No-holds-barred quest for small and LOUD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by earthtonesaudio, Feb 18, 2009.

1. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

I want the smallest speaker cabinet possible that is still adequate (in loudness and sound quality) as a guitar monitor. I'm talking small. A 1x10" cabinet is probably TOO BIG!

Literally anything goes: arrays of tiny speakers, single compact drivers in weird-shaped cabinets, etc. Just so long as it's small and loud.

Some other notes: wattage will be determined after the speaker cab is chosen. Also I want to carry this on a bicycle or in a backpack.

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

this is the crate V5
    http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=1

never played one of these but it has very similar specs to a Crate amp I have that i bought 9 years ago. 8" celestion speaker, tube power. Got it as a practice amp, but it cranks LOUD (used to play it with my band in highschool), but the tone is amazing. I use this to record (out the headphone jack into my mac) and I love it. If i played you a sound clip, then showed you the amp, you wouldnt think they were related.

Or are you looking for just a speaker unit?

3. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

Yes, I'm just looking for a speaker unit. Thanks for the link though. The next time I'm in the market for a small tube amp I'll try to remember that one.

4. Derelict

Derelict Member

5. elkym

elkym Member

I suppose you'd want small speakers with really high SPL ratings... and a very cleverly arranged cabinet.
    Darn-- I can't really think of anything.

6. siore

siore Member

I'd look into stuff they put in early Boogies (cabinet materials, design, and speakers). Is it not legend that as a joke, they initially wanted a Princeton that could really put the bigger amps to shame? :munch

7. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

There was a 2x8 in the emporium that seemed pretty neat.

-Jon

8. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Raezers Edge NY8 -- Problem Solved

9. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Raezer's Edge, or old Boogie. Either one would do you well.

10. froglord

froglord Member

11. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

That little thing is BADASS.

-Jon

12. Jon

Jon Member

Can you explain exactly how you are going to use it as a monitor? e.g. If you're miking-up an amp and running the signal to your mini monitor cab you could use a powered speaker like a Mackie SRM 150 or TC Helicon Voice Solo which can be mounted on a mic stand. Very small and loud - volume totally independent of the amp itself.

13. presence

presence Member

14. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

15. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

I have many reasons for wanting to do this, thanks for asking!

Primarily: I want to be able to take all my gear on my bike (that's bicycle, not motorcycle!) to local gigs, without having to take a shower before I go on stage. :) Thus small and lightweight are absolutely necessary, and taking a separate amp and monitor are out of the question.

Sonically: I want the guitar sound to come from a single point source, rather than mic'd cab/various monitor mixes, because I hate the unintelligible mush that results from the combination of many different sound sources, poor venue acoustics, and semi-competent soundguys.

So the requirements are pretty extreme. Compact and lightweight are most important, followed by good dispersion characteristics and adequate frequency response for guitar (thankfully I'm not a bassist asking for the same thing).