No more lessons for me - Practice Advice

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Johnny Alien, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

So I had some scheduling conflicts and had to end my guitar lessons at least for the duration of the summer. I enjoyed taking them but things happen I guess.

I consider myself at an above beginner level. I know my barre chords and a bunch of open chords plus the variations (7ths and what not). I have learned some scaled but not a ton.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a practice plan that may help keep me going during my time off. I want to get better with my right hand technique as well as quicker chord changes. I don't fancy myself becoming a lead player but I do try to do some fretboard exercises to increase my speed and accuracy.

Are there any book series that some of you teachers use that I could get and follow through myself? I am fairly disciplined and with the right material could probably get myself going in the right direction.

I am jsut worried that no structured lessons weekly will make me lose focus and leave me stuck and the same skill level.

2. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
  3. giggedy

giggedy Member

this has helped with right hand speediness: http://www.guitarspeed.com/

I would definitely learn the major scale all over, and see how it relates to chord construction. Then learn different sequences of the major scale. Learn the different ways the major scale relates to the modes. Learn arpeggios in different sequences.

When I say sequences, I mean that if the scale up and down is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, then a different sequence would be to learn it in a pattern that is "out of order" from straight ascending and descending. Try 2 1 3 2 4 3 5 4 6 5 7 6 8 7, and then you can start seeing that there are tons of ways to do it. Then when you start hearing the patterns, mess around with what you like and try to apply it in your playing without necessarily sounding like a pattern (unless that's what you're going for).

When something is tough to play and it's taking a lot of effort, put the instrument down for a bit, catch your breath, go for a walk, whatever, then go back with a clearer head. You can't play anything proficiently and easily unless the mind knows and comprehends what's going on as far as the movements of the fingers.

I'm not an instructor, although I have taught some people, so I would see what people say to my advice, and definitely read others advice too. The stuff above should last a lot more than just the summer for things to practice.

4. Swain

Swain Member

What do you want to accomplish this Summer? Narrowing it down a little, will make it easier to find something that will help.

5. ?&!

?&! Member

I am a guitar instructor. If you can't continue your lessons, buy a songbook for a band you like, and subscribe to Guitar World and Guitar Player. Learn to play some of your favorite songs competently, which will take patience and dedication, not to mention lots and lots of intense LISTENING. Read the magazines, and try to get something from all the various columns. Learn the songs in the magazines, or at least parts of them, whether you like them or not. Follow this pattern for a year, and you'll be pretty amazed at your progress.

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Great advice. I kinda was falling into the play along to songs I like and learn them camp but thought maybe that was just part of the puzzle. Which maybe it is but it is something I can easily do myself to keep me going and progressing.

7. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

What these guys said...