• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Nik Huber Krautster II - but on a hobby budget

Darth Jeb

I really like the look and the idea of the Krautster II. I had a double-agent years ago, but the body size was too small for me. I am not a pro musician, I like to play, but the investment into a guitar for a few grand is not feasible.

I know this is a rabbit hole question/idea, but is there a guitar body style like the Krautster out there that is more affordable that I could add my own P90 in the neck and a Humbucker in the bridge? I like the simplicity of toggle, volume, and tone. I have never been a master of the Gibson 4 knob system.

In random Reverb moments I have looked at a Player Series Telecaster (with two humbuckers), Yamaha Revstar, and the Santana Custom PRS SE (yellow) - caveat never played any of these.

Thanks to all!

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I really like the look and the idea of the Krautster II. I had a double-agent years ago, but the body size was too small for me. I am not a pro musician, I like to play, but the investment into a guitar for a few grand is not feasible.

I know this is a rabbit hole question/idea, but is there a guitar body style like the Krautster out there that is more affordable that I could add my own P90 in the neck and a Humbucker in the bridge? I like the simplicity of toggle, volume, and tone. I have never been a master of the Gibson 4 knob system.

In random Reverb moments I have looked at a Player Series Telecaster (with two humbuckers), Yamaha Revstar, and the Santana Custom PRS SE (yellow) - caveat never played any of these.

Thanks to all!
The krautster body style is a single cut Les paul special, by Gibson. If you get a guitar that is HH you can easily get a P90 that fits into a Humbucker route. So the last question is, do you prefer slim or chunky necks?

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
It seems like a Les Paul special of some denomination would work, along with a humbucker-sized P-90. You’re still stuck with a 4 knob control, though.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Here’s a budget option:

A little more:

There are also pickups that sound like a humbucker but are p90 size. So the best way to get what you want is to get either a 2xP90 or a 2xHB guitar and swap 1 pickup.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Good point. Seems like the easiest route to take.
Although I’d never ever recommend doing this… Having 2 wildly different pickups in the same guitar really calls for 2v 2t to get the most from each. I’d suggest OP learn to use the 4-knob configuration wired 50s style to keep the independent voices and have max flexibility in the middle position.

BADHAK

Krautster is a fancy LP Special. Just get a budget Gibson and mod to your hearts content (though I'm not sure why the genius Gibson 2v/2t is difficult to master)

My 06 Faded LP Special with Pearly Gates is the best guitar I've ever played and it's very affordable.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Krautster is a fancy LP Special. Just get a budget Gibson and mod to your hearts content (though I'm not sure why the genius Gibson 2v/2t is difficult to master)

My 06 Faded LP Special with Pearly Gates is the best guitar I've ever played and it's very affordable.
I love PGs. Bright A5 humbuckers are my thing lately. My next build is going to be a HH and have a BKP Mississippi Queen neck and Riff Raff bridge.

Darth Jeb

The krautster body style is a single cut Les paul special, by Gibson. If you get a guitar that is HH you can easily get a P90 that fits into a Humbucker route. So the last question is, do you prefer slim or chunky necks?
I like my necks chunky!

Darth Jeb

I am a simple man. I honestly feel more connected to the simplicity of the Fender knob situation. I have always gravitated towards Strats and Tele's. Maybe it's conditioning?

Darth Jeb

Although I’d never ever recommend doing this… Having 2 wildly different pickups in the same guitar really calls for 2v 2t to get the most from each. I’d suggest OP learn to use the 4-knob configuration wired 50s style to keep the independent voices and have max flexibility in the middle position.
Ok.

Darth Jeb

Here’s a budget option:

A little more:

There are also pickups that sound like a humbucker but are p90 size. So the best way to get what you want is to get either a 2xP90 or a 2xHB guitar and swap 1 pickup.
I really like the sound of the Saturday Night Special Humbucker.

fossilfuel

dismember
A Gibson BFG?

Not the same shape, but come in that pickup configuration are a G&L Fallout (Tribute more budget friendly),
or a Yamaha Pacifica.

I put a set of TV Jones Magnatrons into a LP Special and they sound great, you could always keep the neck P90.

BADHAK

I am a simple man. I honestly feel more connected to the simplicity of the Fender knob situation. I have always gravitated towards Strats and Tele's. Maybe it's conditioning?
I gravitate towards Gibsons but it hasn't stopped me from owning a Tele(and other Fenders previously) and investing time in learning how the controls work. I understand that people can prefer things like scale length or humbuckers vs singles, but rejecting a guitar(that by every other metric is ideal)because it has a couple of extra controls seems counterproductive IMO.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
rejecting a guitar(that by every other metric is ideal)because it has a couple of extra controls seems counterproductive IMO.
People like what they like. And what they’re “used to.” I can’t fault anyone for that, although I’m pretty sure that a 2v 2t 50s setup is the greatest. I know how to work it regardless of the pickup configuration, and don’t have to think about it on stage.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I've always questioned why Warmoth does not offer a non-carved, flat-top LP type body.

I'd definitely look at Reverend. They have quite a few HB/P90 equipped guitars.

Also, if a carved top is not out of the question, there's always the option of going with Epiphone and putting a P90 sized thing in the neck. You could remove a set of volume and tones and plug the holes with wooden hole plugs. If you get a burst/transparent top, you could even use a furniture repair pen (usually, $10ish on Amazon) to colorize the wooden plugs to match. Of course, you can also get plastic hole plugs in chrome, black and white (white might look cool with a guitar that has a solid color top with white binding).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom