No dumble clones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Jul 18, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I've read a lot of posts regarding various amps, and one that keeps coming to mind are the "dumble" clones. I know two huge brands mentioned are Two-Rock and Fuchs. To me they are sort of dumbly, but at the same time, aren't they sort of their own thing? I mean if they were meant to be dumble clones, wouldn't they use the exact same components and such? I mean they have access to real Dumbles. Even though the "clones" have smooth gain doesn't mean they're a clones of eachother. I mean a Hiwatt and Marshall both have EL34's and a similar bite, but yet they sound different. I dont' know just a thought to consider.

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I don't think Dumble made the same amp twice... hence, the clones are often derived from a specific amp that may or may not be the "archetypical" Dumble...

3. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Yeah,
    I have owned one, and played through several OD Specials and I have to say that no two OD's sounded alike to me. Dumble makes amps for individuals so I think each one will have a different voice, hence no Dumble clone will sounds like all of them.

4. aeolian

aeolian Member

At our recent NorCal tonefest, the Fuchs and TR sat in the corner most of the afternoon while we compared takes on Marshall, Germino, Savage, Aiken. Each of these sounded vastly different. Just as takes on the tweed thing are different. When you go in to play with an existing design, it's usually with an eye towards improving some aspect. A tweed Deluxe with less flubbyness in the low end, or whatever. Same thing for any of the Dumble inspired amps. Just as HAD tweaked each one for it's customer, the second generation folks are using their own ears, or input from customers, to move in new directions. Several Dumble schematics are in circulation. And several folks have built exact duplicates of those designs. The tweed schematics have been around for ages. And there are some exact copies of those on the market as well. But the interesting amps, are where someone just uses that as a base, and puts their personality into it.

5. Joe

Joe Senior Member

The only "clone" of a Dumble I know of is the Super 100 from Bruno, as Tony uses ALL of the EXACT same parts, he will not build a "clone" without 100% of the proper parts. Now Tony will build a Dumble inspired amp as well, but if you request a 6L6 or el34 clone from him, he will only build it as the Dumbles he had access to. Tony does build an amp he calls a hybrid that is Dumble inspired.

Truth is, 20 years ago Dumble was a nobody and he built custom amps. A FEW of the 300 or so amps he made wound up in famous hands and thus started this hype. Many 100% original Dumbles do not sound like Robben Ford's, so then the issue is, do you modify it or keep it stock for values' sake? And at which point could anyone prove a Dumble really is 100% stock? There is no ONE AMP to use for reference, so many of the not so great Dumbles have been modified to copy the more brillant ones.

The inspired amps tend to have better quality parts (not speaking sound quality, but wear and build tolerences) than Dumble used. Alex is famous for using Radio Shack parts. Fuchs adds reverb, some Trocls do as well.

Your amplifier is part of your tone, smooth is a function of playing style, guitar, cable, effects and note choice as well.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have two Bruno Super 100s with different voicings. they sound similar but not identical. One sounds better with strats and one better with humbuckers. Tony built them by reverse engineering two different Dumbles that he had access to. So I believe that all Dumbles are different, some great and some dogs. :D

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The TRock Custom is supposed to be a clone of Steve Kimock's 50W Dumble. I think Bill just took off from there with the later iterations and variations.

jon

8. Mike

Mike Member

"Sonic" clone. They kept bringing it to him until he couldn't tell them apart sonically.

Mike

9. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

pretty interesting stuff. i've played a lot of dumble clones but never realized how they were derived.

10. TiEsQue

TiEsQue Member

Please tell me about the differece between the two amps. I might be interested in getting one and I'm a single coil guy.

11. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

As joe said, the bruno 6L6 and EL34 Super 100s sounded EXACTLY like the Dumbles they were cloned from when A/Bd. I THOUGHT I could hear a slight difference when looking at the amps, but when A/bd blindly, I totally failed. :( They sounded exactly alike.

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

It's amazing from one thread to another (and one poster to another), various amps (are) or (are not) or (might be) or are (sonic clones), etc.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

When I called Two Rock last week I was told that the Two Rock Emerald Pro was designed to be a sonic clone of Robben Ford's Dumble amp... according to some pretty knowledgeable folks that I've spoken with, they nailed it...

14. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Is it the Emerald 50 or PRO that was based of RF's? I have a Emerald 50 1x12 combo that I *think* is a "hybrid" of the two going on info that I gathered from the TR manual & a Tone Quest Report article about TR's & Steve Kimock. It seems to have some of the features of both. Mine is S/N 214. It's just for my own knowledge. It sounds killer either way.

15. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

I am shocked to read this!!! Last year I was interested on a Super 100 EL34. So I contacted the guys that knows Tony plus contacted Tony directly...I received a very nasty email from Tony saying that he does NOT make clones....We all know that the Super is a clone and you have word from him telling that he will not use different parts to build a CLONE....I am just confused or the guy is bipolar....what gives?????

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

One of the more amazing things to me is this: I have an actual Dumble ODS-100. Hooray. That being said, one of the amps I have that has a tonal resemblance to it is the Yamaha G100-II. You see them on ebay for about $200 and no vacuum tubes were harmed in the production of that amp.

I got the G100-II because I was interested in getting a historical perspective on the evolution of Rivera tone, not expecting much from that amp. I was quite surprised by the sound.

And no, it doesn't really respond like a tube amp can. But not all tube amps respond like that either.

17. Mike

Mike Member

I owned one from '79 - '87. Robben played 'em (among others) with the Yellowjackets. Great amp for its day.

Mike

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

From what I was told by Ken last year, Tony will no longer make a clone. The Super 100 has been (for the last several years) Tonys take on that sound. The early ones (about 5 years ago now?) were exact clones. I THINK they still have a few of these in the studios at Ultrasound. At least they did last time I was there about 2 years ago. This may or may not clear it up. Call gene or ken for the exact low down on what is available now. :)

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Fascinating that Robben Ford played Yamaha GL100-II's back in the day and that riveratoaster's Yamaha amp sounds like his Dumble, because as legend has it, Dumble would go listen to Robben Ford live and then go back to his shop and try to build an Amp that sounded like Robben's tone

20. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Was Paul involved in that amp ? I didn't know that, if he was.