• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Nils Frahm - "Says" - what keyboard to get these sounds?

Andrew.

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a guitar player who has for the past few years been interested in experimenting with keyboard/piano due in large part to musicians like Nils Frahm...

Question for keyboard experts - what semi-affordable synth/keyboard do I buy to sound like this?

Looking at live videos where he's performed this, he uses a Juno 60 (with an arpeggiator), and runs that into a Roland Space Echo. While probably possible with that new Roland Boutique Juno "reissue" and a Space Echo pedal, you couldn't get that crazy modulation that happens when he's messing with the tape...

Andrew.

Silver Supporting Member
Looking at live videos where he's performed this, he uses a Juno 60 (with an arpeggiator), and runs that into a Roland Space Echo. While probably possible with that new Roland Boutique Juno "reissue" and a Space Echo pedal, you couldn't get that crazy modulation that happens when he's messing with the tape...

Looks like the new Roland Boutique JU-06 has the tones, but lacks the arpegiator of the JUNO-60.

Is it as simple as just finding a keypad/midi controller that has an arpegiator and hooking into the JU-06?

That could work too. Another alternative for a cheap Roland-ish sound, maybe a Gaia? I love Frahm's work too, and I'm hoping the new Behringer synth will get in the ballpark.

jzero

This does not sound tough. It's a single oscillator sawtooth with a short decay. There maybe be a second oscillator with a bit of square wave in there too. Any synth can accomplish the main sound. What makes it cool is the delay line applied to the arpeggio. There's also a piano sound with a large reverb. If you don't want to play the arp, that makes it harder. You would need a synth that has an arpeggiator that works the way you want. I don't know what is best for these.

Andrew.

Silver Supporting Member
Just reviving this only to post a sample I recorded with my Deepmind 6 - I think I got close, although his version seems to be a bit more pingy - more clear and the delay is a bit more apparent. Definitely needs more work.

Here's what I came up with on the Deepmind 6:

Sounds REALLY good... I ended up buying the DeepMind too and that was the first patch I tried to create. I think you got closer than I did though.

Andrew.

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds REALLY good... I ended up buying the DeepMind too and that was the first patch I tried to create. I think you got closer than I did though.
Thanks!

I messed around with the EQ and adjusted the delay a bit - here's my 2nd attempt at it:

Jelthes

Hey Andrew,

I am currently looking for a synth receipe for "Says". But since im such a newbie to synth i cant really make it happen with my MicroKorg. Do you have any advice? Maybe the basic settings?

Thanks alot.

Andrew.

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Andrew,

I am currently looking for a synth receipe for "Says". But since im such a newbie to synth i cant really make it happen with my MicroKorg. Do you have any advice? Maybe the basic settings?

Thanks alot.
Little bit of reverb - something with a nice smooth decay.
Delay set to about 385ms, with the mix about 50% up, and a fair number of repeats/feedback
Arpeggiator set to 89bpm with 2 octaves up ^

A big part of it is the delay and getting the repeats to sort of get that pinging sound where it bounces back and forth off the last note of the 2 octave up repeating arpeggio - you just need to mess with the delay repeats and how much of it you're putting into the signal chain.

Trending Topics