Nkt275

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stereotypy, Feb 14, 2006.

1. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

so what fuzz pedals are using this nkt275???

how about the dunlop fuzz face re-issue,.. it's silicon? how does it compare to the am sunface??

2. moodog

moodog Member

Dunlop, and Analogman have the only never ending supply of these things. Both are germaniums. Maybe they both found the same never ending supply of vintage NOS over in Taiwan?

:)

Seriously, I got a Beano boost with a "NKT-275" and it sounds great.

3. rewog

rewog Member

Hmmm.. I just did a bit of research on this.
    The ones Dunlop use are a re-issue made for them, and not the same as the original british made ones - apparently don't sound anywhere near the same.
    The original "New Market" trannies are very hard to get, but by all reports are worth the effort.
    Analogman uses the originals when he can - he has run out in the past, but has found some more I think.
    There is a guy selling Fuzz Face clones on Ebay with these trannies at the moment.

4. moodog

moodog Member

I don't believe that anyone has enough NKT-275 transistors to build that qty at those prices. I bought a Sun Face back in 2000 that was supposed to have a limited supply of NKT-275 transistors. You're telling me that 6 years later after thousands of Sun Face's have rolled of the line there is still a limitless supply of NKT's over there?
    Not only that, I've read you're supposed to have matched pairs of transistors to make up a good sounding fuzz face. I've also read that you need to go through like a hundred NKT-275 transistors to find two that match. So he must have millions of NKT-275 transistors lying around???
    Don't get me wrong, I own a Beano Boost and I love it, the Sun Face kicks ass. But I don't believe that these are some sort of magical long lost transistors in these things. These are probably the same thing Dunlop puts in theirs.

5. rewog

rewog Member

Read my post again moodog. I said that Analogman ran out of these trannies, but has now found more (a limited supply).
    Also, I doubt that he has built thousands of Sun Faces. His stuff is all individually hand built.
    Plus, the NKT-275 is a $50-00 !! option, so it doesn't get fitted to all Sun Faces.
    The original NKT-275's are made in U.K., the Dunlop re-issues are made in U.S.
    Analogman actually states on his site that he doesn't use the U.S. version, and that it sounds completely different. If you do a Google search, you'll find many comments that the re-issues sound pretty bad compared to the NOS ones.

6. einstein

einstein Member

i picked up a dunlop fuzzface at a pawnshop a while back , didnt want it, but it was only $25 so i got it. It is UNUSEABLE completely useless. No sound coming out of it sounds anything like a fuzzface, retchid device. pos
    :jo

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I'll take it... ;)

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Reissues do not have that sweet sound and magic ability to clean up that an NKT275 based device will. And the trannies don't look anything like the originals. I've got a reissue modded with the NOS NKT275s and it sounds great!

9. moodog

moodog Member

Wake up and Smell the coffee man, If Dunlop can have a transistor made to look, sound, and have a stamp on it that says "NKT-275", why couldn't anyone else? And companies do "state" what ever they want to sell a product (like Clapton used a Rangemaster to record the 'Blues Breaker' album).

The truth is the main reason why we even know about the Arbiter Fuzz Face is because a guy named Jimi Hendrix used them and made them famous. I have never read that Jimi ever used a fuzz face that had a NKT-275 transistor in it. The fact that he even used a stock fuzz face live or on any recording is questionable. What is known is that his fuzz face's were modified by his techs and my guess is the germanium transistors were replaced with silicon transistors well before fuzz faces came out with silicon transistors.

I own a silicon fuzz face, and mine cleans up beautifully. I would go so far as to say it cleans up just as well as any of my germanium fuzz face's including the Sun Face. So I don't get it? I mean my Big Muffs don't clean up. If I could put a magic transistor in there to make them clean up crystal clear, then you’d have something.

As far as tone goes? Side by side my friend built me a hack job fuzz face clone with a pair of super cheap transistors (I think they are 2N404) and it sounds identical to my Sun Face. It's funny because I could not find that 'magical' tone in any other fuzz face/clone before that day. I was convinced about the NKT hype up until I paid $20 for this hack job.

What else is strange, recalling from memory before the Sun Face came out with the NKT version everyone wanted a fuzz face with the original AC128 transistors in them. This was the sought after "tone" of the fuzz face. Back then if you had a fuzz face that had an AC128 in it you just struck pay-dirt! These days no one even talks about the AC128. What else is funny is Fulltone does not put either in his 69' pedal and that one sound great too. I've heard he uses common brand new transistors in those.

SonoftheBlues likes this.
  10. Franklin

Franklin Member

I think that matching transistors may be as important as the trannies themselves. Analog Man has sold many 1000s of Sun Faces, and I don't know where he get the NKTs, but I do know that he meticliously matches and tests them.

11. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

well so a re-issued dunlop fuzz face is pretty good!!

12. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

They don't look the same. I have an Analogman Nkt card for my Captain Coconut and it has a sound like nothing else I have heard...very smooth and the clean up is remarkable (best I have ever heard). I have some good quality vintage and new fuzzes to compare to and the NKt is just sweeter sounding.

13. rewog

rewog Member

With all due respect moodog... the fact that you can't hear the difference between Germanium and Silicone Transistors in a good Fuzz circuit doesn't mean there isn't a difference. :AOK
    It is far greater than the difference you will get from changing the opamp in a Tube Screamer for instance.

14. moodog

moodog Member

Dude read my post before you reply to it...

I never said I can't hear the difference between germanium and silicon (not silicone, they put those in Pam Anderson!) transistors in a Fuzz Face. Where did you read that?

15. rewog

rewog Member

Sorry. I wrongly assumed that your Mate's Fuzz Face was a silicon job.

Still, the point of the discussion was whether the Dunlop re-issue trannies sound the same as the original ones. All evidence suggests that they don't.
    The trannies your mate used may be an excellent sounding alternative to the original NKT-275. It doesn't mean the Dunlop ones are.
    BTW - I did a quick search on 2N404's.
    They are known as a high quality Germanium transistor, used in Fuzz circuits by people like Roger Mayer.
    My experience is... (sweeping generalisation coming up)... a silicon fuzz may sound good cranked, but I've never heard one that had the same response and character at lower gain settings as a Germ.

16. moodog

moodog Member

I just brought up the silicon to germanium comparison because there seems to be a ton of hype that silicon transistors don't "clean-up" well. In the fuzz face they seem to do a damn good job of it. Like I said earlier about as good as any germanium fuzz face, including the Sun Face.
    I believe this to be mostly hype to get people to drop an arm and a leg to get "NOS", "Vintage", "Rare", "Sought-after" germanium transistors that "clean up".

As far as tone goes your right, that a different area altogether. They behave differently, sound different and both have their pros and cons.

17. Colt

Colt Member

and I'm pretty sure I've read (in diff. publications and times) that hendrix went through like 15-20 fuzz faces at a store before he found one he liked....

18. rewog

rewog Member

Yeh - I'm sure you're right.
    There's a lot of that type of hype in the pedal industry, and most of us like to believe in the "magic & exclusive" items that we just have to have at any cost.
    Part of the pedal disease I guess.
    Germanium transistors are a pain in the butt with their inconsistency at different temps. I don't think that setting them in a block of resin, etc like some builders do can help much. They will still change temp over a period of hours.
    The best solution if you have to have Germanium is probably Analogman's external bias dial. :dude

19. rewog

rewog Member

I doubt they were matching transistors back then. We're probably lucky that these days we can buy something more consistent - even if it costs an arm and a leg.

20. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Please explain this. Are you implying he did not use this pedal?