• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Nik Huber Krautster II - but on a hobby budget

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I like my necks chunky!
Ok, so I’d go with either a Gibson USA LP Special if you can do $12-1400 or an epiphone around 400(!). You can get a tv Jones powertron+ in a P90 size to replace your bridge P90, and you’d end up with a *stellar* instrument that would sound every bit as good as any other, krautster or Gibson custom included.

GiorgioV

People like what they like. And what they’re “used to.” I can’t fault anyone for that, although I’m pretty sure that a 2v 2t 50s setup is the greatest.
Not necessarily. I grew up on a Les Paul Studio with the traditional control layont but I still think that one volume for both pickups is the best.

On paper, separate volumes seems like the best thing but in reality during a gig a single master volume makes more sense to me.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Not necessarily. I grew up on a Les Paul Studio with the traditional control layont but I still think that one volume for both pickups is the best.

On paper, separate volumes seems like the best thing but in reality during a gig a single master volume makes more sense to me.
A LP studio is wired differently from what I’m talking about. 1v 1t is the basic layout. 2v 2t opens up many more possibilities.

Strummerfan

I am a simple man. I honestly feel more connected to the simplicity of the Fender knob situation. I have always gravitated towards Strats and Tele's. Maybe it's conditioning?
If that's your bag, get a MIM tele deluxe, the 2 bucker version, pop out one of the humbuckers, replace it with a P90 sized for a humbucker route. Bob's your uncle.

GiorgioV

A LP studio is wired differently from what I’m talking about. 1v 1t is the basic layout. 2v 2t opens up many more possibilities.
It's not. Ever since its introduction in the mid 80s the vast majority of the "les paul studio" variant have had two volumes and two tones. I've owned a 95 for 20 years and I know what controls it had. I also owned a second les paul for the past 13 years or so and so I am perfectly familiar with the two volumes-two tones setup. Not to forget, the 330 in my avatar also has that setup. I still mantain that FOR ME a master volume to control both pickups makes way more sense in a live environment and not once at a gig have I ever wished that my tele had separate volumes despite having played Gibsons - 2v 2t guitars for the vast majority of my life.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
It's not. Ever since its introduction in the mid 80s the vast majority of the "les paul studio" variant have had two volumes and two tones. I've owned a 95 for 20 years and I know what controls it had. I also owned a second les paul for the past 13 years or so and so I am perfectly familiar with the two volumes-two tones setup. Not to forget, the 330 in my avatar also has that setup. I still mantain that FOR ME a master volume to control both pickups makes way more sense in a live environment and not once at a gig have I ever wished that my tele had separate volumes despite having played Gibsons - 2v 2t guitars for the vast majority of my life.
Was it wired 50s, 60s, independent volume controls..? Did you measure the pots individually? This is what I’m talking about. Lots of variation within 2v 2t. No offense intended.

GiorgioV

Was it wired 50s, 60s, independent volume controls..? Did you measure the pots individually? This is what I’m talking about. Lots of variation within 2v 2t. No offense intended.
It had 50s wiring with RS 500k pots for most of its life. No independent volume controls, it sucks, I've tried.

TooMuchFiber

Silver Supporting Member
+1 for Reverend. They have a bunch of models with P90s + HBs. Their body style might not look exactly like a Krauster, but if that's what you're after then just get a Tele with two HBs and swap the neck HB for something like a Duncan Phat Cat (HB sized P90).

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
It had 50s wiring with RS 500k pots for most of its life. No independent volume controls, it sucks, I've tried.
I usually have my bridge tone rolled off around 6-7, neck on 10, neck vol cleaned up around 7 and bridge on 9ish. Switch between rhythm and lead sounds like that live. Can’t do it with master vol/tone set up.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I usually have my bridge tone rolled off around 6-7, neck on 10, neck vol cleaned up around 7 and bridge on 9ish. Switch between rhythm and lead sounds like that live. Can’t do it with master vol/tone set up.
Another great sound is middle position with clean bridge vol around 7 and neck on 10

GiorgioV

On paper it's great, but in reality when I have to "clean up", most of the time I just do it on the bridge pickup anyway and roll it back up for leads.

Otherwise it's often hard for a neck humbucker pickup to keep its presence when rolled back, no matter how good the wiring is, especially if the mix is dense (two guitars for instance) and the band plays rock.

Another thing that I personally noticed, as someone who uses single channel heads and never plugs into a clean amp, is that with just the master volume on my guitar I always know at what "gain level" I am no matter which pickup I select. OTOH, with separate volumes, I might be on the bridge and want to switch to the neck for the solo, only to find out that it's rolled back some.

Lastly, with separate volumes, you never know where you land when you select the middle position: is everything full on? is it mostly bridge? mostly neck?

Bottom line is that, with one volume, it's much simpler to know where you are at all times without having to check the knobs and the pointers and get distracted.

I never loved the normal sound of the middle position on a two humbuckers guitar anyway. That's why my historic Les Paul is wired Peter Green style. In that scenario, it absolutely makes sense to have separate volumes and play around with them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom