1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

No Live Pink Floyd (1973-80)?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Guitarheel62, Feb 9, 2019.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Yes I was going to mention them and that IMO they were fantastic and a great pleasure to hear after knowing every note from the studio albums. Got the 1970-71 and 72 box sets 2 weeks ago and love all the bit and pieces, all the ladies in the choir of the AMT who liked like they came from a python bit, so guys going Grandma played with the Floyd. sad there is nothing of this sort from 73-77. I have seen the boot of the wall and IN truth I did not enjoy it much, ok till the built the wall and then it got boring the camera must have been run by a roger fan.

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

New stuff pops up this was found a year or 2 ago so one never knows

3. 1967SG

1967SG Member

I was at the Animals/WYWH tour - heard that there are recordings to a Nakamichi Dragon tape player from each show, but probably bs.

Oakland is a famous boot.

4. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Live albums were a cheap way to fulfill a recording contract back then. They didn't need to do that.

Guitarheel62 likes this.
  5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I had that on a vinyl set of LPs since the mid 80's ( it was an xmas gift from my parents) and sounds like it was cleaned up at bit. the guitar on the LP's was real ratty n nasty sounding( in a bad way) like recording a stack with a cassette tape recorder/

1967SG likes this.
  6. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

This sounds great to my ears.

Seth L, bobmc, Benz2112 and 7 others like this.
  7. Guitarheel62

Guitarheel62 Member

This should be released as a Live Album immediately.

8. Guitarheel62

Guitarheel62 Member

If I could bend notes on a Guitar like David Gilmour I would never leave the house.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  9. jfb44

jfb44 Member

For those interested, you can find non-commercially available recordings of concerts here or here.

Edit: Lol, I can't believe that a CSNY concert I uploaded in 2008 is still actively seeded on TTD.

fishleehooker and Guitarheel62 like this.
  10. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Incredible, thanks for that!

11. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

they did it's part of the bonus tracks on the 2011 WYWH remastering

art_z, Stev0Griffin and Guitarheel62 like this.
  12. Guitarheel62

Guitarheel62 Member

Thank you!

Stev0Griffin likes this.
  13. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Never saw that on LP - cool!!!

14. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I think I have a boot of that Wimbley 74. Every Boot I have, I like to replace with an official release, IF and when a band decides to do this. Of course I keep the bootleg as they sound more raw and "captured", rather than produced in any form, although some boots have certainly been edited. Also, every PF bootleg is a fantastic concert, even if its pretty much what you expect. It was clearly live and more raw back then. There is real excitement when it is like that, as compared to more modern PF live, which has pro musicians helping out a lot more than back in the day. I love new live PF too, but the old ones are special.

sixty2strat likes this.
  15. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

I always enjoyed the Is There Anybody Out There recording. I think it's from this show.

Stev0Griffin likes this.
  16. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

The Man and The Journey from a 1969 Dutch radio broadcast is the one to get for a decent quality soundboard boot.

17. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

As a few have mentioned previously:

In the (2011?) “Why Pink Floyd?” re-releases contained live tunes from their ‘74 tour, in Wembley. Dark Side of the Moon had the entire album live.

Wish You Were Here had the early versions of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs (You’ve Got to be Crazy), and Sheep (Raving and Drooling), also from the aforementioned show at Wembley in ‘74.

I actually prefer these live versions of the albums / songs. They’re stripped down to bare bones, but it still feels like Floyd. As if you aren’t missing anything by it just being the four and some backup singers. It isn’t an overcrowded mix. Plus, it’s AWESOME to hear the original versions of Dogs and Sheep.

Then, in the early 2000s, they released the “Is There Anybody Out There?”. These are live recordings of The Wall from ‘80 and ‘81 at Earl’s Court. I wish they would release this digitally: I believe it was only on a collectors set of CDs. Tremendous performances by all, as you can imagine. In some songs, you can hear the click track coming from Roger’s headphones bleeding into the mic. (Nobody Home is the one I remember the best)

Omega and 1967SG like this.
  18. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

It was included it the Immersion version of The Wall box set. It should be out there digitally somewhere.

19. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

I picked it up on iTunes but it only had select tracks from the release, with the whole album in demo form. I’ll have to check into it and see if there’s another version with the whole release. Thanks!

20. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know of any sources for PF in Hi-res audio? I would think those 2011 remasters would have been done in 24/96 at least, but not finding any hi-res downloads, either PCM or FLAC.