No love for SRV strats?

TylerE

I would never, in a million years, buy a guitar with someone else's name or initials in giant letters on the front.

99% agree. That's why I think it's a cool move that Geddy Lee has his name on the BACK of the headstock on his sig basses. Best of both worlds.

Blues Wail

I love my
If I was to ever get a strat, it would be an SRV, but I hardly ever see pics of those here.
1997 SRV Strat. It has been my main gigging axe and, I’ve use it on
Many cd recordings. Previously,I had been a Les Paul player. The SRV changed that for me although, at times. I still use the Paul for specific sounds

Darth Weller

I would never, in a million years, buy a guitar with someone else's name or initials in giant letters on the front.
This, makes grown men look like they are playing dress up " I'm going to be Stevie Ray because I got the guitar and the hat!"

It's not a bad axe, played on a couple, but having SRV all over and the fact that if you are going to have an SRV. well he used monster frets on his #1, granted I would not string it like him, I like strings a little thick, but he had high tension lines going on.

Much like the Malmsteen guitar thread, you may think your hero has everything just dialed in sweet, but thats usually sweet for him/ Judge a guitar on itself in the end, that's when I decide if I want to take it home or not.

The one artist model Start I did like as is was the Dave Murry Strat. I was sooooooo tempted as I used to have a picture of him playing the Strat he got from Paul Kossef on my mirror in my 2nd year of playing, but for $250 less I found a G&L that was what I am more into now. But if I had money to burn and wanted a Super Strat with a Floyd that I dont assemble, the Dave Murry model rocks.

Darth Weller

And if the Dave Grissom PRS came in 24 frets. I'd take my sights off the Custom 24 and aim at that, as I like the control layout of the Grissom better. I did not mind not having a tone knob when I owned a PRS but now I'd not want a guitar without one, I use them a lot now.

Samba

Poly finish, Texas Specials and Pau Ferro are features used on moderately priced Fenders in this day and age. IMHO the sig should use the American Original series as a base, and better approximate what SRV actually used.

JDutch

I know SRV is supposed to have helped develop his signature Stratocaster, but without him having ever used the guitar, it feels a little like a money grab to me.

Also, as others have said, having anyone's giant initials (including mine) on the pickguard isn't my first choice.

I'd love a Stratocaster that's designed to replicate the tone of Stevie's No. 1 (including the backwards tremolo), but with different finishes and neck shapes.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
99% agree. That's why I think it's a cool move that Geddy Lee has his name on the BACK of the headstock on his sig basses. Best of both worlds.

I am pretty sure no one is gonna recognize it as being an SRV if you change the pickguard. I also doubt anyone is going to be close enought to see that it has a signature on the front , let alone that its SRVs sig.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
Poly finish, Texas Specials and Pau Ferro are features used on moderately priced Fenders in this day and age. IMHO the sig should use the American Original series as a base, and better approximate what SRV actually used.

The idea of the Artist Series is that the Artist gets to pick the specs they want in a guitar that is being built. The Tribute series is a reproduction of the guitar the artist actually played. Different approaches.

Speedbump61

Gold Supporting Member
My lord, I hope I never grow up to the point where I can’t pretend to be something that I’m not for a short time. If it makes someone happy, not my place to tell them not to be. It may not float my boat, but no one is being forced on that same journey if they don’t want. I enjoy reading what others like and why.

Darth Weller

That's great and there are plenty of people who want to watch a local musician to pretend to be someone else, not just channel but pretend to be them. Plenty of places for Musical Thespians.

But it looked asinine to me for Arik Marshall to be playing a guitar with big SRV stickers on it at Lalapaloser 92. Maybe if they did not suck so bad that day, I'd not have cared, but it was the cherry on an uninspired set from a big act I expected more out of. Hey the rest of the acts that day were awesome,. And a few years later I saw them with John and his strats sounded glorious.

Samba

The idea of the Artist Series is that the Artist gets to pick the specs they want in a guitar that is being built. The Tribute series is a reproduction of the guitar the artist actually played. Different approaches.
Stevie "chose" from what was on offer in the late 80's. :) The SRV sig is very much a product of that time - and unique features like Pau Ferro, Texas Specials and XXL jumbos frets are now standard on budget conscious models in the line. A sig reboot based on the Original series could make it relevant for this century.

kev

fire hydrant
Double Platinum Member
UH...ok then, the force is strong with mine y'all

My only Fender Strat, bought with just about all the money I had in May '92 (neck stamped March 30th, 1992, for those curious)...very Wayne's World-ish, and very worth it:

both of us young, rolling with the stock pickguard and the 'case candy' '50's style strap...this moment in time was just as we took the stage...it was off the hook hot, we were all drenched with sweat just a few songs in:

iONifOvc3oC6QXd8fbC44Dpo_QkXLPNCRSaPQI_cUQKNToIOkf7IK-wdxP0GT2f48vgFUyT1Pgf0CqA2ImuGfar-jv2xqlRXD_gkplWvwX1GgSV98UCKjf9pCGUCMphLxcGr6IKcJnAOj1JO4fWG8KYyy6sdBeR1VLwLqvlD_s_NAvM3627YA408PfWRMV2xCu4BUO8Iq3gFysc-vpbzjAGEtbrI0f_CA5BD0KYIVtcOnQizZrS_7GdpyXH28Tl49HIkEEuObZYJbAUfaSuB118-XE5vZ_jYH985DB7s9QxhMil8REo94SNpWF9-oUr3pSu4GiKh4SmvtfFgDS4J2tEX8RVhr3UufofMjaWwJ7huOb1qLaLHG5Vn2elEPfTFKkyU8pi-BUoOahJB2HrD5sINUY1mYvrLUAyGe4Q8bJylFcA6XSmxz8AdQnddEWsDMZ1lQ6d1TPJqsqux14DvtztOhEIB2zW4-K_BBg1EK3jvrvhjTo8wSitPsq4ywAcYrnzeGJ7iv_1Px0lsBwY89gSVBsrHhrt9mCklaw--Jl-CM9TcfTzmXrlmaJeeSJ4ATWvBD4yNa7QWVc8HUp1diaH-8xZMflG8ruvB2QcE7XHmTtbd6gABt62V44Oof5jTbwxCwBm1xaOmgJjRdrCl5L5prNpcXjVXkQ=w795-h458-no

In Tomo format:

8_HuFzZnRY6CjdT_eeahq5Q7o8svREeyA7aHrlsQSxk7NTH4x1KiPTWKXKfaHhgYuWeB8jDjHAoIXWqdhmlr9zArYfvFcnFKgXwmvdRuvwlstFiMf4i_156sjfyKJf1oOSC5D1PExXTbWNHUy-cZJ3kU3uRW_2PFFDcz92WY7fmw0Fu0r4WCZiE1keqnqF6ddJ8_SgbUNpXEML7aHJOA9_6RDRTuItG2Ia2do3KbwGp1WSxhxTkLCAICVC6FJKA0pqMiwqpyWrIxgyBM2oiFQIfxfBNIEE-ObdwpA-zgeSk0KJNYqsUeO-Zmm-UjMcDXzugsqCi7A9lIolrjm_3z1MCD5NmXLtIydF09doSKFA-c0urD-HIazav7lvhsFDN8rw0x8UJPVEV8czY8aeQaz3btg8PHvc4wHdnw0KjNo3FiFyaQDFWtc0QVZODhVRLSMVYcMGvGsS7hhsI1IzcO-NrUp0LsGPPxxNc_tnWXiBsFEo8RHyUVdyP9djencWVbTk2HWuMaoldo5kr1HIT_nf-jaRFgCXPFQxwPlKlLRpQ62Pdl1MhLaRCRcQLa11Cz2KQUgP61WGeKusemV9nsrnFJUoZ40PH--EM1JqxeAsav2jdGrUroOvSw-rgs9ENGKcptGT9zVuBSvj7EWmbOxifD_RGNVX_lqg=w695-h327-no

latest 'guard, plus goofing with a cool puzzle from my family (which looks to be my dream rosewood board vintage Strat, a late '64/early '65):

V7YWiPWaEKMYfZIqOjhBa__kRi49PMR2Dam2JkXqTWeYi_cBSMoMUSa-chYPXacABBRDmJoS4Z7pPzuTDE449F9-bBRONFugUks3lqMMjpkwpLzcHOtCM-XxYJrrycB6YjQPsfD0U87WmSnaKkl-kXcd8kFRYm3Ps4yqygJ14W6Z5uEHSQD9lMEJ9innD19GD1zQR6aMy4IeDGRfbOM_sjVJhfmjipBqU97bTufaCQ3MeN427-CGn7OQ34rnmIytwRwKIQAKFANcRMPSm2OHs_jSTWNGwS0I-RdQeotVoHzDWJkkamQbepuVVapgYC27nY8B74g1VG3cvqXgAW4ueU87dmPt6beA2YcU9YAOZiZGa93UjmF-C1RB_Pt1aYNRCm5Bp51aIyZYoK5bx4XUQNAXWlZBAB6KQ_eFyCCi9iMTEki1c5IqhnOutU7qdrycpbtQlHQ9f8e4kA-g-6ibnmiFPCvASOOaaaS_eKuhSkDBoirCAw1jin7UoRuNjJiRIW6-ZTkcIVCezUBwbsqZqUJpF7sX3IBTn6kWHD6wYCdBCGYox6Nbq82XhqYCKahNnwno2Mukz16yGb15fVD4FJLW1Ii-Hl63pzL8YCo7bOW8bpDnwi2DO1G5Ibs6Jk-5JcOs62aROQgaemdFdX2n6njPGU-ekviZJw=w1920-h853-no

cap10kirk

Seriously I'm probably the only one here who is not a fan. I hope I don't get banned.

You're not the only one. :hide

The lefty trem is very awkward to me...well, all Strats feel kinda awkward to me, but a Strat with a lefty trem is even worse. Aesthetically, I don't like the gold hardware or the giant SRV initials on the pickguard, but those things would be easy enough to change. I like the neck profile on it, but I'd have to get a really good deal on one to buy it.

Top Bottom