Nirvana did not single-handedly kill glam metal.

PVH5150

92.3 K Rock switched about a year ago to Lady gaga, Kei$ha and overproduced studio wizard no talent auto tune hacks. In actuality i like *some* of that music (i really do) but the problem is we have 4-5 stations playing the same format

I take it Z100 is still there as well.

Are there any decent rock stations in NYC?

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
I take it Z100 is still there as well.

Are there any decent rock stations in NYC?

Sadly no. There was 101.9 which was a *decent* station (playing some alternative and 90s rock) but thats now a chick news station! no joke

Theres 104.3 which plays the SAME 60-75 dinasour rock songs over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over. Dont worry songs that were plyed out in 1974, 1980, 1984, 1989, 1993 are still being overplayed 2day :mad:

Pathetic that a region with some 15 million or so people DOES NOT have one decent rock station playing any current rock or alternative music at all. I just chuckle when people say you have 2 look for the music, modern rock music is not doing to well these days ladies and gents sorry to break it to ya

PVH5150

Sadly no. There was 101.9 which was a *decent* station (playing some alternative and 90s rock) but thats now a chick news station! no joke

Theres 104.3 which plays the SAME 60-75 dinasour rock songs over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over. Dont worry songs that were plyed out in 1974, 1980, 1984, 1989, 1993 are still being overplayed 2day :mad:

Pathetic that a region with some 15 million or so people DOES NOT have one decent rock station playing any current rock or alternative music at all. I just chuckle when people say you have 2 look for the music, modern rock music is not doing to well these days ladies and gents sorry to break it to ya

100.7 WZLX is exactly that here in Boston. Same old classic rock, 24/7.

The only decent station within earshot is Rock 101, 101.1 WGIR, based out of Manchester, New Hampshire. They do a good mix of everything. One minute it'll be Motorhead, then Alice In Chains, then Dire Straits, then Pink Floyd. They pretty much encompass everything from classic to current. And when they play an artist such as VH, it's not the same 5 songs in constant rotation. Just last week I was listening to them online & they played Hear About It Later off of Fair Warning.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
That's a shame because to me the 80's was the most explosive decade that rock 'n' roll has offered since the 60's.

Tons of great bands, and it's not their fault (for the most part) you never heard of many/most of them. I wish the club scene today could hold a candle to the 80's. I still enjoy a ton of bands out there now, but back then I was constantly going to shows & routinely having my mind blown 2- 3 nights a week.

KRock began sucking years ago. It's a shame that NYC, one of the largest markets in the world, has had total **** rock radio for over 20 years now.

In my view, the good stuff of the 80's was 90's music, just five years too early.

Grunge had the good sense to die off before it became a hideous, bloated monster like glam. Unfortunately there are plenty of groups trying to pretend they aren't washed up old men still singing about banging 18 year olds. That's just sad and pathetic.

and this genre set the stage for even more pathetic rock genres to come.

PAF

Guns N Roses killed the hair metal era (even though myself like that genre).
axl-rose.jpg

rip-taylor.jpg

Valtyr

I thought overexposure killed hair metal. There was great stuff out there but the cheese content was steadily increasing. This seems to be what kills off most styles, once alternative was seen as the new movement it was all over the radio and eventually met the same fate. Radio/media beats a particular style to the point where the public is eager for something else.

6stringgrind

The demise of glam metal was carefully orchestrated by ugly dudes, both in the media and the general public. I mean, have you seen what the average music critic looks like? They weren't invited to the party, so they had it shut down.

;)

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
The demise of glam metal was carefully orchestrated by ugly dudes, both in the media and the general public. I mean, have you seen what the average music critic looks like? They weren't invited to the party, so they had it shut down.

;)

Right, because music reviewers so effectively controlled success and record sales in the early 90s.

This sounds like that same stupid crap David Lee Roth has been spouting since the late 70s about how the average music critic liked Elvis Costello more than Van Halen because that critic looked more like Elvis than Diamond Dave.

Also, in terms of appearance, have you seen what most of those glam metal dudes looked like? And you think music reviewers are ugly.

6stringgrind

Right, because music reviewers so effectively controlled success and record sales in the early 90s.

This sounds like that same stupid crap David Lee Roth has been spouting since the late 70s about how the average music critic liked Elvis Costello more than Van Halen because that critic looked more like Elvis than Diamond Dave.

Also, in terms of appearance, have you seen what most of those glam metal dudes looked like? And you think music reviewers are ugly.

Maybe you missed the wink. It was a joke, dude.

6stringgrind

No, I saw the wink. In retrospect I should have included a wink of my own.

I think my problem was getting too detailed with it. I just thought the idea of all the ugly dudes plotting to overthrow hair metal was funny. At least in my head it was!

mesa/boogieman

I've been essentially saying this for years. Glam metal had become too formulaic and homogenized. Metallica's rise attracted the metal heads away and songs like Faith No More's Epic and Alice in Chains' Man in the Box paved the way for grunge.

Glam Metal was already dead. Nirvana just lit the corpse on fire.

I vividly remember these times. I remember getting tired of 80's rock by the time groups like Trixter, Slaughter, Winger and Nelson were on the top of the charts. AC/DC had the only decent rock album that year with The Razor's Edge. Then I started to hear Faith No More and Alice in Chains on the radio and I was like "whoah, this is good music." Lots of people don't remember this but AIC's Facelift was the 1st album from the "grunge" bands that went mainstream. Man in the Box was so refreshing after all that other crap that came out.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rage Against The Machine, Tool or the mighty mighty Pantera. They all had, and still have a huge effect on music, and they also all test one's playing ability.
Well...since someone dredged up this old thread...
I always looked at RATM, Tool etc as POST-grunge bands that took music in a GOOD direction...as opposed to nickleback, creed, candlebox, bush who tried to keep the grunge thing going (i like all these bands except nickleback)...

tool and ratm did in the 90's what gnr did in the late 80's...they took a detour from the popular and carved out their own creative niche...:)

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
It's amazing anyone cares about this, let alone spends time discussing it.
It's also amazing that people still think it was one or two bands that did it.
They didn't.

You know what *really* killed hair/glam/80's metal?

The Record Companies and MTV.

Like Gus Grissom says in "The Right Stuff",
"No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

I also feel grunge killed itself moreso than glam
Kurt Kobain
Layne Staley
Shannon Hoon
Kristen Pfaff
Andrew Wood
etc

as much as glam/hairbands bored me with their format...so did the grunge smack head/heroin od cliche...

Am I alone in thinking that Guns 'N Roses wasn't particularly far from hair metal?

Nope. It was, to me, more LA pop rock. Just a little dirtier than the garden variety.

Guns+N+Roses+2486308463_d6b25f9f28.jpg

U2's The Joshua Tree was also released in 1987, as was The Cult's Electric (if one needed an example of down and dirty rock and roll).

Last edited:

RocksOff

I also feel grunge killed itself moreso than glam
Kurt Kobain
Layne Staley
Shannon Hoon
Kristen Pfaff
Andrew Wood
etc

as much as glam/hairbands bored me with their format...so did the grunge smack head/heroin od cliche...

If you think that Shannon Hoon or Andy Wood were grunge you should take another listen...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom