No More Masonette?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by khudson, Jun 14, 2005.

1. khudson

khudson Member

I heard some news from a reliable source that Greg will no longer be making the Masonette. Glad I bought mine when I did. It is such a terrific amp! Get one while you can...

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Maybe Greg is relaunching it as the "Maisonette" which is the correct spelling of the dwelling that Peter Baker referred to.:D

Best, Pete.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

The Masonette is going away because it overlaps with the Club 40, since the Club 40 can run 6v6s and get down to 22 watts. Also, the Club 40 cleans up better with the vol knob on guitar since the OT on club 40 is much larger.

4. khudson

khudson Member

You are right - when I was over to Greg's not too long ago, we A/B'd my Masonette and the Club 40 he had there and they do overlap somewhat.

5. alainguitars

alainguitars Silver Supporting Member

Trisonic,

Funny thing, I called Greg and told him about the correct spelling when the amp was coming out. I guess he was too overwhelmed by the launch of his amps to want to change it.
    I see you're out of England, I'm from Europe also, we're probably the only ones who noticed it.

Alain

6. Noel E.

Noel E. Member

The Masonette is indeed going away. Soon as Greg finishes whatever pending orders he currently has...well, that's it. I received a very detailed explanation from Greg as to the reasons; sws1 pretty much sums it up great in his post. Seems Greg feels that the Club 40 (and I believe even the Lead 55 LV) can cover the ground that the Masonette covers quite well when fitted with 6V6's.

Sad to see the model retired, so to speak, but I have faith in Greg's judgment...and I know he believes he made the right decision. Still...I love that model so much that I bought one of the remaining two heads we had left in stock for myself! I've had my eye on the Masonette for a couple of years now (it's just the perfect amp for my particular gigging situations both in terms of tone and power ), so I figured I'd better grab it while I can...

I also had a nice conversation with Greg yesterday...and that man has been working hard! Some very cool things in the future...so while we may mourn the loss of the Masonette, we'll have other great Germino products to look forward to...

7. sws1

sws1 Member

Yes - I know all that because I just had an hour long conversation with Greg myself. I'm selling him my Super Bass, and then we got onto a long amp discussion.

8. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Mason, man, because it's made below the Mason-Dixon line, and mason also, because it's a stone-cold killer of an amp :dude

9. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Shouldn't that be Manson? ;)

10. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

The Masonette has been removed from the product section on the website. Knowing Greg, I am sure his next amp will blow us away again. Judging from the number posts, there are quite a few of you who puchased Club 40's and Classic 45's.

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I love my Masonette! I used to have a Naylor SuperDrive 60, which is a fine amp... it was my #1 for a long time. The thing I didn't like about it was that the Naylor didn't take to pedals very well.

Enter Germino! I was blown away from the start, and those Germinos love pedals! Cleans up very nice and the over drive... oh the over drive!

I A/B'd the Masonette against the 18 W Aiken Invader. It was close, but the Masonette came ahead by a nose.

12. tch2112

tch2112 Member

I have a Masonette 2x12 and will keep it as long as I can.

I really think the amps will become collectors items too.

Way fuller then any 2xEl84 Marshall style amp I have ever heard.

tom