No Good Demos of Victoria 20112

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
OK so I've looked a lot for good, high quality, mic'd up demos of the Victoria 20112 and can't find a single one.

Especially highlighting it's overdriven tones.

Anybody have any or know where I can find them?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I know this won't help, (my opinion), but those amps kick ass. Here's a Gretsch Duo Jet demo using a 20112, and you should find everything you need here;

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Thanks guys! I've watched both of these and the overdrive and distortion from these demos only come from pedals which is the only bummer cuz I'm looking to hear this amps natural overdrive.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
That's a good quality demo of it.

So does it just sound that aggressive/hot and gainy with humbuckers and that type of guitar?

Torren61

Have you thought about contacting Victoria for a demo? Are you looking to purchase one? If they couldn't get me a demo of that amp and wouldn't let me try out the amp before committing to buy it, I'd look elsewhere for an amp.

paulg

Gold Supporting Member
Since Victoria's are spot on clones, wouldn't they sound like any other tweed Deluxe?

neils

I've owned three 5E3 "clones" and none sounded alike. I had and sold a 20112. To me I found it harsh and hard. That was with an R4 and a Tele I built as well as other friends guitars. I tried many speakers too. I couldn't bond with it and moved on to other 5E3's

Neil

MRscratch

This is a demo i did a few years ago showing the 57 deluxe and the 20112. sorry if its not exactly what you need but maybe it will help?
oh, and i was fat.:)

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
Note: the biasing in these amps makes all the difference in the world...as with any amp. IF the tubes in one of these run to the cooler side versus tubes that run to the hotter side, the amp's sonics will differ greatly from what that same amp would sound like with hotter tubes.
My point being that unless one has the same plate dissipation going on in two amps of the same circuit, then the two amps will not exhibit sonic commonality, ime.

Amp demos/comparisons.....I have seen only one comparison of amps on the 'net that gave me any ground upon which to make any judgement. They paid very close attention to playing the exact same riffs, chord passages, whatever at the same dynamic levels from amp to amp. ONE could actually tell the differences.

RJLII

Note: the biasing in these amps makes all the difference in the world...as with any amp. IF the tubes in one of these run to the cooler side versus tubes that run to the hotter side, the amp's sonics will differ greatly from what that same amp would sound like with hotter tubes.
My point being that unless one has the same plate dissipation going on in two amps of the same circuit, then the two amps will not exhibit sonic commonality, ime.

Amp demos/comparisons.....I have seen only one comparison of amps on the 'net that gave me any ground upon which to make any judgement. They paid very close attention to playing the exact same riffs, chord passages, whatever at the same dynamic levels from amp to amp. ONE could actually tell the differences.
These are cathode bias amps. How would one adjust the plate dissipation, or is that purely a function of component values in the circuit?

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
The 20112 is great but I would go for the Ivy League now that I own a Harvard.
Great little amp
This is kinda off topic...
but why do you say that? Thought the Harvard/Ivy League was a lot harder/stiff sounding comparatively?

MRscratch

This is kinda off topic...
but why do you say that? Thought the Harvard/Ivy League was a lot harder/stiff sounding comparatively?
Sorry guys.i just found it to stay a little tighter than the deluxe. Tone is also a little brighter to my ears. Not as much mid range.

es137p

Silver Supporting Member

through an attenuator, but nice strat tones, crazy everyone putting demos with pedals, like getting a shower in a raincoat.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
These are cathode bias amps. How would one adjust the plate dissipation, or is that purely a function of component values in the circuit?
RJLII, yes, these are cathode biased amps. The biasing is accomplished by the resistance of the bias resistor and/or the performance specs of the tube. Not all tubes are created equal...hence the 'matching' that we demand today. You could order 5 duets of tubes--from the same manufacturer--- that were matched in pairs with each pair having different performance specs compared to the other pairs. Each pair would yield a different level of plate dissipation in the circuit, and a different level of plate dissipation would yield a different sonic. The extremes to each end of the range of those 5 pairs would be much different in comparison to each other.
Imho, it would be of interest/use to have maybe a 100ohm trim pot in a cathode bias circuit in order to use tubes with different performance specs and still be able to bias to a certain plate dissipation...just as one can do in a fixed biased circuit with an adjustable bias voltage. OR...one could makes measurements and do the math to decide what resistance one wanted there with a certain pair of tubes. IT is interesting to experiment with different resistors in cathode biased circuits just to hear the differences in sonics.
So...in sort....both fixed and cathode biased circuits are adjustable by changing the resistance. The range of acceptable resistances is just much smaller than in fixed. IN fixed bias we are dealing with a resistance up in the thousands of ohms while in these cathode biased amps the resistances are down in the hundreds of ohms...depending on the circuit and tubes.

Trending Topics