No matter what your stance on drugs, this is a fascinating read...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Lution, Mar 5, 2015.

  1. Lution

    Lution Member

    Messages:
    8,316
    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2005
    Location:
    At the crack between the worlds
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. kcprogguitar

    kcprogguitar Member

    Messages:
    2,237
    Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas City
    I'll remember that. The next time I'm a mongoose.
     
  3. Seth L

    Seth L Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    22,305
    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2014
    Location:
    N.C.
    Stoned as a water buffalo.:roll
     
  4. Jason Calieri

    Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    5,416
    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2002
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    "If you give hash to male mice, they become horny and seek out females — but then they find “they can barely crawl over the females, let alone mount them,” so after a little while they yawn and start licking their own penises."
     
  5. enocaster

    enocaster Member

    Messages:
    5,090
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2007
    Location:
    The Berkshires, MA
    Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.
     
  6. sundog964

    sundog964 Supporting Member

    Messages:
    8,981
    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2015
    We visited a bunch of villages of native Fijians, and they have this root called Kava. It is drunk by the men a lot. And is used for trade. The women of the village use it as birth control. Because when the men drink it they can't get it up. Hilarious stuff.
     
  7. voxylady

    voxylady Member

    Messages:
    2,041
    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    This was the most important take-away IMO.

    "Only 10 percent of drug users have a problem with their substance. Some 90 percent of people who use a drug—the overwhelming majority—are not harmed by it. This figure comes not from a pro-legalization group, but from the United Nations Office on Drug Control, the global coordinator of the drug war."

    I think there are a good many people who think that drug usage automatically includes, or leads up to, drug abuse. That's just not the case, and I think it's very important to remember this when these sort of discussions pop up.
     
  8. Jules

    Jules Member

    Messages:
    1,455
    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2009
    Location:
    With your sister somewhere you wouldn't like
    Sounds familiar.
     
  9. Jason Calieri

    Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    5,416
    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2002
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I call that Tuesday night
     
  10. Campfired

    Campfired Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    15,680
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Location:
    Nutmeg State
    Mmm mmm mmm mmm...
     
  11. choucas09

    choucas09 Member

    Messages:
    3,251
    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2009
    Location:
    Wimborne, England.
    Nice to read some common sense and research as opposed to the Bill O'Really(?) approach.

    The War On Drugs has just given power and money to the worst members of society and has cost the taxpayer a ridiculous amount of money and has achieved apparently nothing.
     
  12. Skeet skeet!

    Skeet skeet! Member

    Messages:
    2,885
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2007
    Location:
    The Fartist formerly known as babybatter
    I had read somewhere that reindeer will eat halucinagenic mushrooms to break up the bleakness of winter, and that the magic reindeer for santa came from accounts of people seeing reindeer behaving strangely.
     
  13. kcprogguitar

    kcprogguitar Member

    Messages:
    2,237
    Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas City
    Really? That's your argument? "Only" 10% of drug users have a problem?

    1 in 10 is not very good odds.

    If someone handed you a pill and said you have a 10% chance of writhing on the floor of addiction hell, would you take it? Even if the other 90% was a chance of a safe stone?
     
  14. aiq

    aiq Supporting Member

    Messages:
    7,966
    Joined:
    May 10, 2009
    Location:
    Northern Gulf Coast
    Percentage of tobacco and alcohol illness, addiction, and death much much worse.
     
  15. Seth L

    Seth L Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    22,305
    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2014
    Location:
    N.C.
    Hell yeah!
     
  16. choucas09

    choucas09 Member

    Messages:
    3,251
    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2009
    Location:
    Wimborne, England.
    Under what circumstances do you imagine this scenario? A 10% chance of addiction from single usage...really? Or should I say O'Really?
     
  17. hi-fi-dave

    hi-fi-dave Member

    Messages:
    4,931
    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2006
    Location:
    NW,Ohio
    Note to self... never get as high as a mouse on hash...
     
  18. AZChilicat

    AZChilicat Member

    Messages:
    30,807
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2013
    Location:
    The Land of Sweet, Sweet Likes
    Not bad, only ten posts to get political.
     
  19. voxylady

    voxylady Member

    Messages:
    2,041
    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    That's not the way it works first of all. Second, the numbers are roughly the same for alcohol users.

    My point was that this statistic is good for tearing down the argument that the majority of people who use drugs become addicted and end up destroying their lives.

    Plus, I'd be interested to see what the numbers are for each individual drug. There are certain drugs that are shown to be much more harmful and addictive than others, so I'm curious how much those drugs pull up the average.
     
  20. pgoon

    pgoon Member

    Messages:
    819
    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2013
    :roll
     

Share This Page