No amp? What pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by npfrs, Jan 22, 2012.

1. npfrs

npfrs Member

So, as much as I like playing my pedalbaord through an actual amp, i got to thinking about touring, especially overseas, and how, no matter what I tell the airline, I can NOT bring my rig on-baord...

[​IMG]

Anyways, I'm wondering if there's a pedal that could be played through that is similar to an amp when DI'd. Could be good to stick on the end of my chain and be prepared, just in case.

I once played a show with a nice Sans Amp that sounded great when DI'd. So, Sans Amp? Ehtos? "Mystery Box?"

Suggestions to look into?

2. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

ethos or carl martin rock bug would do the trick decently enough. I actually have both on my board currently.

there are more expensive dedicated "stomp box" amps out there.. I'm blanking on the name but a quick google search should bring them up. if memory serves, they're between $600-$1000. might be more than you're looking to spend; then again, $600 isn't much more than what an ethos will run you on the used market these days.

3. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've had very good luck with the Tech 21 Character pedals. And yes, I've owned an Ethos. The Tech 21's can be run off of batteries, run on standard 9v and are very friendly with other pedals. They have a huge EQ range so you can overcome a lot of sound system shortcomings easily.

4. dynac0mp

dynac0mp Member

AdrenaLinn III - Great size, excellent amp in a box, beat synched effects. I love mine and it serves as a backup amp.

5. telecasting

telecasting Member

Just hire a backline bud. Amp tone always wins out.

6. Miles

Miles Member

If you have to DI all the time, I think a Line 6 POD HD series would be exactly what you need. WAY more amp-like than some pedal going straight in.

7. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

I've tried a few solutions and the best sounding for me was the Mesa v-twin. It's kind of a heavy beast that needs its own power supply though. For something more convenient I'd check out the h&k redbox. The speaker sim on that is really good in my opinion.

8. Tsathoggua

Tsathoggua Member

You may also try the Palmer PDI09. A friend uses it sometimes and sounds quite good.
    They also released the Pocket Amp which seems to have gathered good opinions.
    Never tried any of these myself.

9. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Any of the Tech 21 Character series would work. Plugged straight into a PA system should do the trick for you.

10. Ziad

Ziad Member

besides the airline issue, voltage differences would ruin your life anyway. using a transformer is such a source of noise that it's simply not worth it unless you have the means to invest in power conditioners and whatnot. Then again, if you're touring overseas, you might have the means to...In that case, I recommend buying a small amp when you get there, and mic it. If you still have to tour once you're there, check it with your luggage (honestly, you don't even need a flightcase, just remove tubes (and/or carry spares) and mark it as fragile). As a matter of fact, I think mic-ing even a solid state cheapo amp (fender frontman or marshall mg or the like) with a pedal might sound better than direct, but that's just me.
    Of course, if overseas for you does not involve voltage changes, you could pay for an extra piece of luggage and travel with your amp. If it's precious, leave it home, get a substitute and travel with that. Flightcase if you can afford it. Just prioritize weight: a light combo, the lightest you can find.

11. TrevorReznik

TrevorReznik Member

Diago Little Smasher? It's an actual amp, you'd need a cabinet

12. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

use a klone when going direct in! on or off it really sounds good.

13. wenbinbin2010

wenbinbin2010 Member

Tech 21 Character series modded with an XLR out from Putnam: http://putnamguitars.com/mods.htm

That's as good as you're gonna get for one pedal. Although right now I'm using a Carl Martin Rock Bug and with drive pedals in front of it to give it some warmth, it sounds great as well.