Ninety times the pleasure

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JingleJungle, Mar 12, 2006.

1. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

[​IMG]

I'm just realizing that my affair with P90s is a long lasting thing and bound to grow some more.

My current P90 lineup (see above - sorry for the fonky link) is as follows:

-Nik Huber Junior Dolphin w/ Häussel P90plus*
    -'93 Hamer Special (w/Lollars - sorry Duncanfans, the original soaps sucked)
    -90s Bacchus Junior (original japwound p.up)
    -Reverend Slingshot Custom
    -Molinelli "Molicaster" superstrat (3x Häussel "BigMag" P90/strat hybrids)

To which I'll be adding very shortly one of Nik Huber's earlier (1996) P90 prototype Dolphins, and later on this summer a Koll Superior w/ electroflux bridge and a Häussel P90 in the neck.

Don't ask me how I could have overlooked soapbars for all these years - stupid stupid me.
    I just love the smack and the spank they provide, the raw humbucker like output with the singlecoil response - it just seems like the perfect tone marriage.

JJ

*P90plus is a P90 with an added overwind tap that can be switched for additional output and a different bass response

2. stratofied

stratofied Member

Some very cool guitars. A Mahogany body/ P90 equipped guitar is on my short list.

3. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Oh, yeah ... I hear ya.

I've got some overlap with you -- a '93 Hamer Special & Reverend Slingshot, but also an Aerodyne Tele (Lollar neck, Fralin SP42 bridge) and a late '40's ES125. I've also got a set of Lollars on the way -- I was intending on putting them in my Slingshot, but I've been liking the stock pups more lately, and I played my Hamer for the first time in a while. No wonder I've had such a love-hate relationship with that guitar -- those SD's really do suck. So the Lollars may got into the Hamer, and the SS will stay stock -- for now.

And that Koll is gonna be a killer!

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I've been hard gassing for a P90/mahogany guitar too. Perhaps a Jr. or a LP Custom Reissue....

5. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

This is Nik's take on the theme...

[​IMG]

actually...what am I doing *here* ??
    I should be playing her!!

'Later... :D

6. Ponec

Ponec Member

I have to agree with you on the wonders of the P90. Since I picked up my SG Classic I've had a hard time setting it down. I started with a SG Supreme with P90s but it is a little "spankier" due, I think, to the ebony board and maple top. Then I picked up Classic. Solid mahogany body and rosewood board. The tones range from a warm smooth to a dirty crunch just by turning a couple of knobs and flicking a switch.

Why did these disappear from the scene for so long??? Was everyone blinded by the advent of the humbucker or was it too much drugs in the '60s? ;)

All of you who do not have one, NEED one! :)

[​IMG]

-Ron

7. ES350

ES350 Member

IIRC, everybody took drugs and wanted to sound like Tom Scholz for about 20 years...

My first electric had P90's (SG Special) and the herd has grown since then...last count is nine P90 Gibsons and a few Guilds ranging from 1948 to 2001. They all get played.

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I think Gibson should come back with the SG Special with P90's. What a nice guitar! Played one a while back at a store. Really liked the feel, the sound and the looks!

9. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I've got an original '67 SG Special "player". No breaks but pretty beat on. I love it. I used it a lot this past Saturday night. I originally intended to just have it as back-up, but it was really sounding and feeling good. It was overly buzzy when I first got it, but I got some new covers, copper foil lined the insides, and grounded the foil and that cut the buzz down pretty significantly. Now it's comparable to a quiet Strat. I've also had it refretted (needed it badly) and added a PRS-type lightweight aluminum stop-bar/tail-piece.

I'm gassing for a late-model (they said it was a 2005 at the shop, but I'm not sure) LP Special, TV yellow double cut right now!!! It's over-priced, but I might see if they'll take something in trade. This isn't a faded, it's got neck binding. It's also not a custom shop, it's a tune-o-matic with a stop tail. Anyone know the history of the bound neck Special reissues? This has the classic dot inlays, too. Not the squares that the were putting in 'round the turn of the century.

Scott

10. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Amen brother! P90s are the greatest. I started on a 61 SG Special with P90s, and sold it after a divorce in 98. When I finally decided to replace it in my harem, I got a LP Special faded Doublecut - and it's awesome:

[​IMG]