1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

No Hum Pedal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Imdok, May 17, 2011.

1. Imdok

Imdok Member

Anyone know who makes the best "no single coil hum" pedal out there?

There's this one place we have started to play regularly that has a lousy electrical grid in house.
    I already needed something for my Strats and Teles but I have a Les Paul with P90 pups coming so I know I will need something for sure to stop this racket and aggravation.

If you have a suggestion for a "No Hum" pedal, would you please let me know if it affects the tone in any way or if it is "invisible", tonally speaking.

Any thoughts or product suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

There's the Ebtech (and probably a dozen similar items) Hum-X that plugs into your power cable. Should lift the hum from the wall. If the hum is being introduced after that there is the Rocktron Hush pedal and/or rack unit.

3. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Noise suppressors don't stop hum, they just clamp down on a noise floor. This can hurt your sustain. The higher the noise floor, the more they will hurt your sustain. Otherwise, if set properly, after you stop playing, it will eliminate humming and buzzing. You can still hear it while playing quietly, depending on how noisy it is.

The Hum-X might definitely be what you need, if it's noisy power. If it's fluorescent lighting, interference from computers or monitors/tvs, or ordinary 60-cycle hum, it won't help.

I instead switched to noiseless single coils and my god, it annihilated my noise issues. Even when sitting in front of a CRT monitor.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  4. peterdjp

peterdjp Member