass. he's been after me to buy one and i may have to give in.:)

Chris

16. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

BTW I called Nick and asked about innerd pics (essentially, I asked, 'are you crazy??), and he said he doesnt send inside pics anymore FYI. Lot's of guys ripping off designs as it is on the net nowadays. Smart of him to stop that practice.

I looked inside my cam and it's an impeccable job though. As good as any I've seen ever.

Hey Saxophonist. Do you have a 4x12 greenback cab? I'd love to hear my Cam through one.

17. big mike

105#'s!! Oh good golly!!!

Too big!!! TOo big!!!!

18. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

My Underdog Mod-1 is coming in a couple of weeks- I cannot wait! Based my decision on the reviews from this forum, e-mails with Nick and help from Maken Music in Chicago. I am really itchin'...

19. big mike

You're going to love it!! Teddy and the guys at Maken are good guys too.

20. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

Yeah, they were awfully helpful and gracious in answering questions...