No More Eminence!!!

• Thread starter diminishedlogic
  • Start date
S

StratMatt777

Originally posted by Scott Peterson
Your whole post sorta begs the question; and the answer is noted above... the Gov isn't the speaker for your application.

Try another speaker. Chalk it up to experience, Ebay it and then look for another speaker to fit your needs better.

It is just a part of the journey.
I agree mostly.

BUT, Eminence shouldn't hint and allude to the fact that this is like a Vintage 30 when it sounds nothing like it and is all gritty and fuzzy instead.

Same with the Legend V12.

They shouldn't market a speaker as being like the Vintage30 when it is not because people who have V30s will buy it and be very disappointed to find out it is a very bad imitation that is not even remotely similar to the V30.

That's my feeling on this whole thing.

They could have said it was like the V30 with low/medium gain amps, but that it becomes very compressed and gritty if you use something like JCM800.

That would have been a good accurate descirption that would have prevented me from wasting my moeny.

You say the Governor is not the right speaker for my application.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!:)

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by StratMatt777
I agree mostly.

BUT, Eminence shouldn't hint and allude to the fact that this is like a Vintage 30 when it sounds nothing like it and is all gritty and fuzzy instead.

Same with the Legend V12.

They shouldn't market a speaker as being like the Vintage30 when it is not because people who have V30s will buy it and be very disappointed to find out it is a very bad imitation that is not even remotely similar to the V30.

That's my feeling on this whole thing.

They could have said it was like the V30 with low/medium gain amps, but that it becomes very compressed and gritty if you use something like JCM800.

That would have been a good accurate descirption that would have prevented me from wasting my moeny.

You say the Governor is not the right speaker for my application.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!:)
Hey there, I only have 1 Governor, but it's not gritty or fuzzy with my amps. I 've been using an older hi-gain Engl thru it , as well as a Demeter TGA2's gainiest channel , a Thd Flexi , and some other assorted amps and it's clearer sounding than my V30's. (I like those also in different cabs) Sounds like yours sounded quite a bit different than mine as mine sounds great with cleans, mid gain , or really hi-gain! I'm using it tomorrow nite as the Engl I'm using is actually a stereo amp and I put 1 side into the Governor and the other into a Marshall6101's combo speaker I have (I have a Cele Cl80 in there) and it's some of my favorite sounds! Just goes to show ya what I post a lot, that people really have to try these things. Unfortunately sometimes someone gets a cruddy sounding one, or defective one . Btw, my Governor isn't just like a V30 at all, but more similar to a Rivera/Cele g12t-85 which does share some V30 characteristics so they're not all that different. Sounds like yours was shot tho! ERIC

S

StratMatt777

Originally posted by ericb
Hey there, I only have 1 Governor, but it's not gritty or fuzzy with my amps. I 've been using an older hi-gain Engl thru it , as well as a Demeter TGA2's gainiest channel , a Thd Flexi , and some other assorted amps and it's clearer sounding than my V30's. (I like those also in different cabs) Sounds like yours sounded quite a bit different than mine as mine sounds great with cleans, mid gain , or really hi-gain! I'm using it tomorrow nite as the Engl I'm using is actually a stereo amp and I put 1 side into the Governor and the other into a Marshall6101's combo speaker I have (I have a Cele Cl80 in there) and it's some of my favorite sounds! Just goes to show ya what I post a lot, that people really have to try these things. Unfortunately sometimes someone gets a cruddy sounding one, or defective one . Btw, my Governor isn't just like a V30 at all, but more similar to a Rivera/Cele g12t-85 which does share some V30 characteristics so they're not all that different. Sounds like yours was shot tho! ERIC
Thanks for the great info!

It definitely sounds like I have a defective speaker here.

I'm glad I hadn't started swapping speakers around yet! :)

thanks!

j37nm

been following the eminence talk. bought a governor. Agree with most people in that it had this harsh fuzzy top end, and "boxy," sound. I was pissed off! But, I read some cool stuff on celestion web site on how to properly break in a speaker.

Fortunately for me, I have a studio where I can crank the hell out of my amps. After a month +, several hours every day of loud music pounding through my governor (and the break in procedure, see below), it has finally broken in. I had to work hard to get this thing to break in. Perhaps its due to the fact that the governor can handle 75 watts. You have to work hard to break that sucker in!

May eminence should have a disclaimer about break in process and patience. Maybe impatient dudes or dudes who don't know how to break in speakers won't be as dissatisfied.

Anyway, no that the gov is broken in, no more fuzzy high end, cone cry, or "boxy," sound. This speaker is the real deal. It has that nice vintage 30 break up, with a very smooth midrange. The high end is very detailed! A great speaker! A very great speaker!

Hope this helps

[from celestion website]

How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

JamesPeters

Originally posted by diminishedlogic

I'm running through a parker fly, into a boss gt-6 into carvin tube power amp.
That setup is a bit unusual in itself, so perhaps this speaker (and perhaps this particular cab) just don't suit it well.

Trending Topics