• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

No interest in vintage gear

I have absolutely no interest in vintage gear of any type. Am I alone in that?

I'm big into pre-war acoustic blues and everyone in that seems to spend their lives chasing 20s and 30s Martins, Gibsons and Nationals. And the same applies to 50s and 60s strats, teles and LPs

I just don't get it. I want to the both absolute best in technology at the best price available, and the feeling that I'm allowed to destroy my instrument through playing it if that's what it takes

Dave Lemire

You aren't alone, although my rationale is different. Combination of not being willing to spend the money for vintage gear, not feeling qualified to really judge value, and rather give my money to a business that's a going concern and keep them going.

twoheadedboy

I'm big into pre-war acoustic blues and everyone in that seems to spend their lives chasing 20s and 30s Martins, Gibsons and Nationals. And the same applies to 50s and 60s strats, teles and LPs

I just don't get it. I want to the both absolute best in technology at the best price available, and the feeling that I'm allowed to destroy my instrument through playing it if that's what it takes

It's not unusual to not be interested in vintage gear, but that is a bit unusual among people are into old acoustic blues. Have you played an old National, Martin, or Gibson that has been maintained and setup properly? They're pretty cool.

Last edited:

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
Well I’m not interested in buying any, but that’s because I can’t afford it!
But I’d be foolish not to be interested in a 30’s reso, or a prewar Martin, or a beat up old Tele if someone is offering to let me play one. So I’m interested in the history of things and why they are special, even if I’m not shopping for them. My plain old mid grade gear is fine for me.

0_0

I'd choose a modern 'relic' over an old guitar any day. Let's say I did score some holy grail like a 51 Tele or pre CBS strat. A 50 or 60 year old guitar would have worn frets, worn hardware, and questionable electronics. In order to make it playable, you'd have to upgrade it and then you just devalued it considerably.

I'd save 85% of the money and just go with a masterbuilt Fender relic instead. You'd have a new guitar that looks old but plays as new.

It's not unusual to not be interested in vintage gear, but that is a bit unusual among people are into old acoustic blues. Have you played an old National, Martin, or Gibson that has been maintained and setup properly? They're pretty cool.

No I haven't, but I'm not sure what would change my mind about them if I did. I don't think I have a level of expertise to be able to judge a difference, so the value placed on it would be purely based on what someone else tells me the value is

I want reliable, geared machine heads and two-way truss rods

You have no interest in a $40k guitar? Why not?

I know it's a sarcastic question, but I'm going to answer it sincerely nonetheless. I have no interest in $40k guitars because I'm not interested in art pieces. I want an instrument to play

When it comes to the likes of vintage Nationals they aren't actually that much more expensive than new Nationals (multiple of 2-3), but the original Nationals were built without truss roads. I'll pick up a National at some stage but it will be coming straight from the factory

twoheadedboy

No I haven't, but I'm not sure what would change my mind about them if I did. I don't think I have a level of expertise to be able to judge a difference, so the value placed on it would be purely based on what someone else tells me the value is

I think you should play them and see for yourself whether you enjoy it. Until then, you're just speculating. FWIW, old Gibsons have very functional truss rods and tuners.

Strummerfan

I'm interested in vintage as far the history and the context of who might have played them, the stories behind them. I wouldn't want to own one even if I could afford it, because those stories come with wear, and damage. I don't think they have some magic quality that is missing today or that the vintage guitars are somehow intrinsically better than modern, quite the opposite. The guitars of that day were less consistent than what is being produced now, and had more work done by hand, which can be a bad thing, or a good thing depending on who is doing the work. As for "vibe", the vibe is in the playing, not the guitar.

dconeill

Silver Supporting Member

I'm big into pre-war acoustic blues ...

No, not alone. Caring about (or not caring about) vintage gear is a lot like caring about (or not caring about) Argyle socks. It's largely a fashion choice.

Keep in mind that when so-and-so used a 1935 Martin OO to record a song in 1937, the OO in question was a two-year-old guitar. So is it "authentic" to use that same now-86-year-old guitar to record the same song?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom