Nik Huber Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by hawk269, Jan 28, 2006.

1. hawk269

hawk269 Supporting Member

I've seen the pictures and now I've got to ask. What do these guitars sound and play like. I'm particularly interested in the dolphin model. Is there anyone out there who can compare this to a PRS? I'd just like a frame of reference since there's no chance to play one before buying.

Thanks
    Jesse

2. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Dude, you are in Las Vegas?

PM Sent.

Just get back to me, and you can try some out for yourself.

3. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

The regular model Dolphin sounds HUGE.
    And I mean it. Despite the 25.5" scale you get BIG woody, chunky tones, and a ton of sustain. That would be THE sound of the hardtail Dolphin.
    The tone will open up in the high register quite a bit if you go for the trem version.
    The Häussel pickups are very sensitive - which means you can fine tune the guitar's "eq" just by tilting the pickups for more or less bass.
    Moreover the pickups still *play* when you roll the volume all the way down to "1". Which means you can hit the club with a one channel amp and have all your tones by just selecting the various pickup combinations and volume levels.
    The sonic versatility is also enormous: I've personally witnessed a trem dolphin being played by 3 pro's on a Koch Twintone in a store in Italy.
    The first one was playing hard rock licks, the next guy was more into pop-modern stuff, and the third guy was doing trad-jazz... all on the same amp, all on the same guitar...!
    The bridge pup can let you do the hard rock stuff, the neck position will yield some very very liquid tones - great for jazz, blues, fonk ;) and in the mid position you can get lots of telly like tones, especially when you split the pickups.
    Of course you may opt for a korina body / neck (no upcharge) if you want more mid - hi frequency content, or an ebony fretboard if you need even more attack.... most options can be done, some at no addt'l cost.
    Some stuff is indeed already available in the US - check out w/ the current dealers: Synergy Guitars, BCR Music & Sound, Mark's Guitars, Willcutt Guitars, Destroy All Guitars.

I'm pretty sure some heavyweight user will chime in with his impressions, just give him the time to turn on his 'puter :)

Ciao from Europe!

JJ

4. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I have tried a Dolphin, a regular Orca and a custom made Orca.
    Nick's guitars are top notch in every aspect. I own a PRS myself and would say that that Nick's instruments are at least equal to any PRS I have tried. And with Nick you can have it your way.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

Nik is a GOD.

He makes fantastic guitars that are beyond jewel quality, but are still amazing instruments. Anyone can make a gorgeous guitar, but to make a gorgeous guitar that resonates like a church bell and has a ton of different tones on tap is not easy.

Here is a Dolphin II that I just received from Nik for the store at the NAMM show...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hollowed mahogany with a hand carved maple top. 7 lbs.

For a personal instrument, I asked for a very plain guitar that would show the tonal quality and still feel terrific without the "bling". He refused to paint this flat black( "I vil NOT mahke a flaht blahck geetahr!"), but he did shoot it in piano black over hollow Korina, weighing in at 5.4 lbs!!!

[​IMG]

This guitar promptly moved to the front of ALL of my guitars, and I have some SCARY guitars. The first gig that I brought it to, I never even grabbed my 59 TV Junior, any of my Hamers or my Burst replica. They sat in the rack, ignored. I could not put it down!

Hubers are beyond description, but I'll go hoarse trying to tell you about them.

6. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

I love those nekkid fretboards BTW :D
    Nik has a stash of 25? 30? year old rosewood pieces which he'll turn into full RW necks (!).
    That rosewood was initially meant for classical instruments - so you can just imagine what it must sound like.
    ...Dangerously good....

JJ

7. matte

matte Senior Member

8. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

That guitar is AWESOME. Cliff's a good guy as well.

9. hawk269

I'd like to thank all of you for your responses and especially to Vegas Greg. He was kind enough to let my girlfriend and me come over and try out his two beautiful guitars. I agree with all of the comments about these guitars. Definitely high class all the way.

10. Nik Huber

Nik Huber Member

I'm really not that often on the computer but I think now it is about time that I have say: THANK YOU SO MUCH for the kind word and posting pictures. You guys help a lot!!!!

11. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

Shut up and get back to work, Nik!!!!!!

12. hawk269

After the great comments and our experience on Greg's Huber's, we decided to pull the trigger. We went with Willcutt's and it should be here tomorow. Can't wait to get it. Of course, photos will bbe taken for all to see.

13. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Awwww..... what are you bringing away?
    [insert envy face here]

Damn...some people have all the luck of this world... :D

JJ

JJ

14. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

:AOK :AOK :AOK Congrats!

15. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

You need to bring it straight to my house....:D

Congrats to you and Tara. It's an awesome piece.

16. telewiz

telewiz Member

17. hawk269

We haven't gotten any pictures taken yet, but here is a link to a few from Willcutt's site http://www.willcuttguitars.com/details.asp?stock_id=4429
    The guitar is by far the best guitar either one of us have ever played or heard. It means a lot to my girlfriend since she loves dolphins and it is, essentially, her dream guitar. Pics in the next couple days.

18. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

OH MY GOD!!!

That is the one you took away...! :eek:

I remember that at the last Musikmesse the Flying Dolphin model was the only one that the onlookers where shy to touch, despite the fact that it was the one closest to the public.
    This was the power of it's sheer beauty.

Such an awesome piece.... Good for you...

JJ

19. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Ditto from me! This guitar looks awesome. I heve been cruising the Will Cutt and Synergy site for the last couple of weeks checking out the Hubers and other great guitars there. Called last week to get pricing on the Dolphins and the Orcas on his site. Pricing was reasonable for the quality and good selection at Will Cutt.

Congratulations on a piece you can keep forever not only as a great player but as a work of art!