No audience at the club gig? It must be because XXXX is playing tonight.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Taller, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Over the last few decades I've discovered one constant that I find pretty humorous:
    Your piddly band (I've been in plenty of these!) gets a booking at a club and it's a dead night - very few show up...nobody's dancing...it's just one of those nights. Before the end of the evening, somebody in the band will comment about the lack of audience and it never fails...the response is, "Oh yeah...that's right...The Pink Slips are playing at the Ampitheater tonight."
    As if, that's the reason nobody showed for your gig. It doesn't matter if you're in a hardcore punk band...if nobody shows up, it's because Conway Twitty is at the local music hall. As if anybody who had gone to the Conway Twitty show would have come to the Stink Bar to see your punk band anyway.

"Man, slow crowd tonight...oh yeah, that's right...Robert Goulet is at the Performance Theater.":rotflmao

2. AQ808

AQ808 Member

"Oh... that's right... there was that (sport) game today at noon. People must have been worn out from all that cheering, and ran straight home to bed!" :rotflmao

3. hp29

hp29 Member

Last week I learned my bandmates had turned down a gig in May in fear of good weather. My soul cried.

4. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I suppose sometimes there is truth to much of that.
    I have heard club owners make mention before of how the crowd got drunk early in the day because they watched college kids throw balls on the big screen TV.
    When I hear a band say that I give em the benefit of the doubt, could happen I suppose.

5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

No, that will diminish an evening crowd. People have already got their drunk on and spent their party money hours before the gig starts.

Unless there's zero crossover between sports fans and your audience.

6. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

It's because the hot water's back on at the reservoir and everyone stayed home to wash their hair...

7. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

We played a sports bar / dance club earlier this year same night as the first Alabama/LSU game. The sports fans got drunk, watched what turned out to be a snoozefest of a game, and went home. The college hip hop dance crowd moved in for the night, but all they wanted to do was shake their asses, and we're not much for ass shaking.

Needless to say we were playing to all the wrong crowd. I compensated by shooting whiskey between sets, so whether or not anyone else had a good time, I had an awesome time! :beer

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Well, people don't want to get stuck in all that Goulet traffic, so they just stay home.

9. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

That ******** Bob Goulet.

:mad:

10. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Last time I saw Bob Goulet on TV I shot out the screen with my .38, then I ordered myself a peanut butter and bacon sammich and had it flown in from that hotel in Denver.

11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

What's worse is playing in a sports bar during a big game. Every time the audience cheers you get excited...until you realize it ain't for you.

12. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Been there, done that.

Another reason, I've seen often.... bar owner wants to schedule bands real late into the night. But crowd is there at 7PM and decides to all leave by 10 due to work or school next day. But owner's rule states band cannot start until 10. Would it kill the bar owner to start the band at 7?

13. DRS

DRS Member

If Conway Twitty was playing anywhere, that is something I would go to see!

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Depends on if sizable chunk of the audience sees a band setting up, finishes their drink, and leaves. I've seen that happen plenty of times--not everyone's in the mood for live music just because they're in a bar.

15. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

Not far from the truth for me anymore. I don't hit the night spots as often but if I'm in a restaurant or bar in the early evening for some drinks and conversation, the sight of a band setting up can make me cringe. Most bands in that situation are mediocre at best, and I'd rather continue holding a conversation than being interrupted by hearing that same ol' cover for the 3000th time.

Now if I'm out on the town at night to hear live music or see a show, different story entirely. But in a relaxed drinking/dining/talking situation, sheesh...give it a rest...

16. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Yeah, you can't blame your core audience for wanting to see that.

17. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I still fall for this for a second or two. "Did I just play a good lick?"

18. germs

germs Member

what's even worse is that your band mates are so disconnected from the popular music scene that they book gigs on nights that nationals are playing the larger venues. hell, it's happened to me a time or two.

you're damn straight it'll kill a crowd. that's why the bar owner seems so eager to have you...

19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

i've forgotten what it is like to go out, never mind see a band set up. but i suppose if my intention wasn't to specifically see a band, my reaction would be similar if I had company and were talking. Unless it were a band we came to see and we were there early. That's an entirely different story.