No more negotiating at GC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

picked up a demo RE-20 last night at GC (price was already good at 139 for a bsaically new RE-20). One of my regular guys was helping me and I asked him to knock 10 bucks off which they pretty much always do for me, and he said that sadly, they no longer have any authority to drop prices and neither do the managers. New GC policy from the new CEO.

Any request to lower a price must go up the corporate chain now.

2. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

Why they would make it more appealing to going to a competitor is a bad business decision.

3. dazco

dazco Member

What about price matching? If they stop both of those they'll be gone pretty quick. In fact it sounds like this may be a sign of impending doom. It's what they have based thier existence on for a long time and if they can't hang with internet prices i don't see how they can survive. along with other changes we're seeing like fender now selling direct tells me all but the used brick and mortar stores are doomed before long. Most are already gone, looks like the few stragglers are soon to succomb to internet pressure. I'd like to go back to way things were. Internet in the end is just evil.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

They tried that a few years ago. It didn't work for them then and it won't work for them now. My feeling is the guy was feeding you a line.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

^^^ I agree. New CEO policy or not, this can only bite them in arse with experienced buyers. If they plan to stock nothing but Squires and Epiphones to sell to only newbies, then maybe that policy will work for a while to help hold margins. :dunno

6. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

They are back to that same mentality again. The whole corporate atmosphere of the place is ponderous. Whatever happened to sticking it to the man?

7. Skibum00

Skibum00 Member

I bought a little Blackstar HT-1 practice amp at GC last Wednesday and I asked the guy if he could move on the price as I have seen better prices on line. He took $20 off no problem and he isn't a sales guy I had ever worked with before. I think that guy just didn't want to drop the price for you.

8. airportbar

airportbar Member

This has been the policy at my local GC for years now.

9. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I heard the same thing from them recently...

10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

he did say they will still price match so perhaps that's what he was doing for you but, I shop at this GC a LOT and the guys that know me are upfront with me.

11. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

Last time I was in, they barely had any low to mid level Fender stuff. Didn't even have one Fender Standard Telecaster in stock!

Not much reason to walk into GC or Sam Ash anymore (and probably hasn't been for years).

12. rsm

rsm Member

One you are "the man" you don't stick it to yourself.

:brick

I prefer internet shopping with good return policies. I rarely have returned things however....

13. rummy

rummy Member

More reason not to shop at GC.

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You don't ask for "a discount on my purchase" at the store. You ask for a "15% off coupon" before you arrive.

15. sleewell

sleewell Member

people still go there???

16. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

17. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

This.

GC reminds of a time gone by, like walking into a mall with a huge, loud arcade with flickering black lights. No thanks.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

It's yet another example of big data bean counting metrics calling the shots. They can tailor the pricing policy to individual stores and lines of merchandise. They can even more narrowly filter it if they want. Therefore, you might get highly variable pricing depending on particular circumstances.

Guitar Center is owned by Bain Capital and those guys are one of the ultimate metrics mavens. It's all about the numbers to them, customers don't matter that much. I guess it's good if you're an investor but it kind of sucks for everybody else.

19. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

I hear that same thing from guys who want to maximize their commission. :D

20. ixnay

ixnay Member

So i can pay full MAP + tax at GC for an item that is essentially used, or I can get the same item (in an unopened box) online for 15-20% less and no sales tax (for most people)?

Sounds like a tough choice...