• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Nickel v Chrome

pennylink

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other as it relates to bridges, pickup covers and other hardware?

2. Do you ever mix the two on the same guitar, or go all nickel or all chrome?

They reflect light very differently, and very obviously; nickel looks more yellow while chrome reflects more blue, so mixing them wouldn't look good. The only 'disadvantage' to nickel plate is that it tarnishes quickly. Personally I quite like the look of it. Compare the brash looking chrome on a new Les Paul Standard to the much more subtle nickel on a Traditional.
Sonically neither are going to make the slightest difference with their micron-thin plating.

jo2012

Nickel ages faster than chrome. Which is why I prefer nickel for the hardware on my guitars.

vanguard

AFAIK, nickel is part of the chroming process, so there really isn't a huge difference. cosmetically, as stated, nickel shines "softly" while chrome is much more "brash."

p19978

Chrome typically has a long tenon, thus giving more sustain.

However, if you top-wrap the nickle, sustain should be comparable.

SPROING!

On a pickup cover it does make a difference. A pure nickel cover will shed off less highs than a chrome cover. One reason cheap buckers sound muddy is the chrome plated brass covers.

Jura

I prefer the soft and warmer shine of nickel, as well as the way it ages..
Hate the chrome, looks cheep to me..

johnmfer

I also prefer nickel, but I'll take chrome over gold or black hardware 10 times out of 10.

It's a small complaint, very small, and in no way affects what a fantastic instrument it is all around, but my 2005 Custom 22 came with a nickel bridge and nickel pickups, but chrome tuners. I didn't even notice for a long time but one day I did and ever since, it's been one of those things I just don't get. There's got to be a reason.

Trending Topics