Nirvana "Nevermind" - Great Album!

JohnnyGtar

GREAT album. I can't stand most grunge and alternative, but Nevermind knocked it outta the freakin' PARK!

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Was reminded after seeing the "classic albums" Nirvana on Netflix, why this album turned the music industry upside down...

I re-listened to it last night and loved it, Primal, angst ridden in a real way, Live they were energetic, brash and unstable.... Fender Duosonics, Jaguars, loud amps set to stun!

Kurt Cobain had a real gift for writing songs too. He may have many detractors, but he unknowingly and singlehandedly changed the musical landscape of his time. Great Album!

I agree but the hard core fans considered the album a prettied up, commercialized and sterilized sellout.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I agree but the hard core fans considered the album a prettied up, commercialized and sterilized sellout.

No doubt, and hard core fans represented an infinitesimal fraction compared to the millions that gobbled it up.

And this seems to have worked on the ambivalence Cobain had towards success, wherein he really wanted it and really pushed the band to that major label world and the commercial recording results and big sound, but also seems to have been genuinely horrified when the jock and preppy types that he perceived as having given him nothing but grief bought the album and started filling the audiences at the live shows.

Given his personality and background, the idea that he was or could be perceived as a sell out seems to have really affected him.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I love that album. Went on an extended listening binge with it last year, every day in my car. Breed kills me every time! :beer

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
My friends and I were big Nirvana, Mudhoney, and Soundgarden fans pre-1991. We wore out Bleach on the cassette player. We rushed to Tower Records the first day Nevermind came out, put it in the tape player in the car, and thought holy sh$t -- this is great!

sixty2strat

Almost every song on it had a solo, from what I remember. Melodic solos (mostly embellishing on the vocal melody) in a more old school vein than the "look what I can do!" hair-band solos, but solos, none the less. Not that it's important...;)

They are more like what they call a head in Jazz....playing the melody in some form. They owe more to Scotty more that jimmy Page
more akin to a fill than a full blown solo

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
They are more like what they call a head in Jazz....playing the melody in some form. They owe more to Scotty more that jimmy Page
more akin to a fill than a full blown solo

Right something along the Scotty Moore/early George Harrison line, rather than an extended improvisational showcase demonstrating formidable chops (or not).

Jesus freak

I was 10 when Nevermind came out, it had a huge impact on me even then. Huge Nirvana fan ever since. The whole album just has a huge sound to it.

"Come on people now, smile on your brother. Everybody get together, try to love one another right nooooooow!"....... In to Territorial Pissings, awesome.

TheDapperGent

I was 12 when SLTS was on MTV and it changed the way I looked at music. That whole scene had a big effect on my as a teenager.

Great album, still holds up today, and it would still sound fresh if I were to hear it for the first time again.

Custom Deluxe

Not technically very accomplished but serving the song well.

Not sure I would call that the anti-solo, no? I think Cobian's solo on SLTS compliments the melody perfectly.

Some of John Lee Hookers solos are one or two notes, but they nail the feel and mode of the song. Doesn't mean it's not a solo. Albeit, not a great one musically, but still a solo nonetheless.

Londonbus

One of the greatest albums ever.

The guitar tone on the "In Bloom" solo is one of the most killer guitar sounds ever recorded. About 3:15 in the vid below.

kevod23

I remember getting the album in a Columbia House order (wow, that takes me back) and my mom freaking out because you could see a baby penis on the front. It's all really innocent when you think about where music is today, but I also remember being really sick of SLTS and anything from Metallica's black album about 4 months later when MTV had worn out both...

mesa/boogieman

I'm able to listen to the album objectively these days without all the MTV/Rolling Stone Magazine/media hype. It's a great rock & roll album all around.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i was in grad school (MFA in painting) when this all happened.
so i didn't watch much mtv or cable-we were too poor to have cable!
so i didn't really get all caught up in this.
i had a cassette of the album, i remember listening to this in my studio when i painted every once in awhile...

i don't honestly think this album really hit me until a few years after his death...i still listen to this album all the time. it's a great album, great guitar stuff....my kids love this album also by the way (they are 8 & 11)...

i'm not sure if i ever understood the whole "he's not a great guitarist" thing. i personally think he's one of the best pop/rock & roll guitarist ever...if you want guitar solos-listen to "bleach" there's a lot of solos on there w/in the context of the songs--granted they don't sound like 80s metal solos, but i think they are just fine as is.....

Schroedinger

I dont like that album, and never have. That said, it captures the gestalt of the time better than all but a few albums in rock history. I don't like London Calling or Pet Sounds either, but their importance in the rock canon is undeniable.

GA20T

i'm not sure if i ever understood the whole "he's not a great guitarist" thing. i personally think he's one of the best pop/rock & roll guitarist ever...if you want guitar solos-listen to "bleach" there's a lot of solos on there w/in the context of the songs--granted they don't sound like 80s metal solos, but i think they are just fine as is.....

I think that just comes from those who value technical virtuosity over serving the song feeling overshadowed and resenting the love the "ignorant masses" show for "lesser talent". Dork elitism.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, Smells Like Teen Spirit got overplayed quickly. Before the year was over, the valedictorian of our class was listening to Nevermind on repeat. Very bizarre how it all blew up so quickly, not only for them, but for other bands that were under the Sub Pop label we were listening to beforehand.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure I would call that the anti-solo, no? I think Cobian's solo on SLTS compliments the melody perfectly.

Some of John Lee Hookers solos are one or two notes, but they nail the feel and mode of the song. Doesn't mean it's not a solo. Albeit, not a great one musically, but still a solo nonetheless.

Call it whatever you want...it's just great music IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom