No more solderless for me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, May 29, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I was rewiring my new pedalboard setup, and in it I use 5 George L's patch cables. I did the job carefully and what I thought was accurate and correct, but when testing it, all my OD's sounded thin and fuzzy, with a lot of bass and treble rolled off.

I guess that's it for me: no more solderless cables. I'll be placing my order with Lavacables shortly. I'm sure George L's solderless is fine for those with the technical precision and skills to do so, but not for me, I admit it.

2. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Really?? Darn. I just bought a whole bunch of George L's connectors. I plan on using them with the Bill Lawrence cable I have left, which is lots. I think think they use the same cable size (the thin stuff). Now I'm second guessing my purchase. Oh well, I'll make a few up and test them out. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

3. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

For a gigging musician I think the george l's blow...They were always coming apart or just intermitent...Try the lava cable solderless cable kit...It really works and I havent broken one yet...

4. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

I can't attest to the quality (or lack thereof) of solderless cables, but I've always been a believer of simply soldering my own cables. For $50 you can get everything you need, and it really isn't as time consuming and complicated as people might think.

5. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

The answer is Bill Lawrence's Wilde cables. They're great.

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

You're probably right. I should just learn to solder and save myself a whole pile of cash.

7. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    I went the same exact way as you a month ago. I was so sick of the solderless crap, just got some nice cable from lavacable and havent looked back since.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I gig 3-4 nights a week and have some George L's that are over 20 years old and still work perfectly...I love them, but am used to them...the key, IMHO, is once you cut to length, gently squeeze the cable back into "round" since it usually gets a little oval shaped from the cutting process.

I then just kind of gently screw the end onto the cable rather than jamming it in. I honestly have never had any problems with them. I use them more for pedalboards and neatly wiring up racks to length.

To each his own.

:BEER

9. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

try the planet waves kit...my pedalboard has been holding up for about two years now and never had to repair one connection.

10. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Totally agree. A youtube video and 15 min. of experiementing and I was making my own cables. I was able to get the cable, connectors, and soldering equipment for less than lava or george L's would have cost.

11. meterman

meterman Member

When making the George L cables, after you slide the end of the cable into the jack you have to bend the cable over to get the cap threaded. The trick is once you have the cap on just enough to hold, let go of the cable and let it spring back up before screwing in the cap. Then screw in the cap until finger tight, not all the way down. By letting the cable spring back up before you screw the cap down the cap cuts the cable sheath at an angle, providing some strain relief against the cable pulling out and more surface area for the cap to make ground connection with the shield wire. If you keep the cable bent sharply over while you screw the cap down, the cap cuts the cable sheath more perpendicular and there is less surface area for the ground connection and it's more apt to come loose and buzz.

I learned this straight from George L's daughter at a Nashville NAMM a few years ago. Since then I've used them alot and have had a few, but not many problems with them. Cables that get plugged and unplugged alot need to be constantly checked and peridoically rebuilt. Fortunately once you get the hang of it it takes less than a minute or so to do. The problem is, a cable problem at an inopportune time can be a disaster so you have to be dilligent about checking to make sure the caps are tight before gigs, etc. The most common problem is for a cap to loosen up over time until the ground connection is lost, at which point you will get a very loud hum. Periodically checking that the caps are tight can more or less eliminate most of these issues.....

I finally recently got over a bad soldering experience LOL :) and built some nice mini ELC soldered cables. Not hard really and I like the solid feel of them....

Both the George L and Lava are a big step up from the generic music store cheapies that I was using before....

12. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

I had an issue with solderless and making the right kind of connections. The last time I set up my board with solderless, I did something wrong (which I find is easy to do) with a cable and basically, the only thing it affected was the taper of the volume pedal. I didn't find out until the gig that I actually had an issue with it. It was really weird. The pedal was somewhat shorting out between the volume pedal out and the next pedal in line. I took a few hours the next day and soldered my cables together. I feel much better about them now, and everything sounds and works properly.

13. bisticles

bisticles Member

Where are people getting the cables and jacks to solder their own cables? I'm handy with a soldering iron and wouldn't mind making up my own connections next time.

14. iggs

iggs Member

I never had probs with GL's ... [​IMG]

15. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Your local music store should have them, they often carry plugs and sell cable in bulk. Probably cheaper to get them in any electronics supply shop though. They should have a good selection of 1/4 plugs as well as cable.

16. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

dont judge ALL solderless cables based on george l's...thats like thinking all distortion pedals suck because of a boss ds-1...

planet waves are awesome...no reliability issues, no tone suck issues

17. drod2045

drod2045 Member

just intalled lava solderless. judging by the feel of the cable alone, i dont think reliability will be an issue :)

also, I had GL cable prior and had no issues. the lava's feel that much better too (not to mention sound much better - no bass/mid tone suck!)

18. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Why would you buy GL connectors to use with BL cable? That makes absolutely no sense to me. BL Cable and Connectors or BL Connectors and GL cable maybe. But the beauty of the BL stuff is the connectors, not to mention the cable DOES sound better than the GL as well. Very backwards in my opinion.

19. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

George L's straight = no problems
    George L's angaled = major hassle and I have tried all the methods to make them work

Right now I do not need any cables but I might get some Lava solderless just to make my board nicer looking when I get some extra $.

20. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

george ls are really the only crap solderless cable kit. I use core x2 with zero problems.