NMD: Zoom G3

dwolfggc

I bought a G3 off of Ebay and got it yesterday. I have to say I'm pretty impressed!

I have been using an hd500 direct to FOH for awhile and been pretty happy with it but i also have a pedalboard with some decent pedals and an amp that I like (Marshall JCM 600). My reason for getting the G3 was two-fold:
One, I wanted a looper for the end of my chain. I have a Timeline but i like to run a big washy reverb after it and so any loops i recorded with the Timeline would not include the reverb. My looper needs are not very complex and I figured i could either get a boss rc3 or for the same price i could get bonus amp models and effects. Plus i could run straight from my pedalboard to FOH if i ever wanted or needed to do that. I wouldn't even need a direct box thanks to the G3's XLR out.
The second reason I got the G3 was (as I've kind of already touched on) for those random effects that i might use once or twice. Stuff that I didn't want to sink any real money into or have taking up pedalboard space. Not to mention extra cables, power needs, etc. The G3 fills that need admirably.

I've had experience with both the Line 6 M13 and M9 as well as a boss ME50. I think the G3 is an M9 killer in the sense that its so much cheaper while providing a similar level of quality. I wouldn't say its overall better than the M9 but there are some things it has that the M9 doesn't and some things it does better (of course there are also things the M9 does better).

Some of the pros for me in my intended use:

1. Acoustic simulator - I was really impressed by this. I played it through my amp and it did a good job of approximating an acoustic guitar. It would probably sound even better through a PA.

2. Looper - I like the idea of a set number of measures as well as having a drum track to play along with.

3. Amp Models - I have only tried these through headphones but was very happy with how they sounded. I would have to hear them both through the same PA to tell how they compared to the HD500, though (the G3's headphone out is much better than the hd500's)

4. Tremolo - I was worried about this. There is only one tremolo model and i was afraid that it would do what i wanted to do. I have never gotten along well with the trem models in the M series or hd500. I could get choppy sounds just fine but the warm vox-like throb eluded me. On the G3 that sound is very easy to get.

5. Other random effects - Slicer, slow attack, and comps are very good IMHO. the delays and reverbs are good as well.

6. Ease of use - I never felt like " I better save this patch or I'll never find this sound again." Everything had a pretty wide sweet spot with many things sounding good without any tweaking. I think the unit somehow saves that last setting you had on an effect in a specific slot. I swear i would dial in something, leave it and mess with something else and then come back to find my settings had been retained. However it didn't work when i would scroll to the same effect in a different slot.

Some of the cons:

1. Pitch effects - they are terrible. As crazy as it sounds (considering that Line6's pitch effects aren't great) I think the HD500's are better. The octaver, pitch shifter, harmonizer, z organ, and pitch delay were all unusable to me.

2. Patch navigation - IMO, It would be very hard to change patches mid song. I think you could get used to it but the combination of holding down one button and then hitting two buttons simultaneously to change banks would take some practice to do while playing. Obviously you could just put patches you would need for the same song in the same bank and simplify the whol process. I'm just saying that my initial impression was that the patch/bank change process was a little awkward

3. Overdrives/distortions - They're not awful but they're not great. There are some usable ones, but overall i wasn't impressed. I would give the slight edge to the HD500 here but I'm also much more familiar with the HD500 and which dirt models work well.

I know that this unit is old news to a lot of you but I just wanted to share my thoughts. This is an impressive unit considering It cost less than alot of OD pedals. For my use (end of board looper/random effects box/emergency amp modeler) I think its going to work very well!
:cool:

Henky

Put the pitch effects AFTER the amp models in the chain and they are perfectly usable.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
I used mine yesterday for the first time in a setting where I could turn it up (FBT frfr). Just using a Fender clean and TRock for lead +/- boost/stomp, it just killed. My jam bud said it was my best tone to date (over a 6-7 yr period where he's seen me drag all manner of great tube amps and modelers into our studio). It was definitely cheap thrills. If they ever come out with a full featured box w/ same tones, I'd be really happy (ie, more bottons for instant access, exp controller, etc).

jon

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, G10+. The G5 still has delays when switching from effects to patch change mode. Needs a dedicated instant switch, plus more switches to turn eff on and off without scrolling - another delay. And please oh please, have an LFO controlled AW like the GT10 has. I really like that effect and use it sparingly but strategically in my leads. Dynamic controlled AW is no substitute for me. But even if that never happens, just the big board will do.

jon

Top Bottom