Nitro + Humidity = stickiness, anybody else finding this ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BryanMatthews, Aug 11, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

darn weather is so humid at the moment :puh

my hands are constantly sweating and the neck on the back of my R8 is playing pretty sticky and I keep having to wash my hands in cold water and wipe the neck down.:puh

anybody else find humid weather makes nitro sticky on your guitar too ?

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Right now here in Hong Kong is hot and wet, wet, wet and wet (92%).

But my guitars have thin satin poly finished necks, so no stickiness, still smooth and slick as the newborn's ass?:banana

3. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

You could try some light talk powder, dont wash your hands(unless you pee!) it will only make you sweat more!

Satin necks ftw! Hate sticky nitro :X

4. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

In the Summer months when it is hot and humid I use "Finger Ease" sprayed lightly on the neck to keep from sticking. With maple necked teles for me it is a must in the Summer.

5. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Will talc powder on fretting hand be ok to use on nitro finished neck ?

6. maellaguitars

maellaguitars Member

Talc powder could be a quick fix, but if you want a definitive remedy you can sand the neck's back and apply some kind of oil, i.e. tung oil

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

just use some steel wool a few times and your set.

8. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I live in florida and I havent really noticed it, but maybe that is because it is what I am used to. Their is a special trick I do on all of my guitar necks that makes them feel awesome. Take some 220 grit sandpaper and cover your palm in it. grip the neck, and rub it up and down about 20 times or so with a light pressure. then tape put tape over your pickups ( we are about to make a metallic mess that will be attracted to the magnets permanently) and do the same thing with some 000 steel wool. then do the same thing with some 0000 steel wool. It will feel like a regular neck, but very played in. if the sticky thing bothers you, you might skip the 0000 steel wool.

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I notice it. I had two hot gigs this weekend. For the brutally hot daytime Saturday gig, I only brought non-nitro guitars. Much better experience.

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, I hate it, and that's a reason why I really like relics with bare necks, and if I have a guitar that isn't like that, I always sand my necks down to wood. I haven't done my Gibson...yet!

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

If nitro gets sticky then why do they use it and tell us to use it on our guitars? I just sprayed several maple necks with nitro from Reranch. Had I known they would get sticky I would've used something else.

12. mds

mds Member

Part of the "all things vintage are better" mythology...Fender bailed on nitro because the finish had problems...we resurrected it because everything old is better than everything new...don't get me wrong, I love old guitars and dig old worn nitro finishes, but it is not necessary a perfect finish by any means...I think the sticky neck thing comes from just about any finish on a neck...I've never been able to bring myself to sanding my necks, but I understand why people do it...

13. Jim

Jim Member

Will steel wool scratch the finish? Or does it just take enough off so it is not sticky without damage?

Jim