Nik Huber Guitars going strong!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by koamarlin, May 18, 2006.

1. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

For all of you , who had the opportunity to hear or play a Huber Dolphin or Orca guitar in the past and for everybody who is interested to do so in the future:
    Musicians Hotline ( http://www.musicianshotline.com/ )does a very interesting profile on Nik and his company in it´s latest edition!

Highly recommended!!:AOK

2. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I tried a Dolphin II.
    Great guitar but I couldn't justify the price tag.

3. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Nice Article!

However, it should be noted that at the bottom of the article, the website listed is NOT NIK'S SITE!

The proper address is www.nikhuber-guitars.com (you have to have the hyphen in there.)

4. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Nice write up, congrats Nik!

5. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Honestly I think, we´re talking the range of PRS Private Stock here. In this respect it´s a bargain!!

6. Jim S

It's all relative. As you say it, no doubt.

However, I also could not justify the price of PRS PS to myself. I'm not starting a flame war saying they are overprice; I'm just saying I can be happy with a guitar (s) costing several thousand dollars less. The Huber was amazing but it had appointments that weren't important to me: quilt back, flamed pup rings, etc.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

I play Hamer guitars. I love them they are the best production guitars ever made IMHO. I played the Hubers at NAMM and was simply blown away by them. I played a lot of high dollar instruments that day. The only one that made me really think was the Hubers. The feel, tone and playability are way beyond anything I have played. This is the first guitar with a really high price tag that I thought could Justify it.

8. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Objection granted as far as your personal likings are concerned!
    Maybe you should try Nik´s new straightforward "Junior". The price tag should be considerably lower.. And I bet the guitar is really going to convince you!
    BTW:As far as I know a dolphin can be made as a standard version with dot inlays, plastic pup-rings and standard , non quilted- or flamed-top and save you a lot of bucks!

Fact is: I really do like many different styles of guitars (actually deep in my heart I consider myself a Strat-man )

but there´s nothing on the market that could replace my Hubers. For ME, that is!

Also see: www.nikhuber-guitars.com

[​IMG]

9. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

I had just the opposite reaction. Bought an Orca and flipped it. Couldn't get on with the feel of the neck. Reminded me of a BC Rich, too wide and flat feeling for me. It was VERY well made and had pretty much the same components as everyone else so it really came down to a subjective feel. Nice, but it just wasn't for me. Luckily I didn't lose much on the sale. Still, worth a look if you're in the hunt for a custom guitar.

Gearguy

10. matte

matte Senior Member

Biography:
    Pro Player, touring and recording
    Interests:
    Guitars and Guns
    Professional Musician

Where can I find your discography?

11. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Come on Matte, don't stoop to that. I have more respect for you. I think that the Huber is a fine guitar, I plainly stated that it just didn't fit my hands. I think that's a valid comment. If you want to play the "I'm a pro player, so my opinion counts more" card you're fooling yourself. You are a great player with good credentials, but I'll bet a year's royalties that there are guys with deeper resumes who like things that you don't.

My discography... serves no purpose here.

Gearguy

12. matte

matte Senior Member

You got it all wrong. I'm simply interested in what other GP cats are doing. Nothing negative/judgemental/etc. When I saw that you were tri coastal I thought, "Damn"! My apologies for any unintentional subtext.

13. Jim S

I thought the Huber Dolpin II played great but neck profile and love are very individualistic. I am plus/minus on the body shape. Humbucking tones were great; single coils tones were nice.

I felt that if I kept it, the guilt of spending over $5000 would outweigh the joy of having the instrument...at least that was my mind set at the time.

14. BluWonton

BluWonton Member

Yup,Nik's name is getting around.

I've been playing Hubers since I got my Redwood at NAMM '04.
    Now I've got 6 with 4 on order.

For me they are the perfect guitar.

15. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

One thing to remember, folks. Nik has NO CNC. All carvings are done with a CHISEL. The man is a craftsman the likes of which are rarely seen these days.

[​IMG]

You can spec any neck profile, different scale lengths, woods, etc.

Condemning any company after playing one guitar is like hating all redheads because your redheaded neighbor wouldn't date you.

Nik is one of the few real guitar builders out there, he's not running wood through fancy machines, gluing the parts together and doing a little sanding before paint.

Fantastic stuff, Huber guitars.

16. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Strange .... the top looks like it has burn marks from a router ?

17. gitman

gitman Member

".....Nik is one of the few real guitar builders out there, he's not running wood through fancy machines, gluing the parts together and doing a little sanding before paint. "

this statement is not very fair and i think it's also unjustified. you make many luthiers who have a very organized and mechanisized operation look like mere button-pushers. you think that only a chisel makes a good instrument ?
    think again, please. then listen to an Olson or Ryan steelstring, fondle a Baker or B3 and ask the proud owners why they spent between 7 and 17 grand for a guitar that's been carved by a machine.

18. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

doesn't using cnc help the builder become more precise with what he is doing? i don't see why "all hand made" is a real plus over guitars that are made by hand and machine.

19. Jim S

+ 1

20. WayneM

WayneM Member

My "hand-carved" toothpick works alot better than the ones that I buy at the supermarket! :p