• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

No love for the Boss OD-200?

grozeil

seems like just a few are convinced about the greatness of this small stompbox.
Don’t own one yet, but i’m quite interested by what it can offer. What TGP’ers are saying after a few weeks of try?

Hawkmoon269

Silver Supporting Member
Most of the pedals that it models can be picked up for $50 used. So if you’re only buying the OD-200 for 2 or 3 of the models then you’re really not saving money. Plus you don’t get the same level of control over the parameters.

But if it sounds good to you then buy it.

tofudoom

I actually thought some of the demos sounded pretty bad. And some of the demos are so over-produced that you can't really tell what the pedal sounds like with just an amp in a room. It certainly doesn't sound on par with something like the Sunset to my ears.

ranchofm

I actually thought some of the demos sounded pretty bad. And some of the demos are so over-produced that you can't really tell what the pedal sounds like with just an amp in a room. It certainly doesn't sound on par with something like the Sunset to my ears.
Yeah, I usually think Rabea's demos are the some of the most thorough and well done, but his OD-200 demo left me with almost no impression of the pedal. Odd.

monty

Dont own one, but was plenty impressed when I tried one a while back. Plan on picking one up in the future.

tofudoom

Yeah, I usually think Rabea's demos are the some of the most thorough and well done, but his OD-200 demo left me with almost no impression of the pedal. Odd.
Yes, that's exactly one of the demos I had in mind. On the other hand, I think Ola Englund's "Does it chug?" demo gives a better sense of what the pedal actually sounds like (in certain modes at least, since he's only demoing the pedal in a very particular, metal-focused way), and I was not impressed.

Mr.Pug

I played one for a while at my local GC, and I wasn’t overly impressed. I tried it with a few different amps, and though I enjoyed the Klon and TS settings, the rest fell flat on me.

mac jones

I own one and it's presently my favorite dirt. Demoing it is very difficult as it's so complicated. It's dual channel with almost a dozen drives, you can mix and match with. It even has midi. Something like this, you need to spend time with it. It's a good fit for my playing style.

Last edited:

grozeil

I own one and it's presently my favorite dirt. Demoing it is very difficult as it's so complicated. It's dual channel with almost a dozen drives, you can mix and match with. It even has midi. Something like this, you need to spend time with it. It's a good fit for my playing style.
May I ask you something about the OD-200? Since you can plug an expression pedal to control the effect level, this expression pedal should act as a volume pedal, so you can cancel the use of a standard volume pedal from your rig, isn’t it?

And yet, I’m a thread started by someone calling it “great” and not even playing through it
o_O
huh?
i'm not calling it great.
but i know i could make it sound good if i have a chance to play it.
i have no problem with digital overdrive/distortion.
it's all in the player.

Warkli

I didn't own a OD-200 but had a chance to try it on the store for like 10-15 mins. Some settings sounds really good. Impossible to seperate if it's analog or digital, just good. But also some settings are ...weird? They sound ok but it was like they have that modeling character too much to my ears if it makes sense. May be I couldn't tweak it as it should be in a limited time, not sure.

It's a good pedal indeed but I don't like having too many options that I won't use so I just moved on.

Leon Todd

Excellent pedal IMO. The gate gets overlooked but together with the ability to blend drives in parallel make it a fantastic option of you like boosting already crunchy amps.

Trending Topics