NKT Sunface and MKI Tonebender Sound Similar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Telepatio, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

I've got a AM Sunface which is great and just ordered a MKI Tonebender from Lumpy.

My question is, how much of the same sonic territory do these pedals cover?

I definitely love David Bowie tones and that's why I ordered the Tonebender but I can get reasonably close with the Sunface. It's hard to tell from online clips.

Hopefully they aren't too similar.

I'm playing a Strat through a Super Reverb for what it's worth

I'd also like to get Skinpimp to build me a MKII Supa Fuzz clone.

Am I getting too crazy?

Gosh, pedals are addictive!

2. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

A MK1 and Fuzz Face are not even remotely similar. Once you hear a MK1 you will find that what you thought was reasonably similar to the Ronson tone was not anywhere near similar.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

A Fuzz Face and a Tone Bender (any Tone Bender) are worlds apart in terms of tone...the MK I is MUCH better for Ronson tones however Tone Benders and BF/SF Fender amps don't go well together IMHO...

4. mahler

mahler Member

wingwalker I have a fender bf and sf and similar amps too and all I can say is as long as dialed in right and using certain guitars the tonebender works most excellently IMO. I also agree that what you once thought was Mick Ronson will radically change when you got the MKI, I know it did for me....I'm getting a MKII from lumpy, so let me know how your MKI goes!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. shakti

shakti Member

I'll just echo what the others have said....they are *not* similar...nowhere near. In fact, I think they are extremely complementary. After going through a bunch of fuzzes I've ended up with a JMI Mk I, NKT Sunface and a Wyllie Rising Sun. These cover all of the fuzz ground I need, but they are all very different.

6. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

Well, hopefully I can get it dialed in on my Super. It's the only amp I have right now.

What would you recommend as better? Marshall? Vox?

7. mahler

mahler Member

Again I think its all about dialing in. One of my favorite setups for the MKI is a Traynor YCV40WR a very fendery amp, or using it on one of my fenders, and what I do is use a les paul, tele, es335, or strat and all get great tones! I just back off treble on the guitar, utilize the presence on the amp and pull a Cream Era Clapton Max the mids bass and treble!