No goldtops in Gibson's 2014 lineup?

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
I think this is the case more often than not. Some years they have them, most the time they don't. People got spoiled the past couple years, now it's a dry spell. Reminds me of natural V's and Explorers.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
Doesn't seem so in the 2014 Standard line up. However, I played a bunch of the USA stuff at NAMM, and while not the most classic in appearance, the Les Pauls and Telecaster all felt way higher quality than years past... The new pickups sounds amazing too. The new "Peace" Les Pauls sounded really good...

chrisrocksusa

i buy all my stuff used anyway. You can buy a whole lot more guitar for the $. If you're a baller it doesn't matter but I prefer buying a better used guitar as opposed to a new trad or something.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Gibson never announces everything they are going to make for the year in January. They announce the things they will make all year along with the early small run stuff. I'd guess they will announce new stuff through the year and some of those will have gold tops.

airportbar

I think Gibson went goldtop-happy after the reaction to the 2010 Studio Tribute line. Maybe this is just a natural correction to that.

Last edited:

RockEm

Yes, this is true. Among the many other bummers in Gibson's 2014 line up.

Roger that! what is the deal Gibson? I do kind of like the bullion color on the SG but I hate that plain jane neck and lack of classic appointments.

fair enough????? blah Gibson.......

ixnay

4499 for an R7 is insane...
Paying MAP for any guitar is insane.

You should have no trouble getting $1000 (or more) off of that price with a little haggling.

Still a bit insane, but not quite as much...

MattChicago

Gibson was showing off a LP traditional goldtop with P90s and a bigsby at Namm. Most likely to be released later in the year.