No love for Roger Mayer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bubblygum, Jun 27, 2006.

1. bubblygum

bubblygum Member

It has occurred to me that Roger Mayer doesn't seem to get much love in the internet guitar community. This seems quite strange to me given that Hendrix is in many ways the Granddaddy of making effects a major component of his tone and that so many pedal related questions concern Hendrix type tones yet the man who made his boxes is very rarely mentioned in fuzz or wah discussions. The only box of Roger Mayer's I've seen regularly mentioned is the Voodoo Vibe (which I own and think is excellent). I wondered if anybody has any thoughts as to why this is. I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts. (incidentally, I'm quite interested in the Concorde+ Treble Booster, any thoughts on this?).

2. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Oh, Sir Roger is a maker of fine pedals.
    If you run any of them at stage levels through a brittish style amp they make sense.

Now the Voodoo Vibe can do many things and maybe it's drawback is that it does several things well and you can't easily go from one favourite to another, while I gather Sir Roger is working on that and many other fun things to give more control to the instrumentalist.

Also Sir Roger is a knowledgable gentleman with a great sense of humor

BJ

" What It Is" Steven Bruton

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I honestly think that his refusal to market his pedals as 'true' bypass is probably hurting his internet reputation. (Even those that have what others would call 'true' bypass, he calls 'hard' bypass which is technically more correct.) "Not true bypass? Can't be any good then." :rolleyes:

I don't think the physical appearance of the pedals does him any favors either - just way too quirky and/or toylike for most people (the Rocket ones) or too streamlined and futuristic. There's no 'boutique hand made' look about them, no retro look or emphasis on one-off variability.

In other words, by simply refusing to comply with the 'market rules' for boutique makers, he's maybe not perceived as one of them.

This is not meant with any disrespect for those small makers who do 'follow the rules', more despair at how stupid the 'rules' are, BTW.

I also wonder if a lot of people even know who he is, and/or somehow don't believe that he really worked for Jimi.

And yes, I love my Voodoo-Vibe too :).

4. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I don't know about the TB issue, but what turns me away are the shape and size. I like to have the smallest, lightest pedal board I can, and his pedals just don't work well to accomplish that. Same thing with the Visual Sound stuff; the packaging is just too big and wasteful.

5. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Ah yes, pedalboard real estate is an issue.
    That's come to think of the biggest issue. The rocket series could easily be in
    MXR size from the pcb size.

BJ

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

He definitely marches to his own drummer! I can understand why he wanted the "rocket" enclosure for his fuzzes-it makes a lot of sense in the studio, but it's pretty usless for the road because of the weight, size and shape. Unfortunately he doesn't listen much to customer feedback... I'd love to try the "Vision Wah" but there's no Mayer dealers near here. Lots of killer ideas-his interviews in Non-Digital Tom's book are epic.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

I think he sucks. I mean, what monumental ego. Claiming to be the answer to modern blues, playing with Pino Pallidino, c'mon!!! Just because he uses vintage gear he thinks he's the ****. And Fender had the stupidity to issue a sig guitar named after him???

Wait... you said Roger Mayer didn't you?

Oops, sorry, wrong thread. :p

8. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of his pedals (Axis and Classic fuzzes). They were alright, but there are other ones out there that sound better to my ears.

9. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

10. bubblygum

bubblygum Member

Thanks for the replies guys. It's certainly pleasing to read that none of you have mentioned tone as a problem, and the other things you mention are very interesting to read.

11. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

:roll :roll

12. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I passed on all his fuzzes. Now the Voodoo Vibe is awesome. Wish I had one. Has he really been knighted? That would be halarious...and not that far fetched.:crazy

Bob

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have his Octavia, the one in a silver spaceship shape and it's a killin' piece of gear!

I'll be re-packaging this circuit with a Fuzz Face clone to save space on the pedalboard.

But I must say, the spaceship shape is a very smart shape if it's only one or two pedals you are using because it's heavy enough to not turn over on stage, and no knobs in the way for stomping on if wearing combat boots. And there are times I only bring one pedal to a gig, but it's not the Octavia, it's the Proco Rat, so I'm thinking of gutting my Mongoose Fuzz (spaceship shape) to build a Rat into it. The Rat will stay put and I wont need a board.

14. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

But Pete Cornish refuses to do "true bypass" as well and he does pretty well in his niche?

I really think the issue is in the fact that many on the internet don't play big loud brit stacks at full volume where in my opinion is where the Roger Mayer stuff sounds best. I still love the Classic and Axis fuzzes it's just that there are others that work better for my application. I agree with you on the shape those are too big for some people, I think maybe in a world of so much new stuff all the time, perhaps we just tend to forget about RM. I can't recall a lot of other complaints other than that they just sound better when the amp is at full tilt. The Voodoo Vibe is one of the most tweakable vibes on the market, how can you not love all those controls?

15. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I had a guy mod my wah with a Roger Mayer upgrade, and it really didn't blow me away. It has lots of choices/ different tones but most of them are not useable. SOme sound good at bedroom level, but once I get to the gig they don't seem to work.

16. Antero

Antero Member

I have a Voodoo-Axe fuzz, one of the smaller black ones. It's pretty cool.

17. bubblygum

bubblygum Member

This is not a criticism of Pete Cornish (I've never tried any of his pedals) but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets away with the non-true bypass thing because his pedals are so expensive that it takes them beyond the boutique market into a category of their own where the usual marketing rules do not apply. In actual fact I think the high price induces a kind of "they're so expensive they must be good" effect. I'm not saying people are conned but more like they would think that if he's charging that price and is so vehemently opposed to true bypass they're must be something in what he says. Roger Mayer, on the other hand, has prices that (at least in the UK) are much the same as all other boutique makers and thus puts him squarely in competition with them. I hope people don't take offense at this because none is meant (what I'm saying at least makes sense in my head :)).

What you, and BJF, say about using British style amps certainly makes sense given their origins. However, it's seems slightly peculiar given that Roger Mayer says in his interview in Dave Hunter's book that he designs his pedals for a SF (I think) Fender amp run totally clean (and also tests them with the amp distorted) to provide a base so that people can switch from clean to distorted. Has anybody had any luck with his pedals applied that way?

Thanks again for the replies everybody this is (to me anyway) very interesting.

18. retro

retro Member

I am a huge fan of the RM's pedals/kit I own or have used so far.

I've used them with a JTM45RI, a DRRI, and a MAZ-18 Jr with equal success. Fender's and Gibby's.

I think the Voodoo and Vision series besides offering primo tone employ some well thought out design features.

Multi-mode outputs. (Hard wire or buffered outs.)

The sweep control on the Vibe Jr allows you to pick the frequency around which the vibe sweeps. Very nice feature, once it sinks in...

Sliding battery door is also great.

Lot's of headroom. For me always a bit above unity so no volume drop.

Both chorus and vibrato are equally great and the ability to mix them rather then toggle one or the other is another nice, well thought out touch that wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Really enjoy the Red Lion Wah kit...really quiet, great sweep, again cranked with fuzz and vibe lot's of smiles.

The fuzz pedal has a wonderful modulating distortion that rises up and blooms out when letting a chord ring or note sustain that is very heavenly sounding to me. It also cuts well and I was a little surprised as I didn't think it would.

They all seem have a nice organic refined and subtle quality that really shines if given the opportunity.

19. jgyn

jgyn Member

Love his stuff:

Voodoo Vibe
    Voodoo-1
    Voodoo Boost
    Axis Fuzz
    Classic Fuzz
    Octavia

I usually use either Marshall or Hiwatt amps.

20. bubblygum

bubblygum Member

What's the Voodoo-1 like? According to his website it seems designed to provide tube/valve style gain rather than fuzz and is designed more for humbuckers than single coils. Is this your view? Also, does it work well providing tube style drive to a clean amp? Cheers.