No country for old men vs. Fargo

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sundog964, Mar 14, 2015.

1. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

So, just watched No Country For Old Men, and near the end I thought, very similar to Fargo.msort of dark, but with a funny bent. Good actors, in corny roles very enjoyable.

Edit: just found out they were both Cohn brother movies. Makes sense now. Duh!

2. hellbender

hellbender Member

The deciding factor may be that Fargo is based on actual events.

3. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Between the two Fargo FTW, but No Country was a really good flick. The way I see it the latter seemed to explore a deeper evil while the former was buffoonery meets depravity.

4. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

But NCFOM seems realistic. Great movies, although can be sort of depressing given it does not point out the best qualities of us humans. They are not your little ray of sunshine. YMMV

5. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Yes, I agree. I have to watch these when the wife is out of the house. She doesn't like knowing that there are such depraved people in the world. Gone girl messed her up, and she chose it.

6. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

I need to see No Country again, its been a while. I have seen Fargo MANY times, and I consider it a classic. Excellent movie all the way through. Both movies have some great acting.

7. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Footloose was also based on true events.

Fargo is funny funny

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

From Wikepedia:

So maybe not totally "true", but based on events that did happen, somewhere, but presented with lots of license.

I too think that in the end, NO Country dealt with a darker, more evil side of humanity than Fargo. Maybe No Country just dealt with it in a less humorous way, but both flicks spend time on the dark side, for sure.

Thanks, Dana O.

9. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I enjoy both movies equally.

10. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Henry Lee the famous forensic DR solved a case by piecing together bone fragments that went through a chipper

11. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The Wiki entry is extremely generous. "Completely fabricated" would be a more accurate description, other than the infamous wood chipper body disposal case of Helle Crafts in Connecticut in 1986.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I wonder if it is fair to say No Country for Old Men dealt with a darker side of humanity than Fargo, or if it is more that the tone of the former is thoroughly pessimistic, whereas the latter reads as more hopeful than hopeless. I have not ever thought to compare the two films, even though they are both Coen brothers films, but I suspect the protagonists of the respective films have a lot to do with the difference of tone between them, as do their respective endings. Plus, we would be remiss not to also give some credit to author Cormac McCarthy for the tone of No Country.

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Two tremendous films imo....

Fargo has hilarity mixed with callous horror and is perfectly set, paced and acted.

No Country For Old Men has incredible writing and language and features once of the scariest characters I've even seen on screen....it is also perfectly set, paced and acted.

14. A-Bone

Corny? I don't see that applying comfortably to either film. How do you mean it?

15. Remer

Remer Golden member. See Below. Gold Supporting Member

Both great, but I'm a biased Cormac McCarthy fan.

16. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Ditto

17. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

They really did lift that film directly from the book......reading it after watching the movie was exactly like watching the movie again.

18. Remer

Remer Golden member. See Below. Gold Supporting Member

Funny story, I hadn't seen the movie but when I joined TGP a couple years ago, there was a Cormac McCarthy thread. I started reading his books and then watched NCFOM and the Road. I was hooked.

19. A-Bone

It is interesting, too, given how McCarthy's books read pretty cinematic that adapting them and capturing their qualities in an appropriately filmic way has proven so difficult for filmmakers (Coen's more or less excepted, although their film is so much like the book that I'm not entirely convinced they added much value one would not get from reading the original).

20. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

A lot of people will never read his books and only see the movie. I loved their version of True Grit, and it's nothing but word for word from Portis's book.