No more discounting at Guitar Center.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomkatzz, Mar 5, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I had heard somewhere that GC was bought out and that beginning the first of this year the new owners weren't allowing personnel to discount merch.

Well, it's true. I waited too long.

2. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

I was in there last week, and got strings for a buck a pack cheaper than the sticker....?

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I bought a pedalboard there a couple weeks back and got the manager to give me 10% off the *clearance* price... so I'd say your source is wrong.

--chiba

4. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Better check the date on that MSNBC report.

5. Crikey

Crikey Member

I started hearing about a year ago "the regional manager won't let us deal anymore." And they are pretty consistent about it; I guess they can afford to be, having driven most of the local mom & pop places out of business. But when I get those flyers in the mail, I go in and make offers, if there is something they have that I want, and as long as there is a "sale" going on, they will usually deal, even if what I'm buying isn't technically part of the sale.

These days, I pretty much only get PA/keyboard/percussion stuff or cheap effects there. There is a boutique guitar store in town that gets my business for serious guitar stuff. Well, and the TGP Emporium! :dude

I haven't bought anything at GC since the first of this year, so maybe they've gotten even tighter.

Crikey

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a PRS Modern Eagle from them, and they beat everybodys price. They came down 20% from what was listed on their tag. (And that price was lower than many stores)

7. Crikey

Crikey Member

Good eye, but then there's this:

"The deal, which requires approval by Guitar Center shareholders, is expected to close in the fourth quarter."

So the OP is probably right. Umm, at least about the acquisition if not the discounting.

Crikey

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Here is the deal as I understand it. The whole "no discount" policy is being tested in certain markets. But GC will still beat any price with a price match. Basically they are trying to get rid of the discount for discounts sake. But again, they still have their 30/30 price match guarantee with a quote in writing.

Disclaimer:
    I work for GC. I am not saying any policy is right or wrong, just trying to give everyone the scoop on what is going on. Please don't bash ME.

9. Dannc6

Dannc6 Supporting Member

Yeah just got a bunch of money off of a martin yesterday - they're still discounting in Cincy

10. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Yep...things will be changing......G.C. can't afford to stay in business either with their own monster they created..When Bain capitol bought them out they were like a few million dollars in debt as well so hopefully good local mom and pop stores can make a go of it. I manage a local store and we do not match prices...competative yes!!!....match...no. Unless it's something we have to order and in that case it makes a little more sense being as anyone can order anything from anybody but....only if it makes fianancial sense as well. We really don't cater to "online guy" or the "I can get it here for this much guy" We feel we have a lot more to offer than just being order takers. In house repairs,real world experience,actually knowing product etc..etc.. I've many times helped out good customers in their time of need when something goes wrong before a gig or something of that nature...And I hate to admit it but...I get a kick out it when the G.C. doods come in all panicking looking for a favor on a friday night or whenever their gig is and I tell them....You buy all your stuff from G.C. and now you need me?? lol!!! I will still help them out but..it ain't no favor and treat it as I would any rental or repair and charge as such. We're doin pretty good and it's getting better all the time!!!:AOK

11. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

Yeah, that's what my friend said. He said he couldn't come down off a green tag item. It was a green tag item I was asking about.

He was willing to knock off $50 on a $999 Martin (non green tag item), but that's only five percent. Last year I bought a new USA Strat, Fender Blues Jr amp, Gibson Les Paul Studio, and a Gibson acoustic/electric Dobro, and they gave me on average, 20% off and more per item.

12. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Trust me, you spend enough in there, they will discount.

13. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

Yeah, they'll discount some. That's what I said. They just won't discount like they were last year. It's about 5% (now) verses 20%+ last year.

14. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

It is unfortunate that GC and mom and pop shops have that kind of attitude towards each other. I personally don't care about that kind of competition. I run into customers that I have sold stuff to all the time at the local mom and pop shop when I am in there checking out all the stuff we don't have. Suhr, Caa etc....I really think that all the music stores should work together to help the customer, but I can understand animosity towards GC and their customers from the local shops. But in the end, it only hurts you. You could be pushing away a future customer. Maybe you don't like "that guy" but business is business and the customer should come first no matter what kind of store you work in. I am glad you and your store are doing good. The local store here does great business and I am glad for them. There needs to be variety in stores/selection. Helps everyone.:D

15. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

I'd rather bash my face in w/ my own les paul than shop at GC.

16. webe123

webe123 Member

So Guitar Center is no longer owned by Musicians Friend?

How long ago did this happen?

17. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Guitar Center was never owned by MF. They are both owned by the same parent company and operated as separate companies themselves.

18. webe123

webe123 Member

OK, but that still does not answer my question. I guess I should ask....Has GC been bought out from the "parent" company that owned both MF and GC?

And WHO is the new company?

That is what I am trying to find out.

19. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

From my own experience and knowledge, they are still offering deals in my area. However, they have firmer "minimum selling prices"... I asked a manager about the policy changes and he responded that "they don't have to discount" as much as they used to. In other words, they are controlling the market to a greater extent than ever.

However, as a merchant I must say that they do seem to operate on thin margins...Thinner than most of the Mom and Pops could afford, so they have become the Goliath of the marketplace. Unfortunately, this seems to be the way of the retail world in most sectors.

20. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I have zero animosity towards G.C. or customers that shop there, in fact..I'm seeing more and more Ex G.C. loyals in my store all the time..people are really starting to "get it" even some of the younger set!!
    There is so much more to a "good deal" than just paying as little as possible...:AOK