No matter how heavy you think you are, you will never be heavier than this...

TP Parter

I don't care how low you tune, how much gain you use, how many amps/watts/speakers, how much you scream, growl, or grunt, no matter how big the kick drum, how much double bass, or what key you play in. John Lee is the man himself, and we are just children trying.

Listen to that groove. When people say "freight train rhythm section", that right there is what they are talking about.

Doomrider78

I don't care how low you tune, how much gain you use, how many amps/watts/speakers, how much you scream, growl, or grunt, no matter how big the kick drum, how much double bass, or what key you play in. John Lee is the man himself, and we are just children trying.

Listen to that groove. When people say "freight train rhythm section", that right there is what they are talking about.
Weren't they allowed tuners in prison? :spit

sleewell

Those poor folks were already in prison, isnt forcing that on them kinda excessive punishment?

hube

Silver Supporting Member
Khanate is the heaviest, most genuinely unsettling band I've ever heard.

TP Parter

This thread is just people that have never actually seen or heard heavy bands live.

John Lee Hooker is in no way shape or form heavy and Demilich is ok Death Metal with silly vocals.

I got you actual heavy music.

Lol, no but it definitely is full of replies from people that in no way understand what heavy truly is. My last concert was High On Fire, the one before that COC and Clutch, I was at Lakeland Civic Center for Clash of the Titans, the concert that got Slayer temporarily in the Guiness Book of World Records for the loudest concert ever. My record, CD, and Spotify collections are a who's who of rock, punk, and metal spanning from the '60s till now. John Lee Hooker is "heavier" than any of them.

And no, those are two groups of children trying everything they can to sound heavier than anyone else. John doesn't try, he just is.

Doomrider78

The funny thing is that is part of what makes it soo damn thick.
No, it's really not. It's just annoying.

Although a metal fan, I definitely agree with the sentiment that speed, gain or tuning does not necessarily make something "heavy": "Heavy" is due to the writing and execution. There are acoustic songs that are heavier than anything Cannibal Corpse have ever written. Having said that, I don't even find the OP track that "heavy", but that's me :dunno

deceased

This thread is just people that have never actually seen or heard heavy bands live.

John Lee Hooker is in no way shape or form heavy and Demilich is ok Death Metal with silly vocals.

I got you actual heavy music.

I’ll give you Primitive Man, but Boris and the like are kinda getting into noise for noise sake IMO.

For what it’s worth- I think what makes Demilich heavy is a combination of time changes, using higher notes and evil sounding scales rather than low power chords despite being tuned in A standard, and an unrelenting yet varied blast of energy throughout the album. I love his voice, and I think it complements the eccentricity of the music perfectly- but it’s about their music for me.

Trending Topics