• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

No EVH Tribute: Clapton,Beck,Townshend,Walsh,McCartney etc?

stanshall

the whole show is a blur to me now, I was 17, but I remember security pulled a fornicating couple out of our row and as they were stumbling out they kicked over somebody's large glass bong and that started another ruckus in our area

I knew it would not be '72-'73 Mick Taylor lead guitar heaven, I had Love You Live ..... but it was still very much the Stones riding a big #1 hit single and they went at it

we've all had good rock and roll trips, this was my first big out-of-state concert adventure ... never saw Eddie again though

BriSol

I know it is extremely difficult for some Americans, I don't know why, but the things that were popular in your town were not necessarily popular elsewhere.
I can assure you, the world over, Santana is far better known than VH.
Only men of a certain age, of a certain geographical location, are thinking about VH.
Trower didn't sing on any of his hits, just played guitar.
Roy Buchanan was asked to join the Rolling Stones, many others were influenced by his use of light strings, bending and tone/volume effects.
The VH party in my area disappeared after their second album. Nobody wanted to hear or play LA party rock anymore.
Clearly some members still do and that's great, but c'mon be realistic about his influence.
Oh, and Banksy. And Christo.
Yea. On one hand, it seems hard to deny that he was very influential, given the significant amount of reaction to him and how much he gets talked about as "the guitar hero who started it all for me". On the other hand, that influence is indeed primarily felt among mainly American guitar players and rock fans who were born around the 70's or at least grew up in the early 80's. It's definitely dominantly relative to a certain demographic. Similarly, people from my generation who grew up more in the 90's tend to near-universally hail Nirvana and Kurt Cobain. These things are quite relative to age and culture demographics.

The older "classic rock generation" of musicians who predated Van Halen, by nature, aren't in the demographic of people who were influenced by EVH, so they are not likely to share the perspective of someone for whom "EVH was the reason I started playing rock guitar".

PapaPauk

I actually respect them more in a weird way for not saying anything. People can grieve and pay tribute personally and that is the way it was before the internet which is still okay now. Anybody ever hear of a greeting card? Or maybe just a phone call? Something like that is much more personal and in my opinion, thoughtful.

Social media is about bringing attention to yourself so the vibe always comes off as "It is so sad what has happened but, hey don't forget about me". As you can tell I'm not a big fan; sorry to rant.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Not to derail the thread but Jimmy really should release some new music before we open a thread "Why didn't Jimmy Page record more music?" after his passing, which probably won't be THAT long from now.
Instant ignore list.

mos6507

Instant ignore list.
Huh? Jimmy is the one who has teased fans over an album for the last 20 years. I'm a fan but I just can't abide that. It's fine for him to polish the vaults (the live DVD in particular was worth doing) but it's been a serious waste for him not to release any new original material. But I was so disappointed in how Walking into Clarksdale turned out that maybe it's better he didn't. As it is now he spends all his time spinning old stories on Facebook which, I dunno, I guess is natural for a guy his age but it's, it's just sad. I don't really vibe with what Robert's doing anymore but at least he's doing something and even JPJ dabbles here and there, but Jimmy, such a waste.

Anyway, end off-topic rant.

COYS

I actually respect them more in a weird way for not saying anything. People can grieve and pay tribute personally and that is the way it was before the internet which is still okay now. Anybody ever hear of a greeting card? Or maybe just a phone call? Something like that is much more personal and in my opinion, thoughtful.

Social media is about bringing attention to yourself so the vibe always comes off as "It is so sad what has happened but, hey don't forget about me". As you can tell I'm not a big fan; sorry to rant.
Totally. Most of these tributes are just a way to inject yourself and your brand into the situation for some cheap impressions.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Most people posting about eddie are just attention whoring :dunno the notion that there's some obligation for everyone needs to be saying something on their twitter is utterly absurd
1st part: I lack the data to agree or disagree.

2nd part: QFT

Big'Uns

Most people posting about eddie are just attention whoring :dunno the notion that there's some obligation for everyone needs to be saying something on their twitter is utterly absurd
Check out the comments from the Trixter guy. Half of his lengthy tribute was selling the public on how he was closer to Ed than your average cat that claimed to know him.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Recall that when EVH and Brian May made an album together with some blues playing on it, they sent a copy to Clapton, who they both greatly admired. In the press he said their blues playing was so bad it pained him to listen to it.

So the old "If you can't something nice..." might be EC's MO these days.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I know I've seen more than one similar TGP posts on RIP threads--

"I wasn't a big fan of his music, but RIP."

Reactions: PRW

Trending Topics