1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

No Live Pink Floyd (1973-80)?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Guitarheel62, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Guitarheel62

Guitarheel62 Member

Were there no Live Pink Floyd Album releases during what would've been their prime years? If that is the case, why not?
    Listening to a Live version of Brain Damage/Eclipse on Sirius XM made me think of this. I couldn't tell what year the live version was from.

2. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Good question. I don't think they toured very much.

Guitarheel62 likes this.
  3. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I have bootlegs from many tours in the 70s and they were awesome live. Gilmours tone was aggressive, they jammed songs out more, and they took chances. They did Dark Side of The Moon in front of a ballet for example.

Vintage_ and Guitarheel62 like this.
  4. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

There is a great bootleg from the LA Sports Arena (4/26/1975) called Cruel But Fair.

fishleehooker and Guitarheel62 like this.
  5. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

As mentioned, 'alternative sources' are the thing.

F'rinstance, I was at this particular show, and thankfully someone had the foresight to capture it for posterity:

Guitarheel62 and 1967SG like this.
  6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

There are plenty of bootlegs, most not very good quality recordings, but there are some that are prior to Dark Side of Dark Side material in development that are quite interesting.

Vintage_ and Guitarheel62 like this.
  7. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

I had a pink vinyl bootleg back in the late 70's called Floyd's of London. Disc 1 was DSOM live in London and Disc2 was Meddle and some earlier tracks. It was damn good as I remember.
    I've run across boots of the Animals tour with Snowy White as the 2nd guitar player that were really good. Unfortunately i forget where I downloaded that from, some bootleg website years ago.

8. wombat66

wombat66 Member

While they have been accused of being a "lazy" band, there were 36 shows in 1973, 27 shows in 1974, 29 shows in 1975, 55 shows in 1977, and 18 shows in 1980.

Guitarheel62 and fjblair like this.
  9. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

I tried to look up the Floyds of London vinyl online but all I get is a different disc set. I may still have it somewhere. I try to post more accurate 411 about it.

Guitarheel62 likes this.
  10. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

That's still pretty sparse compared to most name brand bands in the 70's.

11. jfb44

jfb44 Member

That was taped by Mike Millard. He would edit a recording at certain spots when making copies for "friends" & kept meticulous notes of who got copies. When a vinyl version of the recording suddenly showed up being sold at record stores, Millard would then know which person's name would be added to the ban list for tape trading.

Millard frequently taped Led Zeppelin & one of the most frequently circulated LZ bootlegs is "Listen To this Eddie".

There are several phenomenal PF bootlegs from 1980, IIRC, one from the Nassau Coliseum performance in Feb. of that year.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  12. pepedede

pepedede Member

They were a huge production with their bespoke and huge sound and lighting systems in big venues.

fishleehooker and fjblair like this.
  13. wombat66

wombat66 Member

Interesting subject. In the same time period of 1973-80, The Rolling Stones played 168 shows and Led Zeppelin played 175 shows versus Pink Floyd's 165. So they are all in the same ballpark.
    Led Zeppelin released a concert movie/live soundtrack album (song remains...) during this period and it was not considered an artistic success and may have even diminished their reputation. That may have been a warning sign to Pink Floyd who had a very visual production which should have been documented in film.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I've heard good and mediocre Floyd bootlegs from that era. The studio albums sold well enough and they were such perfectionists that I think it's unlikely they'd want to put something out that wasn't up to the standards of the studio albums, and they didn't enjoy working with each other after DSOTM, so why bother?

Rock concert films were much rarer in the 70's, and part of the Floyd mystique was the visuals from the show. By not having films, you always wondered, and you had to buy a ticket to find out.

Jp2558 and Guitarheel62 like this.
  15. leemelone

leemelone Member

While they weren't released during that time frame, Pink Floyd did eventually release a 1974 BBC show in the DSOTM reissue and a 1980 show from the Wall tour.

16. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

And there are a couple of live cuts of Animals material in development on the WYWH reissue.

Stev0Griffin and Guitarheel62 like this.
  17. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Pretty sure there is a boot of almost every show they did during that time frame. Some are pretty good. They were a studio band that was very particular about their sound. Steely Dan didn't release live albums back then either.

Guitarheel62 and Seth L like this.
  18. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

They played Dogs and Sheep, under different names, to open the WYWH show at the Sports Arena in L.A. and kind of blew my mind.

19. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Lucky!

I would have loved to see them back then, when the set had more improv, and they had that quad sound system...

Guitarheel62 and chrisr777 like this.
  20. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I remember a quote from Gilmour from some time past:
    That after DSOTM hit success, they all knew they never had to work a day in their lives again if they didn't want to.
    They really didn't, they were set for life from that point on.
    So, unlike most bands, they never Had to tour to make money or to gain more success, that part was done.
    It truly was their own goalposts in place to ever create anything after that point.

So I guess that's where the 'lazy' part comes in.
    They simply didn't have to if they didn't want to.
    It was completely optional.

Mike Lenning, Guitarheel62 and Seth L like this.