1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

No More Eminence!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by diminishedlogic, Jun 8, 2005.

1. I'm sorry, I've tried... I hate the governer cab! I HATE IT to pieces! I love the sound with the treble turned down, its got amazingly beautiful mids. But I can hear this terrible harmonizing thing on the 15th fret of my e string. and I can hear this buzzing in the amp almost, and no its not distortion it only happens on 3 frets. I cant take it. F- Eminance. 1 up to dave at avatar incredible customer service.

......now.... the question is..... WHAT DO I DO NOW?!?!?!?!

I need lush cleans and warm gutsy o/d sound! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!! the speaker sounds like DUNG!!! theres this massive high mid range peak that just makes it unlistenable. I found it great with a BLANKET over it believe it or not. when i cranked the volume with a blanket over the amp the high midrange was virtually gone and i just had miles of gutsy tone but with this buzz and harmonizer effect. It killed me!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

poor guy.........I think you're beyond help. :eek:

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

When all else fails there is always Celestion.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

The harmonizer effect is "cone cry" if you do a search you'll throw up a bunch of info about it.

It's not exclusive to Eminence but there is another thread about just this problem running right now.

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

You WANT a Celestion G12H30. :dude

6. LithiumZero

LithiumZero Member

If they are 16 ohm speakers, I'll swap you two Celestion G12T-75's out of my Marshall 1960A Cab for 2 Governors. PM me

7. Igneous

Igneous Member

I love my guv's:dude

8. Igneous

Igneous Member

having both of those speakers in the same cab , you might get some strange power handling because of the diff. ratings.
    btw-cheers

9. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

I have 2 , Tonkor , Swamp Thang .....great speakers, thanks to Dave at Avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no crying here

10. el34power

el34power Member

How long have you had them? I had a Private jack that i hated at first. Just when i was about to toss it it started to smooth out. Before you panick.... I plugged the headphone out of my stereo into the low gain input of my amp and let it play for a couple of days. :cool:

11. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Break the speaker in....

12. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...sell 'em and move on. Life's too short :YinYang

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

You just don't like it. I love my Governor. I can use it.
    Foe me ,govenor has nice balance tone ... I don't know
    what exactly looking for?
    Please e-mail me. I can buy it from you... so forget about
    this.

I offer fast ricky love to but his Govenor ...but someone
    already offer him... I offer fast ricky love more ...but
    he sold to the first person.

music@tomofujita.com
    I will pay you by paypal right away..
    e-mail me please.

PS, Could you tell me

Which guitar?

What amp?

Setting? Vol Treble Bass

Any pedals?

I am just curious.

Thank you for your time.

Tomo

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

That's sort of a funny post!!! The Governor is one of my favorites I've ever owned.. I have at least 30 different Ev's, Jbl's, Pas, Fane, Celestions, Jensens, Eminence, WEbers,etc at home and the Governor is in the top for sure!!!!! You either have a blown speaker, a totally faulty speaker, or you haven't learned how to dial your amp in yet to match different cabinets, as you sound so frantic like the Governor sucks and it pretty much is the opposite of suck!!

ERIC

15. Phloored

Phloored Member

I have a tonker and it sounds great, very balanced and can generate some colossal low end. Harsh in the highs for abought 8 -10 hours and then very balanced and smoove.............

16. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

This thread was started by the same guy who said the Suhr's guitars were just a notch above an off-the rack Strat. After reading that entertaining thread, you have to wonder about this one.

"F- Eminance."

Come on.
    :rolleyes:

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

I was a bit late. He sold his governor to his first guy.

You are Right! He should sell his at e-bay. So I can offer
    higher!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Tomo

18. I'm still covered under the 2 week return policy at avatar speakers.

I'm running through a parker fly, into a boss gt-6 into carvin tube power amp.

Set up with bass at 10 mids at 2 treble at 11 presence (on power amp at 12.

19. StratMatt777

StratMatt777 Guest

You can't say "F-Eminence" based on one speaker.
    Yes it sounds terrible (unless you have a low gain amp)- even after 4 weeks of break-in, but that doesn't mean that everything they sell is crap. However I don't know since I haven't tried any of their good speakers.

Now I'm getting worried because you say Dave's return policy is only 2 weeks.

I thought I should wait for at least a month of break-in since Celestions need break-in time too, but the Gov is not getting any better.

Actually I thought it sounded dlightly better for its first couple hours of use before it had done any break-in... then it eventually settled in on it's permanent ultra-mushy fuzzy sound.

Honestly, it's sound blown to me so I will just tell Dave that I think it is defective- because I do think that is entirely possible.

Maybe Avatar got a bad batch?!!

Since others here love the Gov and that's seems impossible to me based on this Governor I keep trying to "break-in" to make it sound better.

It never happens.

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Your whole post sorta begs the question; and the answer is noted above... the Gov isn't the speaker for your application.

Try another speaker. Chalk it up to experience, Ebay it and then look for another speaker to fit your needs better.

It is just a part of the journey.