NMD (New Modeler Day)!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by DGTCrazy, May 5, 2016.

1. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Well....not quite new, as the Ax-8 has been here for a couple weeks.......but I've been waiting for the Friedman Cab to arrive from Sweetwater to pair with the Ax, (I hadn't been too pleased with the results using the EV or QSC cabs I normally use for my band's PA), but now I'm very, very happy with the initial results. Once I get some of the particulars down, I'll try to get some clips loaded. And in case your curious, that's a '62 Fender Custom Shop HSB Strat.

2. RLD

RLD Member

Is that an active cab?
    And what's inside?

3. DGTCrazy

It's the "Friedman ASM-12 500-Watt Active Modeler/Profiler Monitor"

(From Sweetwater):

The Friedman ASM-12 active amplifier modeler/profiler monitor lets you get great live guitar tone through your amp modeling devices. Many of today's amp emulations create spot-on replications to a real amp, but one thing that simply can't be modeled is the feel of a real speaker pushing air. With the ASM-12, you can run your digital emulations into it for the unmistakable sound and feel of a real speaker filling the room. Play through the Friedman ASM-12 and get the most out of your amp modeling devices.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ASM-12

4. RLD

RLD Member

Interesting...they decided they didn't need a coaxial speaker for modeling.
    Awaiting your review. :cool:

5. DGTCrazy

Yeah....they just went with the 12" and a horn. It sounds very "big" if that makes sense. I love it compared to the EV ZLX or QSC K-12 I was using. It does sound more "guitar cab" like. Ironically, the Ax-8's Friedman patches kill in this thing. The BE and Dirty Shirley just rock:)

Flying_V1968, Gearzilla and Dr Git like this.
  6. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Killer all around setup dude.....Enjoy

7. db2112

db2112 Member

Cool. But since you don't like the tones through your PA tops, what are you going to do for gigs?

8. RLD

RLD Member

Weird...nowhere in the description does it mention 2 drivers....I thought they only used 1 12...did I miss it somewhere?

9. bluzkat

bluzkat Member

Check the pictures, there's one with the grill cover off.

10. AD1982

AD1982 Member

11. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

The only advantage to the point source coaxial is a slightly better listening experience off axis. Dead in front of either will yield nearly the same result. The difference in time relationship to the listeners ears is negligible until you really get off to the side. I'm sure a couple guys here will dispute this with a bunch of paper and lab tests, but I come from the car audio industry(where time alignment is a huge factor) and have personally listened to both designs in person, biggest difference was when I was maybe 70-90 degrees off axis. They both lost something at that angle, the coaxial maybe a bit less. It also depended on how far back I stood from the speakers as that time difference was less the further away I stood. In the end, to me anyway, the coaxial didn't sound better just because it was a coaxial. The entire deign of the speaker, the cabinet, the crossover, and the amplifier all play a part in the overall sound.